85 security reset

Old July 19th 05, 12:45 PM
hanz85vette

Default 85 security reset

i have a 85 vette. sometimes, when i try to start the car nothing
happens and the security alarm starts to beep with the key in the on
position. my lights, display and windows work fine. i was wondering if
there was any way to disable the security system or turn it off.

Old July 19th 05, 03:58 PM
Tom in Missouri

There is but the problem is probably your key. It is a known problem that
as the contacts on the pellet on the key wear and get dirty, these problems
occur. Try cleaning the contacts on the key or using your spare key.

You may have to get a new key made at the dealer.

There are pellet replacement bypass methods but then you have no security.

oups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 10:56 PM
Dale

85 does not have VATS. That started in 86. The 85 has a simple metal
key with no pellet or contacts.

There is no way (that I know of) to disable the alarm system on an 85
short of removing the battery. I am used to the problem being in a
door or hatch switch but putting the key in and turning it should stop
any alarm, not set it off.

I've also heard of someone trying to pick a door lock and screwing up
the anti-tamper contact. That requires replacing the door lock.
Again, though, turning the key should stop the beeping, not start it.

Could the ignition switch have been tampered with?

On or about Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:58:25 GMT, "Tom in Missouri"
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>There is but the problem is probably your key. It is a known problem that
>as the contacts on the pellet on the key wear and get dirty, these problems
>occur. Try cleaning the contacts on the key or using your spare key.
>
>You may have to get a new key made at the dealer.
>
>There are pellet replacement bypass methods but then you have no security.

roups.com...

Old July 20th 05, 02:04 AM
'Key

"Dale" > wrote in message
---snip some---
> I've also heard of someone trying to pick a door lock and
> screwing up
> the anti-tamper contact.

---snip some more---

Dale,
Its not really practical to even try to pick a (side-bar)
style lock.
(no locksmith that I know of would even try)
not to say that a clueless person wouldn't try though :-)
also,
I have never seen any type "anti-tamper contact" inside the
keyway portion of the lock.

my2¢
--
"Key"

Old July 20th 05, 06:11 AM
hanz85vette

i disabled the security. i took off the dash and pulled with the fuse
to the cluster.my car starts now, the lights and gauges work fine.the
only problem is i dont have any alarm on the car and my dash is in my
passenger seat.

Old July 20th 05, 02:56 PM
JOEVET

I have an '86 so i'm not sure of how that alarm works. The current
alarms in vehicles today can be reset by unhooking the battery for a few
minutes. That worked for my "family" car alarm.