GM radio swap

Old July 31st 17, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default GM radio swap

I tried going that route eight years ago when I bought the 2002. I just figured I'd get a similar year AM FM cassette Delco radio, and that would be the end of it. I went through 3 junk yard radios. They all had just a red LED that blinked. Then I learned about the VIN in the radio needing to be reprogrammed in order to match the VIN of the vehicle that it would be going into. The radio was to be 45.00 and the dealer wanted another 89.00 to do the reprogram. That was when I decided to not get screwed by the technology and make use of my 1990 radio. I haven't checked lately but I'm pretty sure that the reprogram charge hasn't gone down. But based on what you have already told me Steve and the wire color code that you provided I think that I can get the 1990 to work.

I installed my alarm system over this past weekend. And although I'm using "dome light hot side going to 12 volts" as a trigger and it is working it is sporadic because of the flaky front door latch switches. Yes that's right I said "switches" because I have determined that BOTH front doors are intermittent. I confirmed this with one non working door open at a time and the dome lights off. The wires to the door latch switch are brown and white. During this (door open and dome light not working) condition, putting a short across these two wires will turn on the dome lights every time.

The side door on both this van as well as the 2002 uses a mechanical pin type switch that is NC when the door is opened. I've scrounged the one from the 2002 and when I'm at the junk yard later this week I'll pick up another one. I did actually toy with the idea of pulling the window crank assemblies out of the 2002, stripping the good latches out of them and installing them in the 2006. However I just can't justify the amount of work necessary to do this. so I'll install these pin type switches in both front door jambs and (hopefully) kiss this stupid problem goodbye.

There is another problem I wanted to ask about. I may have previously mentioned that this van had sat outside on my lawn for almost three years. I know that was stupid and I do regret it but it's done. After this period of time when I turned on the blower there was a loud rumbling sound and there was very little air coming through the vents. I removed the blower motor and saw that the mice had built a nest in the duct work. I was able to remove a lot of it by hand and then I fed the vacuum cleaner hose in. After this I tried it and noted good air coming through the front vents. Unfortunately I don't recall if I had thought to check the other switch positions at that time. I removed the blower again and I reached in though and was able to feel more nest material in the duct and so I decided to run the hose in there one more time. This time as I snaked it in I turned it and at the same time slowly withdrew it while gently flopping it around. I reinstalled the motor but this time no matter which blower function position I tried I only got strong air flow coming out of the right side floor vent and the defroster vents. In going through the switch positions I can't hear any small actuator motors trying to open doors or anything like that either. There doesn't seem to be much of anything coming out of the left side front floor vent and now nothing much from the front anymore either. Does anyone have any idea what I could have upset inside the duct that last time with the hose that could have caused this? If need be I can survive as long as I have a good defroster but it would be nice, if possible (as long as it doesn't involve removing the duct) to have everything working as it should be.

The last item which also did work fine before I set the van on the lawn for three years was the air conditioner. There is a separate belt for the compressor off the engine. As soon as I started the engine this belt broke. The compressor will not move. Someone suggested that it might be the clutch, however it seems to me that it is more likely the main bearing that seems to be set up. Has anyone seen this happen before? Do you think spraying it with liquid Wrench or a similar penetrating oil may help?

I'm sorry that this is so long but I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Thanks very much for reading this. Lenny
Old July 31st 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
> I tried going that route eight years ago when I bought the 2002. I
> just figured I'd get a similar year AM FM cassette Delco radio, and
> that would be the end of it. I went through 3 junk yard radios. They
> all had just a red LED that blinked. Then I learned about the VIN in
> the radio needing to be reprogrammed in order to match the VIN of the
> vehicle that it would be going into. The radio was to be 45.00 and
> the dealer wanted another 89.00 to do the reprogram. That was when I
> decided to not get screwed by the technology and make use of my 1990
> radio. I haven't checked lately but I'm pretty sure that the
> reprogram charge hasn't gone down. But based on what you have already
> told me Steve and the wire color code that you provided I think that
> I can get the 1990 to work.
>
> I installed my alarm system over this past weekend. And although I'm
> using "dome light hot side going to 12 volts" as a trigger and it is
> working it is sporadic because of the flaky front door latch
> switches. Yes that's right I said "switches" because I have
> determined that BOTH front doors are intermittent. I confirmed this
> with one non working door open at a time and the dome lights off. The
> wires to the door latch switch are brown and white. During this (door
> open and dome light not working) condition, putting a short across
> these two wires will turn on the dome lights every time.
>
> The side door on both this van as well as the 2002 uses a mechanical
> pin type switch that is NC when the door is opened. I've scrounged
> the one from the 2002 and when I'm at the junk yard later this week
> I'll pick up another one. I did actually toy with the idea of pulling
> the window crank assemblies out of the 2002, stripping the good
> latches out of them and installing them in the 2006. However I just
> can't justify the amount of work necessary to do this. so I'll
> install these pin type switches in both front door jambs and
> (hopefully) kiss this stupid problem goodbye.

The latches won't fit anyway. Plus it is not that you have bad switches,
they are NOT "normal" switches, they use a computer signal to turn the
lights on/off through a signal to the BCM.

You need to install real pin switches if you want the alarm you have to
work. Or simply get the factory alarm module that plugs into the harness
and sees the factory door modules and controllers.

You really should get acquainted with that van, there are many systems
on it that can be easily damaged if you connect up power or ground to
the wrong wires. Burning out the BCM or ECM can be big $$$ to repair and
even a stripped down base model 2006 will use computer controls for many
things.

> There is another problem I wanted to ask about. I may have previously
> mentioned that this van had sat outside on my lawn for almost three
> years. I know that was stupid and I do regret it but it's done. After
> this period of time when I turned on the blower there was a loud
> rumbling sound and there was very little air coming through the
> vents. I removed the blower motor and saw that the mice had built a
> nest in the duct work. I was able to remove a lot of it by hand and
> then I fed the vacuum cleaner hose in. After this I tried it and
> noted good air coming through the front vents. Unfortunately I don't
> recall if I had thought to check the other switch positions at that
> time. I removed the blower again and I reached in though and was able
> to feel more nest material in the duct and so I decided to run the
> hose in there one more time. This time as I snaked it in I turned it
> and at the same time slowly withdrew it while gently flopping it
> around. I reinstalled the motor but this time no matter which blower
> function position I tried I only got strong air flow coming out of
> the right side floor vent and the defroster vents. In going through
> the switch positions I can't hear any small actuator motors trying to
> open doors or anything like that either. There doesn't seem to be
> much of anything coming out of the left side front floor vent and now
> nothing much from the front anymore either. Does anyone have any idea
> what I could have upset inside the duct that last time with the hose
> that could have caused this? If need be I can survive as long as I
> have a good defroster but it would be nice, if possible (as long as
> it doesn't involve removing the duct) to have everything working as
> it should be.

Sounds like the hose knocked the mode doors shut and blocked the duct.
The only real way to repair that is to remove the HVAC unit and repair
the door. The motors would have reset them if the doors were still OK.

> The last item which also did work fine before I set the van on the
> lawn for three years was the air conditioner. There is a separate
> belt for the compressor off the engine. As soon as I started the
> engine this belt broke. The compressor will not move. Someone
> suggested that it might be the clutch, however it seems to me that it
> is more likely the main bearing that seems to be set up. Has anyone
> seen this happen before? Do you think spraying it with liquid Wrench
> or a similar penetrating oil may help?

That would be most likely be the clutch pulley bearing that seized. It
allows the drive pulley to turn freely and when the clutch is energized
it spins the compressor input shaft. That can be replaced as a separate
part on most compressors, but you would want to be sure the compressor
itself works as it could be seized from setting that long. If you reach
in and grab the hub (not the pulley the belt drives) does it turn
easily? If not the compressor may be toast as well.

--
Steve W.