1998 Grand 8 cyl 5.9

Old September 16th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

Default Lift, was: 1998 Grand 8 cyl 5.9

"billy ray" > wrote in
:

> My dad has one of those 'go-karts', and it is difficult for my mom
> and sister to disassemble it when they go on a trip.

I know, I tried that for some time, finally gave up as my arthritis got
worse and got the lift.

> What lift do you have?

I bought mine used and added the swing away option (it also was second
hand).

http://www.worldwide-mobility.com/

Mine is the same as the current Ultra model but does not have the
automatic tilt feature, that's not a problem because there's more than
enough clearance.

> Wish you'd gotten something else?

No, I'm pretty happy with it and I've compared it to others that I
don't like as well because of cheaper construction, less convenience,
etc. Note, these are personal opinions.

> Thoughts/comments?

Thought: I'd like some potato chips to go with watching football on TV,
you got any?

Comment: There's lots of ways to carry a scooter, the outside lift such
as mine is far and away the easiest to use for the least money. It
also creates problems, the vehicle sticks way farther in back when the
scooter is loaded and is harder to backup, many vehicles will require
air adjustable shocks (lift weighs about 100lbs, scooters can weigh as
much as 225lbs although most are under 200lbs.

Another comment: Where's those potato chips?

Old September 16th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Those look nice and I'm sure Dad would get out more if they could easily
load up his go cart.

I had thought of modifying one of those cargo haulers that you slide into
your 2" receiver so it could be readily mounted/dismounted.

Old September 17th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

"billy ray" > wrote in
:

> Those look nice and I'm sure Dad would get out more if they could
> easily load up his go cart.
>
> I had thought of modifying one of those cargo haulers that you
> slide into your 2" receiver so it could be readily
> mounted/dismounted.

It's really worth the extra bucks. With the lift he lowers the lift,
rides the scooter on to it and then has to get off because the lift
can't handle the extra weight. He raises the lift and then gets into
the car/truck/jeep/etc. and drives off. At his destination he does it
in reverse order.

Notice the ONLY time he has to stand or walk is from the scooter to the
lift to raise it (eliminated if he swivels the seat around, he'll be
getting off the scooter right at the lift switch), then to the vehicle
to get in and during that time he has plenty of things to hold on to if
he needs a little help.

Even I can manage that and plan to be able to for many years. When I
can't stand or walk at all I'll consider options...

Old September 17th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Dad would buy it in a minute if the dog needed it, If mom had trouble
getting around he'd buy one of those special vans.

The only way we were able to get him to use a properly designed cane was for
his $5 model to disappear one night when he was asleep.

Darn cheapo Germans.....

Old September 17th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

Default 1998 Grand 8 cyl 5.9

In message . com>, "Ed" wrote:

>bllsht wrote:
>> In message .com>, "Ed" wrote:
>>
>> >A few days ago I bought a '98 Grand Cherokee with 8Cyl 5.9 and now I
>> >see that it might be necessary to use premium gas. Bad news but is it
>> >true?

>> The 5.9 came programmed to run premium, but can be reprogrammed to run on
>> regular.

>Thanks to all who responded. I will use regular and see what happens
>and the mention about reprogramming will take care of any problem.
> Ed. Kelly

It will ping if you run regular without reprogramming it.
Old September 17th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

:

>> FWIW I was told that the computer can be programmed for lower
>> octane gas.

>Correct, but as I said, it's a waste of time and money. The knock
>sensor will do exactly the same thing, retard the spark with exactly
>the same results, less performance and less gas mileage.

Nice advice except for one small problem. The 5.9 doesn't have a knock sensor.
It will happily ping it's self to death if you run regular without reprogramming
it.

Old September 17th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

http://www.ultralightnews.com/hirth/readingpistons.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 17th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

bllsht > wrote in
:

> In message >, "XS11E"
> wrote:
>
>>"Doug" > wrote in
m:

>>> FWIW I was told that the computer can be programmed for lower
>>> octane gas.

>>Correct, but as I said, it's a waste of time and money. The knock
>>sensor will do exactly the same thing, retard the spark with
>>exactly the same results, less performance and less gas mileage.

> Nice advice except for one small problem. The 5.9 doesn't have a
> knock sensor. It will happily ping it's self to death if you run
> regular without reprogramming it.

No knock sensor? Is it fuel injected?

Old September 18th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

yes it is you have a rt engine that is also in the dakota truck

Old September 18th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

u reprogam that controler and you will lose the timing curve that goes with the
higherflow heads not to mention the detonation that takes place