The best laid plans

Old May 1st 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_5_]

Default The best laid plans

Got in the Jeep at work Friday, and the steering wheel would go about a
quarter turn to the left and a bit farther to the right and the power
steering is making the dreaded sucking sound. Checked the bottle of
fluid I keep on hand, it was empty. Stopped off at NAPA on the way home
for more fluid, topped it up, when I got home I bled it, seemed to be
OK, but I'd had enough of it dripping all over everything and having to
be topped up every time I got gas. So the plan was to go get the parts
and overhaul the damned steering--nice weekend project.

A block away from Advance the "check gages" light comes on and steering
gets very hard. Looked ag gages, tempeature is way high. Stopped,
popped the hood, there's cooland blasting out around the radiator cap
and no belt in sight. Also no pulley on the power steering.

Ordinarily under that circumstance I'd have it towed home, but my bike's
on the fritz as well at the moment, so nothing for it but to tow it down
to Firestone and let them have at it (why Firestone? Because they're
right next door to Enterprise, which simplifies the "arrange alternate
transportation" issue). They want to replace the whole system--that's
what I was going to do anyway, so no biggie excpet that it costs three
times as much to have them do it.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Old May 2nd 16, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> Got in the Jeep at work Friday, and the steering wheel would go about a
> quarter turn to the left and a bit farther to the right and the power
> steering is making the dreaded sucking sound. Checked the bottle of
> fluid I keep on hand, it was empty. Stopped off at NAPA on the way home
> for more fluid, topped it up, when I got home I bled it, seemed to be
> OK, but I'd had enough of it dripping all over everything and having to
> be topped up every time I got gas. So the plan was to go get the parts
> and overhaul the damned steering--nice weekend project.
>
> A block away from Advance the "check gages" light comes on and steering
> gets very hard. Looked ag gages, tempeature is way high. Stopped,
> popped the hood, there's cooland blasting out around the radiator cap
> and no belt in sight. Also no pulley on the power steering.
>
> Ordinarily under that circumstance I'd have it towed home, but my bike's
> on the fritz as well at the moment, so nothing for it but to tow it down
> to Firestone and let them have at it (why Firestone? Because they're
> right next door to Enterprise, which simplifies the "arrange alternate
> transportation" issue). They want to replace the whole system--that's
> what I was going to do anyway, so no biggie excpet that it costs three
> times as much to have them do it.
>
> AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

In the words of my favorite tow truck, "Aw, dang!".

Hope you get it back on the road soon.

Budd

---

Old May 4th 16, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 5/1/2016 11:01 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> Got in the Jeep at work Friday, and the steering wheel would go about a
> quarter turn to the left and a bit farther to the right and the power
> steering is making the dreaded sucking sound. Checked the bottle of
> fluid I keep on hand, it was empty. Stopped off at NAPA on the way home
> for more fluid, topped it up, when I got home I bled it, seemed to be
> OK, but I'd had enough of it dripping all over everything and having to
> be topped up every time I got gas. So the plan was to go get the parts
> and overhaul the damned steering--nice weekend project.
>
> A block away from Advance the "check gages" light comes on and steering
> gets very hard. Looked ag gages, tempeature is way high. Stopped,
> popped the hood, there's cooland blasting out around the radiator cap
> and no belt in sight. Also no pulley on the power steering.
>
> Ordinarily under that circumstance I'd have it towed home, but my bike's
> on the fritz as well at the moment, so nothing for it but to tow it down
> to Firestone and let them have at it (why Firestone? Because they're
> right next door to Enterprise, which simplifies the "arrange alternate
> transportation" issue). They want to replace the whole system--that's
> what I was going to do anyway, so no biggie excpet that it costs three
> times as much to have them do it.
>
> AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Is this a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8? 4WD?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_G...rokee_%28ZJ%29

Sounds like a great vehicle if you can afford the maintenance and the gas.

My brother and I replaced his power steering rack in his 1982 Nissan 280ZX turbo once. I'll never do that again. We were both
underneath the car when the engine suddenly dropped eight inches. Turned out we removed the motor mounts without realizing it.

Lynn
Old May 5th 16, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_5_]

In article >, says...

> On 5/1/2016 11:01 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> > Got in the Jeep at work Friday, and the steering wheel would go about a
> > quarter turn to the left and a bit farther to the right and the power
> > steering is making the dreaded sucking sound. Checked the bottle of
> > fluid I keep on hand, it was empty. Stopped off at NAPA on the way home
> > for more fluid, topped it up, when I got home I bled it, seemed to be
> > OK, but I'd had enough of it dripping all over everything and having to
> > be topped up every time I got gas. So the plan was to go get the parts
> > and overhaul the damned steering--nice weekend project.
> >
> > A block away from Advance the "check gages" light comes on and steering
> > gets very hard. Looked ag gages, tempeature is way high. Stopped,
> > popped the hood, there's cooland blasting out around the radiator cap
> > and no belt in sight. Also no pulley on the power steering.
> >
> > Ordinarily under that circumstance I'd have it towed home, but my bike's
> > on the fritz as well at the moment, so nothing for it but to tow it down
> > to Firestone and let them have at it (why Firestone? Because they're
> > right next door to Enterprise, which simplifies the "arrange alternate
> > transportation" issue). They want to replace the whole system--that's
> > what I was going to do anyway, so no biggie excpet that it costs three
> > times as much to have them do it.
> >
> > AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

> Is this a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8? 4WD?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_G...rokee_%28ZJ%29

> Sounds like a great vehicle if you can afford the maintenance and the gas.

It was, but now it's starting to nickel and dime me to death. If you're
ever tempted to get one, do NOT get one with a sunroof. Frigging thing
leaked the day I took it home and didn't stop until I went over it with
roofing sealer and pulled the fuse and turned it into a window.

> My brother and I replaced his power steering rack in his 1982 Nissan 280ZX turbo once. I'll never do that again. We were both
> underneath the car when the engine suddenly dropped eight inches. Turned out we removed the motor mounts without realizing it.

Not an issue on the ZJ.

> Lynn

I eat eggs laid by Free Chicken His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher Driving 3 October 1st 11 06:57 PM
'02 L200 just laid down on the highway S. Barker Saturn 25 December 20th 07 04:01 PM
God I wish I'd never laid eyes on this hting. Paddy's Pig Auto Photos 2 December 6th 07 03:24 PM
VWs plans. none2u VW water cooled 4 April 17th 07 12:51 AM
Towbar plans? Weldman Jeep 12 August 11th 06 03:49 AM