Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

Old July 15th 17, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 17:17:42 -0400, Tekkie® >
wrote:

posted for all of us...

> [...]
>> >dollars to quality, so you make that association for them with the
>> >good/better/best L/XL/GXL pricing tier.
>> >

>> You give the educated consumer a lot less credit than they are due.
>> The "educated consumer" doesn't need a degree in marketing.
>>
>> Particularly in today's automotive market, where there really are very
>> few "options" if you want, say, a sunroof on a car, you need to buy a
>> minimum trim level that is NOT base. And if you want, say, the high
>> end infortainment system with navigation, you need to buy the next
>> level up - which ONLY comes with the sun roof. Gone are the days, to a
>> great extent, of ordering from the "menu" where you could order the
>> big motor on the "stripper" and get a "sleeper" - with eithe bench or
>> bucket seats, in any colour you wanted, with any colour pait you
>> wanted - and any tire and wheel combo, and any gear ratio the company
>> made, with or without Posi.
>> You have 3 choices, Base, Medium, and high content - or L, GL, or GLX
>> >You can't make the L-to-XL pricing jump too high, but you can get away with
>> >making the XL-to-GXL price jump very high (because you're playing on
>> >consumer emotions).

>> No, you are playing on consumer's WANTS. They WANT the sunroof and the
>> navigation system and high end audio - so they buy the GLX
>> >
>> >Everyone wins when you market it right.
>> >* the cost-conscious consumer thinks they got good product at a good price.
>> >* the value-conscious consumer thinks they got a better value at not too
>> >much of a bump in price
>> >* the status-conscious consumer pays through the nose for status and gets
>> >it if the marketing department can maintain the status feelings
>> >* the company makes out because they sold essentially the same product to
>> >three different types of customers, making the most profit on the third
>> >type but still making profits on the first and second type due to economies
>> >of scale (volume) and economies of scope (differentiation).
>> >* the marketing department wins awards and bonuses for increasing the
>> >perceived value of the GXL "best" model, even though it's essentially the
>> >same item as the other two (only it has special options and gold trim and
>> >free coffee and free car washings, or whatever makes people feel good).

>> No, that's why you have a chevy, a cadillac, a BMW and a Mercedes.
>> THAT is where pride and emotion make people do stupid things.
>> Mer bought homself a loaded Kia or Hyundai for less money than a
>> "base" BMW or Merc or Caddy, that will cost him WAY less in
>> maintenance and repairs, where he will get WAY more for it at resale,
>> in percentage terms than either of the options, or a lower contented
>> car - meaning he got VALUE for for his money. REal value, not based on
>> "marketing BS"

>I'm sorry Clare, I just wrote a post with the same points as yours. I didn't
>get down to this level prior to posting. It's getting to be too much with

Time to plonk the idiot.
Old July 15th 17, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 07/14/2017 03:14 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
> I knew a guy whom worked at a major tire manufacturer in quality control.
> After GM started to reject boxcars of tires, they started loading the
> exceptional spec tires at the doors of the boxcars after loading the usual
> spec'd tires in first. The GM inspectors would only check the first out lot
> then move on.

When I took statistics years ago it was geared toward engineers. The
major question was how many samples do you have to examine to ensure the
batch is only N% crap. N would be provided by sales and marketing after
they determined the economics of repairing or replacing crap versus
going for as close to 100% quality product as you could.

CASTOL EDGE krp General 0 March 4th 09 02:07 PM
Please do not over-inflating your front tires, Speeders & Drunk Drivers aren't MURDERERS Driving 20 August 23rd 08 05:38 AM
Replacing front tires Wally[_1_] Driving 54 September 10th 06 06:23 PM
Replacing front tires Wally[_1_] Technology 57 September 10th 06 06:23 PM
05 HAH cornering on a tire edge Kevin McMurtrie Honda 7 April 14th 06 02:50 PM