94 Ford Explorer 4x4

Old September 26th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Robertson

Default 94 Ford Explorer 4x4

94 Ford Exp 69K. 4x4 is not working. Some times the lights next to the
selector buttons on the dash will both light dimily. Nothing is heard
when pressing either. Some times the lights go out. The other day
pulling into the drive way they both lit and the 4X4 indicator on the
dash came on. The car was not in 4X4 because I drove it on the road
and made some tight turns and it would have been obvious if it was in
fact in 4 wheel. This light stayed on for approx 2 hours then went out
and both push button switches went back to dimly lit. I have read
posts about looking the the 4X4 module in the rear driver side panel
and watching led's or pressing the reset button. On mine there are no
led's or a reset button only a black box. Has anyone had these issues?
Any Ideas?
Old September 28th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:49:31 -0700 (PDT), Jim Robertson
> wrote:

>94 Ford Exp 69K. 4x4 is not working. Some times the lights next to the
>selector buttons on the dash will both light dimily. Nothing is heard
>when pressing either. Some times the lights go out. The other day
>pulling into the drive way they both lit and the 4X4 indicator on the
>dash came on. The car was not in 4X4 because I drove it on the road
>and made some tight turns and it would have been obvious if it was in
>fact in 4 wheel. This light stayed on for approx 2 hours then went out
>and both push button switches went back to dimly lit. I have read
>posts about looking the the 4X4 module in the rear driver side panel
>and watching led's or pressing the reset button. On mine there are no
>led's or a reset button only a black box. Has anyone had these issues?
>Any Ideas?

On my 92 there is a white square shaped button pointing down that you
can press upward on, I assume it's the reset button. What typically
goes wrong on these systems is that the multi prong rotary switch
that's built into the shift motor on the transfer case goes bad. You
can disassemble the whole motor and clean up the switch and make it
last a while longer but having done that twice with the last repair
only lasting a few weeks I just replaced the whole shift motor
assembly. You can buy new motors for about $125 and replace it in an
hour with basic tools while laying under the vehicle.
Old October 17th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
willie[_2_]

replying to Jim Robertson, willie wrote:
on my 94 when I put the 4 wheel drive on it makes a kind of sound like a strip
gear sound that comes from the passenger side hub /axle area, does anyone have
any idea on what it could be, also doesn't seem like it is working at all but
lights come on the 4x4 display

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/ford-expl...4x4-21064-.htm

Old October 18th 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:18:00 +0000, willie
> wrote:

>replying to Jim Robertson, willie wrote:
>on my 94 when I put the 4 wheel drive on it makes a kind of sound like a strip
>gear sound that comes from the passenger side hub /axle area, does anyone have
>any idea on what it could be, also doesn't seem like it is working at all but
>lights come on the 4x4 display

The lights will come on whether the autohub engages or not. Most
likely your autohub is not engaging or is only engaging partway and
then ratcheting when you put load on it. However, if you are doing
this on a hard surface and while making tight turns you are
overloading the hub mechanism and it may well ratchet under those
conditions. It should not make any noises when in 4x4 mode when you
are going straight ahead on a firm surface because all the parts,
engaged or not, are turning at essentially the same speed once the
transfer case locks.