Sleeping pills can cause 'sleep-driving'

Old March 15th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

Default Sleeping pills can cause 'sleep-driving'

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/14....ap/index.html

"All prescription sleeping pills may sometimes cause sleep-driving,
federal health officials warned Wednesday, almost a year after the
bizarre side effect first made headlines when Rep. Patrick Kennedy
crashed his car after taking Ambien."

"Some of the insomnia drugs may be riskier than others, so FDA also
recommended that manufacturers conduct clinical trials to figure that
out. The drugs a Ambien; Butisol sodium; Carbrital; Dalmane; Doral;
Halcion; Lunesta; Placidyl; Prosom; Restoril; Rozerem; Seconal; Sonata."

I had one of those zombie-like Ducklings yesterday. I was in the right
lane doing 85 in a 100 zone and I noticed an LLB doing about the same
speed behind me. I wanted to pass a slower car, so I started to pass
normally. The LLB sped up and appeared to almost hit me. It then
tailgated me at a speed of 100 until I moved back to the right. After I
slowed down to my original speed, the LLB passed me and then slowed down
to match my speed again, after the blocked drivers had passed this
obstruction. I slowed down to 70, but the Duckling wouldn't budge. As
I was approaching my exit, the Duckling pulled behind me and also turned
off at the exit. I stopped at a red traffic signal for a right-turn and
the Duckling seemed to be trying to get around me. It then tailgated me
as I followed the traffic through a 60 zone, and used a passing zone to
speed past me. If it was in such a hurry, why didn't it speed up and
move over when it was holding up traffic earlier instead of playing
Duckling? Of course, it only got stuck behind more traffic, so I was
behind it again at another traffic signal. It was in the leftmost
left-turn lane and I was in the second turn-lane. The signal turned
green but the Duckling didn't move until several cars in my lane had
passed it. What's wrong with these drivers? Maybe it's one of those
stupid pills.
Old March 15th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,alt.politics
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Alexander Rogge > wrote in news:55rh71F26eb2vU1
@mid.individual.net:

> http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/14....ap/index.html
>
> "All prescription sleeping pills may sometimes cause sleep-driving,
> federal health officials warned Wednesday, almost a year after the
> bizarre side effect first made headlines when Rep. Patrick Kennedy
> crashed his car after taking Ambien."
>
> "Some of the insomnia drugs may be riskier than others, so FDA also
> recommended that manufacturers conduct clinical trials to figure that
> out. The drugs a Ambien; Butisol sodium; Carbrital; Dalmane; Doral;
> Halcion; Lunesta; Placidyl; Prosom; Restoril; Rozerem; Seconal; Sonata."

And there's really no good way to catch medicated people. That's why we
need a law that anyone found at fault in a fatal crash must serve at least
20 years in prison. Then people would be damn careful about driving while
sleepy. Also driving while drunk or while eating or on a cell phone too.
Stop the coddling and stop the killing.
Old March 15th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Speeders & Drunk
Drivers are MURDERERS, the connoisseur of gay kid porn and other
disgusting stuff spewed forth this crapola all over the landscape in
rec.autos.driving:

> Stop the coddling and stop the killing.

No ****ing way. All this safety first crap has dumbed down the
population to the level of the village idiot; prome example, the poster
named "Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers.". We need more highway
deaths to flush the crap like you out of the species.

--
Loco laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE shows us how stupid it really is
and that foreign royalty deserves preferential treatment:

"This driver killed two people!! Don't portray her as representing
the american people!!! I hope she's locked up forever and i don't
care if she killed a king or a homeless bum."
-- laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE, 7/13/06

Ref: http://tinyurl.com/g2fea
Message ID:
Old March 15th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Alexander Rogge > wrote in
:

> http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/14....ap/index.html
>
> "All prescription sleeping pills may sometimes cause sleep-driving,
> federal health officials warned Wednesday, almost a year after the
> bizarre side effect first made headlines when Rep. Patrick Kennedy
> crashed his car after taking Ambien."
>
> "Some of the insomnia drugs may be riskier than others, so FDA also
> recommended that manufacturers conduct clinical trials to figure that
> out. The drugs a Ambien; Butisol sodium; Carbrital; Dalmane; Doral;
> Halcion; Lunesta; Placidyl; Prosom; Restoril; Rozerem; Seconal; Sonata."
>

> I had one of those zombie-like Ducklings yesterday. I was in the right
> lane doing 85 in a 100 zone and I noticed an LLB doing about the same
> speed behind me. I wanted to pass a slower car, so I started to pass
> normally. The LLB sped up and appeared to almost hit me. It then
> tailgated me at a speed of 100 until I moved back to the right. After I
> slowed down to my original speed, the LLB passed me and then slowed down
> to match my speed again, after the blocked drivers had passed this
> obstruction. I slowed down to 70, but the Duckling wouldn't budge. As
> I was approaching my exit, the Duckling pulled behind me and also turned
> off at the exit. I stopped at a red traffic signal for a right-turn and
> the Duckling seemed to be trying to get around me. It then tailgated me
> as I followed the traffic through a 60 zone, and used a passing zone to
> speed past me. If it was in such a hurry, why didn't it speed up and
> move over when it was holding up traffic earlier instead of playing
> Duckling? Of course, it only got stuck behind more traffic, so I was
> behind it again at another traffic signal. It was in the leftmost
> left-turn lane and I was in the second turn-lane. The signal turned
> green but the Duckling didn't move until several cars in my lane had
> passed it. What's wrong with these drivers? Maybe it's one of those
> stupid pills.

more likely cranial rectitis [head up ass],or terminal cluelessness.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 15th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,alt.politics
Uncle Clover[_2_]

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:29:01 GMT, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS" > wrote:

<snip>
> [...] we need a law that anyone found at fault in a fatal
> crash must serve at least 20 years in prison. Then people
> would be damn careful about driving while sleepy.

I don't think it would help in the case of people like those described
in the article - they supposedly aren't conscious at the time, or
perhaps only half conscious and not quite in control of the
experience. If you didn't knowingly make the decision to drive and
that can be proven, I'm not sure how much liability can be placed upon
you if the drive results in an accident. I remember the case of a man
who drove to the parents of his (wife? girlfriend?) and killed them -
it was demonstrated that he was likely sleepwalking at the time (some
brain scan or another demonstrated that he was undeniably prone to
sleepwalking), and so he was found not guilty of a murder charge.
Old March 15th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harold Burton

In article >,
Alexander Rogge > wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/14....ap/index.html
>
> "All prescription sleeping pills may sometimes cause sleep-driving,
> federal health officials warned Wednesday, almost a year after the
> bizarre side effect first made headlines when Rep. Patrick Kennedy
> crashed his car after taking Ambien."
>
> "Some of the insomnia drugs may be riskier than others, so FDA also
> recommended that manufacturers conduct clinical trials to figure that
> out. The drugs a Ambien; Butisol sodium; Carbrital; Dalmane; Doral;
> Halcion; Lunesta; Placidyl; Prosom; Restoril; Rozerem; Seconal; Sonata."
>

> I had one of those zombie-like Ducklings yesterday. I was in the right
> lane doing 85 in a 100 zone and I noticed an LLB doing about the same
> speed behind me. I wanted to pass a slower car, so I started to pass
> normally. The LLB sped up and appeared to almost hit me. It then
> tailgated me at a speed of 100 until I moved back to the right. After I
> slowed down to my original speed, the LLB passed me and then slowed down
> to match my speed again, after the blocked drivers had passed this
> obstruction. I slowed down to 70, but the Duckling wouldn't budge. As
> I was approaching my exit, the Duckling pulled behind me and also turned
> off at the exit. I stopped at a red traffic signal for a right-turn and
> the Duckling seemed to be trying to get around me. It then tailgated me
> as I followed the traffic through a 60 zone, and used a passing zone to
> speed past me. If it was in such a hurry, why didn't it speed up and
> move over when it was holding up traffic earlier instead of playing
> Duckling? Of course, it only got stuck behind more traffic, so I was
> behind it again at another traffic signal. It was in the leftmost
> left-turn lane and I was in the second turn-lane. The signal turned
> green but the Duckling didn't move until several cars in my lane had
> passed it. What's wrong with these drivers? Maybe it's one of those
> stupid pills.

Or a cell phone.
Old March 15th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,alt.politics
Harold Burton

In article 01>,
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote:

> Alexander Rogge > wrote in news:55rh71F26eb2vU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
> > http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/14....ap/index.html
> >
> > "All prescription sleeping pills may sometimes cause sleep-driving,
> > federal health officials warned Wednesday, almost a year after the
> > bizarre side effect first made headlines when Rep. Patrick Kennedy
> > crashed his car after taking Ambien."
> >
> > "Some of the insomnia drugs may be riskier than others, so FDA also
> > recommended that manufacturers conduct clinical trials to figure that
> > out. The drugs a Ambien; Butisol sodium; Carbrital; Dalmane; Doral;
> > Halcion; Lunesta; Placidyl; Prosom; Restoril; Rozerem; Seconal; Sonata."

> And there's really no good way to catch medicated people. That's why we
> need a law that anyone found at fault in a fatal crash must serve at least
> 20 years in prison.

Too bad that wasn't in effect when the infamous drunk Teddy Kennedy
murdered Mary Jo Kopechne.
Old March 15th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Steve B[_2_]

"Alexander Rogge" > wrote

> "All prescription sleeping pills may sometimes cause sleep-driving,
> federal health officials warned Wednesday, almost a year after the bizarre
> side effect first made headlines when Rep. Patrick Kennedy crashed his car
> after taking Ambien."

I got one prescription of Ambien. After I took one pill, my wife said I
talked to her for half an hour and didn't make one bit of sense. She said
she thought I was having a stroke. I then fell asleep.

When I took the second one, I was in my mountain cabin. I was trying to
open the second story window in an effort to find the bathroom in the middle
of the night. It would have been a 30 foot fall onto rocks.

I flushed the rest of them the next day.

It is amazing what big business can get cleared with the right amount of
money. And how some things that are actually good for people take a long
time to be okayed if they ever are.

Steve

Old March 15th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,alt.politics
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Uncle Clover > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:29:01 GMT, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
> MURDERERS" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> [...] we need a law that anyone found at fault in a fatal
>> crash must serve at least 20 years in prison. Then people
>> would be damn careful about driving while sleepy.

> I don't think it would help in the case of people like those described
> in the article - they supposedly aren't conscious at the time, or
> perhaps only half conscious and not quite in control of the
> experience. If you didn't knowingly make the decision to drive and
> that can be proven, I'm not sure how much liability can be placed upon
> you if the drive results in an accident. I remember the case of a man
> who drove to the parents of his (wife? girlfriend?) and killed them -
> it was demonstrated that he was likely sleepwalking at the time (some
> brain scan or another demonstrated that he was undeniably prone to
> sleepwalking), and so he was found not guilty of a murder charge.

Screw you and screw your criminal coddler talk. You're another one of these
candy-ass wimps that don't think people should be held responsible for
their actions. No doubt you also think drunk drivers who kill should escape
prosecution cause "he was so smashed he didn't know what he was doing."

Old March 15th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,alt.politics
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Harold Burton > wrote in
:

> In article 01>,
> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote:
>

>> And there's really no good way to catch medicated people. That's why
>> we need a law that anyone found at fault in a fatal crash must serve
>> at least 20 years in prison.

> Too bad that wasn't in effect when the infamous drunk Teddy Kennedy
> murdered Mary Jo Kopechne.

Bad example since we don't know ted was at fault. A better example is laura
bush who definitely ran a stop sign and killed a guy.