03 a4 1.8t vaccum problems... maybe a valve?

Old April 9th 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 03 a4 1.8t vaccum problems... maybe a valve?

Got an 03 A4 1.8t. Lightly chipped and no other modifications.

Heres the issue. Under acceleration I can hear a hiss from the engine
compartment. No noticeable change in performance but sometimes when I
come to an idle, its rough and I can hear a little hiss. I get out..
pop the hood and identify the source of the his... and give it a
thump. The valve snaps itself together, the hiss goes away and the
idle returns to normal. What valve is this? Does it normally snap
apart like its doing? If I removed it from its assembly I believe it
would just fall apart. Is that normal?

http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/engine.jpg
This is a shot of the engine compartment with the questionable valves
location circled.

http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/valve.jpg
This is the actual valve. You can see the dust free fingerpriunt on
the side when Ive been pushing on it to pop it back into place.

Any ideas?

Jake

Old April 10th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sami D.

On Apr 9, 1:17 pm, wrote:
> Got an 03 A4 1.8t. Lightly chipped and no other modifications.
>
> Heres the issue. Under acceleration I can hear a hiss from the engine
> compartment. No noticeable change in performance but sometimes when I
> come to an idle, its rough and I can hear a little hiss. I get out..
> pop the hood and identify the source of the his... and give it a
> thump. The valve snaps itself together, the hiss goes away and the
> idle returns to normal. What valve is this? Does it normally snap
> apart like its doing? If I removed it from its assembly I believe it
> would just fall apart. Is that normal?
>
> http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/engine.jpg
> This is a shot of the engine compartment with the questionable valves
> location circled.
>
> http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/valve.jpg
> This is the actual valve. You can see the dust free fingerpriunt on
> the side when Ive been pushing on it to pop it back into place.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jake

Its not normal. i'm forgetting the name for it and its proper
function, but its part of the vacuum line and its linked to the brake
system. Apparently its a pretty common problem with Audi. I just
taped the split together (where it keeps popping out from) and drove
my car for about a month until I got a chance to change it. Easy fix,
took about 30 minutes in all, part cost less than $50

Old April 10th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ok... I took the valve out. Its a suction pump. part #058 133 753 b.

Why would the end pop off of it like this? Is this a sign of some
other problem in the vacuum system?
The valve (or pump, as its called) didnt fail or clog, that I can
find. It just seperated into two pieces. Being held together by the
tension of the hoses that it uses to function.

here is the whole pump....
http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/whole.jpg

and here it is with the valve assembly snapped apart
http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/broke.jpg

Is the popping apart of the pump a safety measure to keep something
else more vital from exploding?

Jake

Old April 18th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Apr 10, 3:47 pm, wrote:
> Ok... I took the valve out. Its a suction pump. part #058 133 753 b.
>
> Why would the end pop off of it like this? Is this a sign of some
> other problem in the vacuum system?
> The valve (or pump, as its called) didnt fail or clog, that I can
> find. It just seperated into two pieces. Being held together by the
> tension of the hoses that it uses to function.
>
> here is the whole pump....http://jake.rakestraw.com/images/whole.jpg
>
> and here it is with the valve assembly snapped aparthttp://jake.rakestraw.com/images/broke.jpg
>
> Is the popping apart of the pump a safety measure to keep something
> else more vital from exploding?
>
> Jake

the part is called a suction jet pump not sure what it do yet but i
have the same problem it's only $33 at audi i have one on order