heater inspection

Old July 8th 17, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default heater inspection

I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
heater.

Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?
Old July 8th 17, 05:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:
> I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
> woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
> leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
> heater.
>
> Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?

Not enough information.
However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
the Texas inspection. Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

Old July 8th 17, 07:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:42:55 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX > wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
>> woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
>> leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
>> heater.
>>
>> Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?

>Not enough information.
>However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
>the Texas inspection.

Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.

> Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
>like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
never took if for inspection.

My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
for safety. If you've go

Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/
Old July 8th 17, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 8:51:29 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:42:55 -0500, Paul in Houston
> TX > wrote:
>
> >micky wrote:
> >> I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
> >> woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
> >> leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
> >> heater.
> >>
> >> Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?

> >Not enough information.
> >However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
> >the Texas inspection.

> Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.
>
> > Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
> >like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

> She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
> he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
> tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
> never took if for inspection.
>

> My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
> tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
> it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
> doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
> wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
> this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
> for safety. If you've go
>
> Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
> http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

That's the worst way to "fix" a leaky heater. The proper way is to bypass the heater with a section of hose.

BTW, why didn't you do that?
Old July 8th 17, 10:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 00:02:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 8:51:29 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
>> In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:42:55 -0500, Paul in Houston
>> TX > wrote:

>> >Not enough information.
>> >However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
>> >the Texas inspection.

>> Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.
>>
>> > Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
>> >like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

>> She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
>> he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
>> tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
>> never took if for inspection.
>>

>> My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
>> tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
>> it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
>> doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
>> wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
>> this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
>> for safety. If you've go
>>
>> Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
>> http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

>That's the worst way to "fix" a leaky heater. The proper way is to bypass the heater with a section of hose.
>
>BTW, why didn't you do that?

Because then she wouldn't have a heater. The wick didn't work, but not
doing anything else enabled her to drive the car for several more years
and still have heat. The carpet was damp but afaik never soaking wet.
Old July 8th 17, 02:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 00:19:29 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
>woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
>leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
>heater.
>
>Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?

Every single one if it causes (and it usually will) an antifreeze fog
on the inside of the windscreen when the defroster/defogger is used.
Old July 8th 17, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 02:51:22 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:42:55 -0500, Paul in Houston
>TX > wrote:
>
>>micky wrote:
>>> I'm only acquainted with car inspection in Pa.and Md. but on TV I saw a
>>> woman who bougght a used car, found out that the heater core was
>>> leaking, and didn't take it for inspection until after she fixed the
>>> heater.
>>>
>>> Is there any state where that would cause a car to fail inspection?

>>Not enough information.
>>However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
>>the Texas inspection.

>Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.
>
>> Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
>>like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

>She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
>he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
>tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
>never took if for inspection.
>

>My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
>tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
>it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
>doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
>wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
>this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
>for safety. If you've go
>
>Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
>http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????
Old July 9th 17, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 11:40:58 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 00:02:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> <dsi1OdOyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 8:51:29 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:

> >> Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.

> >> She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
> >> he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
> >> tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
> >> never took if for inspection.
> >>

> >> My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
> >> tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
> >> it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
> >> doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
> >> wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
> >> this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
> >> for safety. If you've go
> >>
> >> Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:
> >> http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

> >That's the worst way to "fix" a leaky heater. The proper way is to bypass the heater with a section of hose.
> >
> >BTW, why didn't you do that?

> Because then she wouldn't have a heater. The wick didn't work, but not
> doing anything else enabled her to drive the car for several more years
> and still have heat. The carpet was damp but afaik never soaking wet.

Of course. How silly of me.
Old July 9th 17, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:19:02 -0400,
wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 02:51:22 -0400, micky >
>wrote:
>
>>In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:42:55 -0500, Paul in Houston
>>TX > wrote:

>>>Not enough information.
>>>However, ANY leaks that were noticeable in any vehicle system would fail
>>>the Texas inspection.

>>Okay, that answers my question, there is at least one state.
>>
>>> Texas does not take the car apart for inspections
>>>like in other states though. Nothing is removed.

>>She was in Massachusetts, which allows someone to get his money back if
>>he takes it for inspectation within 7 days of purchase, it fails, and he
>>tells the seller about this in 14 days. Even on an asis sale. But she
>>never took if for inspection.
>>

>>My mother lived in Pa. and for years had a heater core that leaked. I
>>tried drilling a hole in the floor board and threading a wick through
>>it, under the carpet, but it didn't work. Maybe antifreeze and water
>>doesn't wick well, and anyway, the wick blew away after being in the
>>wind for 1000 miles. Pa. had inspection twice a year thne and I'm sure
>>this wouldn't have caused a failure, though Pa. does more than inspect
>>for safety. If you've go
>>
>>Maryland doesn't inspect the cooling system at all:

http://coopersautoservicemd.com/mary...ion-checklist/

> Interesting they do not even require the defroster to work?????

That would certainly be a good idea, but the Coopers Auto page doesn't
list it. He lists wipers but not ws washers. (Nope, not listed. See
link at bottom.)

Maybe it's not complete. I had tried to find the State of Maryland rules
directly, but only found a 150 page pdf file. They should make it
easier to find so people can do their own inspection beforee they take
it, since they only get 30 days to finish once they start.

The last car the guy said I couldn't pass because of some oil dripping
on the exhaust pipe. I don't see that on the list either. He passed me
for an extra 10 or 20 dollars.

The inspection is only once, each time a car is sold used. Although if
the police notice something from the list, they can make you fix it.

This is all I could find on a state webpage
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-01T.htm :

Appendix A:

Vehicle Parts or Systems to be Inspected for passenger cars

Steering system
• Wheel alignment
• Suspension
• Brake system
• Wheels / tires
• Fuel system
• Exhaust system
• Bumpers
• Fenders
• Lights
• Electrical system
• Mirrors
• Glazing (windows)
• Wipers
• Hood / catches
• Door handle latches
• Floor / trunk pans
• Speedometer / odometer
• Driver seat
• Safety belts
• Motor mounts
• Gear shift indicator
• Universal and CV (constant velocity) joints
• Emissions equipment

Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html

Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.
Old July 9th 17, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 5:39:47 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> [...]

> • Exhaust system
> • Bumpers
> • Fenders
> • Lights
> • Electrical system
> • Mirrors
> • Glazing (windows)
> • Wipers
> • Hood / catches
> • Door handle latches
> • Floor / trunk pans
> • Speedometer / odometer
> • Driver seat
> • Safety belts
> • Motor mounts
> • Gear shift indicator
> • Universal and CV (constant velocity) joints
> • Emissions equipment
>
> Ah, here is the image of an actual Report checklist from 2010:
> https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...checklist.html
>
> Maybe the standards were adopted before cars had defrosters.

My understanding is that a check engine or brake light being on might not be a fail condition - but it could be. The rules and regulations on this has quite a few pages - at least that's the way it is in Hawaii. It's also required that photographic documentation is done. A video has to be made that includes the registration and insurance card and the underside of the vehicle. This has to be done in one shot - no editing. It's nuts!

Heater Pipe connected to the rear heater and engine 98 Dodge Caravan -Almazick- Dodge 1 April 22nd 08 04:20 AM
99 wrangler heater problems (can't turn heater off) Jamie Mello Jeep 0 July 8th 07 06:01 PM
1996 XJ 4.0 Cherokee Heater Controls, Heater Lukewarm WildWestAZ Jeep 4 November 28th 05 11:37 PM
Inspection 1 [email protected] BMW 4 October 20th 05 01:24 AM
Inspection II pp BMW 4 November 19th 04 04:37 PM