C4 Brakes

Old February 15th 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charles Kormos

Default C4 Brakes

Hello Everyone,
At 36k miles my '96 needed brakes. Midas is just down the street and
I always took my old pickup there for basic repairs and never had a
problem. I figured "brakes is brakes" so I took the Corvette there for
new front rotors and pads all around.
Now at least half the time the brakes squeal. Also if I step on them
hard from about 70-80 mph there is vibration.
So what did Midas do wrong? Any recommendations on where to take the
car next to have the job done right? Also, are there any aftermarkets
availables that are better than stock?

Thanks,
Tikbalang

Old February 15th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Thundergod

Vibration is from unbalanced or too thin rotors..Midas screwed up..they may
have cut down the rotors too much or not done it properly..My advise is to
invest in new rotors ,they are not that expensive..Also get some top quality
brake pads.HAWK is excellent..see Ecklers or who ever or try ebay..they have
some excellent prices on top quality pads..but don't overdo the pad
thing...racing pads will be hard and may require extra pedal effort. Midas
is NOT the place to go for quality Vette work..look up some other local
source...see if they will install parts that you purchase. Or at least have
them buy some good stuff. I bought all my pads and rotors on ebay..saved a
lot of $$$ and got excellent parts.

Old February 15th 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
TroY

www.tirerack .com sells hawk and EBC brake pads and rotors.. i have the EBC
green stuff pads on my 88 and they were way better than stock.. I've used
Hawk pads before on other vehicles and they are good also.. i don't trust
anyone working on my vette, so all the maintenance is by ME.....I would take
it to a Dealer before going to some place like midas or firestone....

troy

Old February 15th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Kickstart[_1_]

Also, are there any aftermarkets
> availables that are better than stock?
>
> Thanks,
> Tikbalang

www.vbandp.com

for your reading pleasure
Midas may not be @ fault, could be excessive brake dust.
Ask what kind of pads they used, metallic , semi ?

kickstart

Are brakes simply brakes? Julie P. Technology 8 January 9th 07 12:12 AM
Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes, A Historical Question phaeton Technology 39 November 19th 06 10:12 AM
new brakes GT[_1_] Alfa Romeo 4 October 11th 06 05:07 PM
Bad brakes 97 dodg ram 4x4 360 RWAL brakes paulsblog Chrysler 0 July 27th 06 05:02 PM
brakes - how much Tom Alfa Romeo 2 January 12th 06 07:34 PM