where is this humming noise come from

Old December 14th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
vdu

Default where is this humming noise come from

The noise comes and goes, but now often I can hear it.

Where does it come from? Here are some info that could help:

1) It usually hum when it's cold
2) It hums when the car is standing still (transmission in drive, but I
brake to stop).
3) The humming noise changes a bit (louder/softer) when I turn the
steering a little. Usually, from straight steering, if I turn over,
the noise get louder, even though the car is not even moving (engine
runs, transmission in drive, but brake on).

I originally thought it's the the belt. However, I don't see the
connect between the belt and the steering wheel. I thought it maybe
the transmission (something in there), but put to park and the noise is
still there. One day, I heard a quick hissing noise, and then the
humming when away. I originally thought it's so bad that I have to
have it fixed, then when the noise go away, I thought maybe something
stuck and now released. However, this noise came back.

So, if not the belt, it can also be the gas pump. I had a car with
noise, then the pump went bad. However, I still don't know how the
steering has something to do with this.

So, could it be the steering pump (is there such a thing?), like the
oil pump for the steering?

I don't know. What do you think?

Old December 14th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ironlizard

Yes, this certainly sounds like the power steering pump.
http://ironlizard.blogspot.com

Old December 14th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ironlizard

To elaborate:

The power steering pump is driven by the belt in your car and when your
turn the wheel, pressure increases causing your straining pump to
protest with this groaning sound. If you look around at the items
attached to your belt, you should see one with a resevoir (bottle)
attached. On this resevoir there will be a cap you can remove to check
the power steering fluid level. Simply adding fluid (if it's low), will
often quiet the pump.Otherwise you'll be having a new one installed
soon, or driving without power steering.

Old December 14th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

vdu-is it you humming or a vehicle. If it is a vehicle does it have a
year, make, model, engine size. If its you humming, maybe you could
join a band. jp

Old December 17th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
vdu[_1_]

:-).

I didn't put down the info because thinking the problem is more
generic. But you're right. The more info, the better to diagnose the
problem. Here they a

Chrysler, Town & Country. 2003. 3.8L.

Looking at the oil. It appears to have enough oil. However, the color
appears to be dark. I'll see if the oil is getting old and change the
oil and see if that helps.

Old December 18th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

vdu-sorry about my earlier response-didn't want to sound like a wise
*^# but...some makes and models come with their certain glitches,
quirky issues. I myself specialize in Chevrolet Blazers and thought
that if yours was one of these-that may have prompted a certain
response. Anywho....good luck with your issue! Merry Christmas!(not
politically correct ! ps as to your
problem....when it makes this noise, raise the hood and try to locate
the noise. Possibly taking a 3 foot section of rubber hose(or equiv.)
and carefully listen to find the source of the noise. Sounds like your
on the right track but could be the fuel pump also which will be in the
gas tank but your sound chase will end up there! Good luck...power
steering pump sounds like a good possibility!