A6 Won't Start

Old January 27th 06, 06:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default A6 Won't Start

Hi,

I have a '99 A6 2.8 with 80k on it, good battery, starter cranks but sounds
like engine isn't turning over and won't start. Anyone have experience with
this?

Thanks in advance,
MZ

Please reply to

Old January 27th 06, 06:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

If you keep it in good repair, it's probably just flooded. Crank with
accelerator full down until cleared. If you haven't done any main other
than oil change, it could be a number of items including timing chain.

Old January 27th 06, 09:06 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

The message >
from "MZ" > contains these words:

> I have a '99 A6 2.8 with 80k on it, good battery, starter cranks but sounds
> like engine isn't turning over and won't start.

If it sounds like it's turning over very freely and without all the
usual noises, check the cam belt.

If it's not even doing that then it sounds like the starter's not
engaging - try giving it a whack with the handle of a screwdriver.

--
Skipweasel
Old January 27th 06, 12:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Did you recently start the car and then shut it off shortly there after?
(Like starting it to move it from point A to point B in your driveway).

Old January 27th 06, 01:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

No, drove it as usual and parked it in garage.
MZ
. ..

Old January 27th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

MZ,
Have someone crank the car over while you watch the front pulley on the
crankshaft and open the oil cap and (if it's possible, I know you can on a
1980 5k, but not on a 1987 5kt) look at the camshafts. If the crank turns
and the cam shafts don't, you probably have a broken timing belt. If the
crank doesn't turn, you may have a broken starter, or a missing tooth on the
ring gear.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Sonoma won't start Bill Technology 3 March 30th 05 03:45 PM
Passat won't start Tado VW water cooled 8 December 23rd 04 05:38 PM
156 start problems ?! Canonian Alfa Romeo 15 December 8th 04 09:57 AM
periodically won't start missjoan Saturn 4 November 1st 04 06:48 PM