87 buick park avenue threw the serpentine belt.

Old July 29th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 87 buick park avenue threw the serpentine belt.

Neighbor lady wants me to help. Her dads 1987 buick park avenue malfunctioned and she limped it back to her driveway. It then vented coolant.

When I checked the belt it looked good, but was off. I hand turned alternator, steering pump, airconditioning, but mostly I'm clueless.

I didn't even find a belt installation schematic. Neighbors frantic mood isn't helping.

Nils K. Hammer
Old July 29th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 9:47:06 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Neighbor lady wants me to help. Her dads 1987 buick park avenue malfunctioned and she limped it back to her driveway. It then vented coolant.
>
> When I checked the belt it looked good, but was off. I hand turned alternator, steering pump, airconditioning, but mostly I'm clueless.
>
> I didn't even find a belt installation schematic. Neighbors frantic mood isn't helping.
>
> Nils K. Hammer

The first thing you have to do is find out why it threw a belt. The first thing to check is the belt tensioner pulley and spring. The second thing would be the water pump. I don't know what the third thing would be. Perhaps the A/C compressor. It could be locked up, I suppose. You'd have to try turning the hub, not the pulley.

Check these things first. Don't bother trying to put on a new belt until you find out what caused it. If everything looks good. Put the old belt on and start it up. If the belt wobbles and shimmies and rattles, replace the belt and the tensioner. If it runs OK, turn on the A/C. My guess is that's what's going to throw the belt.
Old July 29th 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 15:20:52 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 9:47:06 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> Neighbor lady wants me to help. Her dads 1987 buick park avenue malfunctioned and she limped it back to her driveway. It then vented coolant.
>>
>> When I checked the belt it looked good, but was off. I hand turned alternator, steering pump, airconditioning, but mostly I'm clueless.
>>
>> I didn't even find a belt installation schematic. Neighbors frantic mood isn't helping.
>>
>> Nils K. Hammer

>The first thing you have to do is find out why it threw a belt. The first thing to check is the belt tensioner pulley and spring. The second thing would be the water pump. I don't know what the third thing would be. Perhaps the A/C compressor. It could be locked up, I suppose. You'd have to try turning the hub, not the pulley.
>
>Check these things first. Don't bother trying to put on a new belt until you find out what caused it. If everything looks good. Put the old belt on and start it up. If the belt wobbles and shimmies and rattles, replace the belt and the tensioner. If it runs OK, turn on the A/C. My guess is that's what's going to throw the belt.

On occasion, if the high speed coolant fan is not working, the
compressor head pressure will get high enough to throw the belt. In
that case, replacing the compressor is an unfortunate waste of money,
since it's the fan operation that needs repair.