88 XJ won't start

Old July 27th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
AWantz

Default 88 XJ won't start

I have a 88 XJ with a 4.0l 5 speed and it won't start. It does this off
and on with no real rime or reason. Its getting no spark to the plugs
but its getting power to the starter because it runs and is hitting the
flywheel because you can move with the starter.

Old July 27th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Heheheh I have a 90 XJ and I replaced the cps sensor and even spiffied up
the ground strap. It then only once in a while didn't start when cranking
it, mostly when my girlfriend was in the car, so she would just give me that
look like "what a piece of crap I can't believe you bought this thing just
to have 2 jeeps we should have taken mine".

Since then I have taken some contact cleaner spray and cleaned and sprayed
every electrical connection under the hood. Haven't had a problem since.
But before I did that I'd usually just open the hood, unplug and plug back
in most connectors I could see, and put the ignition forward for a few
seconds and back again for about 3 or 4 times, then it would crank.

Troy

Old July 27th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
GTI

AWantz wrote:
> I have a 88 XJ with a 4.0l 5 speed and it won't start. It does this off
> and on with no real rime or reason. Its getting no spark to the plugs
> but its getting power to the starter because it runs and is hitting the
> flywheel because you can move with the starter.

Check to make sure you Crank Position Sensor is working properly. My
Cherokee was going the same thing until I changed it out.

Old July 30th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
AWantz

Well the CPS seems to be the problem because I disconnected it and
reconnected to a couple of times and it started. The time is now it
keeps holding a very high idle like 2500 rpms and won't kick down does
anybody have any ideas. And thank you very much everyone for the help!!!

Old July 30th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

AWantz wrote:
> Well the CPS seems to be the problem because I disconnected it and
> reconnected to a couple of times and it started. The time is now it
> keeps holding a very high idle like 2500 rpms and won't kick down does
> anybody have any ideas. And thank you very much everyone for the
> help!!!

Double check the tb butterfly is closed
and that the connector on the idle air motor is
connected. If there is any crud built up on the
throttle body then clean it. Especially the idle
air passage.

Could be it has lost the throttle position settings.
Turn the ignition to on (not start)
get under the hood and move the throttle plate
from full closed to full open, hold it open
for a few seconds then slowly return it to full
closed. (do this about three times)
then get in and turn the key off. Then start
the engine.

--
DougW

Old July 31st 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

In message <SO3zg.67257$9c6.40504@dukeread11>, "DougW" wrote:

>AWantz wrote:
>> Well the CPS seems to be the problem because I disconnected it and
>> reconnected to a couple of times and it started. The time is now it
>> keeps holding a very high idle like 2500 rpms and won't kick down does
>> anybody have any ideas. And thank you very much everyone for the
>> help!!!

>Double check the tb butterfly is closed
>and that the connector on the idle air motor is
>connected. If there is any crud built up on the
>throttle body then clean it. Especially the idle
>air passage.
>
>Could be it has lost the throttle position settings.
>Turn the ignition to on (not start)
>get under the hood and move the throttle plate
>from full closed to full open, hold it open
>for a few seconds then slowly return it to full
>closed. (do this about three times)
>then get in and turn the key off. Then start
>the engine.

You forgot the part about walking one complete circle around the vehicle, then
spit three times before trying to start it.

Old July 31st 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

bllsht proclaimed:

> In message <SO3zg.67257$9c6.40504@dukeread11>, "DougW" wrote:
>

>>AWantz wrote:
>>
>>>Well the CPS seems to be the problem because I disconnected it and
>>>reconnected to a couple of times and it started. The time is now it
>>>keeps holding a very high idle like 2500 rpms and won't kick down does
>>>anybody have any ideas. And thank you very much everyone for the
>>>help!!!

>>Double check the tb butterfly is closed
>>and that the connector on the idle air motor is
>>connected. If there is any crud built up on the
>>throttle body then clean it. Especially the idle
>>air passage.
>>
>>Could be it has lost the throttle position settings.
>>Turn the ignition to on (not start)
>>get under the hood and move the throttle plate

>>from full closed to full open, hold it open

>>for a few seconds then slowly return it to full
>>closed. (do this about three times)
>>then get in and turn the key off. Then start
>>the engine.

> You forgot the part about walking one complete circle around the vehicle, then
> spit three times before trying to start it.

I thought it was walk three times widdershins, spit once.
Lifting the hood and muttering obscure incantations, optional.

Old August 1st 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Ya know, I'm gonna try that next. I've found out that after driving my xj
and it gets really warmed up and all, then park for more than 30 minutes or
so that it wont crank, so I open the hood and plug in, plug out the cps plug
a few times, then try to start it and after a few times it actually does
start. Danged thing is that it's a new cps sensor that I put on a couple
months ago. It was such a PITA that I don't really wanna put another one
back in, but what in the hell could be going on wrong here?

Troy

Old August 2nd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_1_]

GTI wrote:
> AWantz wrote:
>
>>I have a 88 XJ with a 4.0l 5 speed and it won't start. It does this off
>>and on with no real rime or reason. Its getting no spark to the plugs
>>but its getting power to the starter because it runs and is hitting the
>>flywheel because you can move with the starter.

> Check to make sure you Crank Position Sensor is working properly. My
> Cherokee was going the same thing until I changed it out.

He might not even need to change it out. My `89 would fire right up
after unplugging and replugging the CPS. It happened about 3 times a year.
Old August 3rd 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Kearney[_1_]

> > You forgot the part about walking one complete circle around the
vehicle, then
> > spit three times before trying to start it.

> I thought it was walk three times widdershins, spit once.
> Lifting the hood and muttering obscure incantations, optional.

What? You guys don't have to do the goat sacrifice too? Man, you're
gettin' off easy.