diagnosis please

Old May 21st 05, 02:57 AM

Default diagnosis please

Here's one for ya....

When the engine is warm and after running several miles, if I'm just
running along at low rpm and say 3rd or 4th gear and step on the gas, I
get a bunch of argument from the old engine. Spitting and coughing but
then it catches right on up and runs great.

Freshly and expertly overhauled 34 carb. Bosh 009 diz. Motor probably
has about 500 miles or less on it and the plugs and wires are new. I
changed the oil and checked the valve adjustment last week. The timing
is at 7 btdc.

Possibly related. When she's cold, she fires right off at the touch of
the starter. But hot, like if I shut it off, run in a store and come
right back, I usually have to really grind on it and most of the time
flood it to get it started.

Whatdayathink?

<><
TC

Old May 21st 05, 07:48 AM
tonks

Even though you rebuilt the carb it could be a couple of things lke the
rod that goes thru the carb that your butterfly is connected to coud be
sucking air thru the sides. How does it idle when hot?
I've made some errors when rebuilding , like not cleaning the
accelorator pump passages good and then something brakes loose and well
retard the fuel for proper acceloration.. Just had that happen on my 50
plymouth . Seems like I would do it right the first time.. tony

Old May 21st 05, 02:19 PM

tonks wrote:
> Even though you rebuilt the carb it could be a couple of things lke

the
> rod that goes thru the carb that your butterfly is connected to coud

be
> sucking air thru the sides. How does it idle when hot?
> I've made some errors when rebuilding , like not cleaning the
> accelorator pump passages good and then something brakes loose and

well
> retard the fuel for proper acceloration.. Just had that happen on my

50
> plymouth . Seems like I would do it right the first time.. tony

Idle is fine hot or cold. I thought about it having an air leak but
that doesn't seem to be the case. The butterfly seems tight.

I rebuilt the carb twice. First time, I just cleaned it with spray
cleaner and small brushes. My professional mechanic friend said that
wouldn't do it, it would have to soak overnight at least. So I found an
old fashioned bucket of carb cleaner, tore it apart again and let it
soak about 36 hours. When I built it the second time, it was better but
not right still. So I took it to my mechanic and let him have a crack
at it. He soaked it 72 hours at least and pronounced it right and it
does run pretty good with the minor problem I've told you about.

It's not something I'm gonna fret over too much but I am wondering if
any of you guys have had a situation like this. It could easily be
ignition as I haven't touched that since I got it running except to
move the diz a few degrees during all the adjustment process. I plan to
change the oil again in another hundred miles or so and it wouldn't
hurt to go ahead and check points and plugs at that point too. It's
still burning a little oil so the plugs probably need some cleaning.

Thanks,
<><
TC

Old May 22nd 05, 02:37 PM

John,

I haven't tried it at full advance, really didn't think about it but
thats a good point if I catch your drift and I will find out.

I've always used a 009. I guess I've just always been of the school
that thinks Bosh 009's are the best and they should have always been
stock equipment. Second, thats what was on it when I got it and since
that is what I wanted, I used it. I probably got that from the Muir
book and when I was a kid and my dad would get a new bug, the first
thing we would do is put on a 009.

I'll let ya know the full advance. Refresh my memory, what should it
be?

<><
TC

Old May 22nd 05, 04:31 PM
Mac

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> John,
>
> I haven't tried it at full advance, really didn't think about it but
> thats a good point if I catch your drift and I will find out.
>
> I've always used a 009. I guess I've just always been of the school
> that thinks Bosh 009's are the best and they should have always been
> stock equipment. Second, thats what was on it when I got it and since
> that is what I wanted, I used it. I probably got that from the Muir
> book and when I was a kid and my dad would get a new bug, the first
> thing we would do is put on a 009.
>
> I'll let ya know the full advance. Refresh my memory, what should it
> be?
>
> <><
> TC

Check out this link

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune_up.html

It has a section on what the problems can be with a 009 dizzy and 34 pict
carb.

Mac

Old May 22nd 05, 05:08 PM
John Willis

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:31:31 -0500, "Mac" >
scribbled this interesting note:

> wrote in message
roups.com...

>> John,
>>
>> I haven't tried it at full advance, really didn't think about it but
>> thats a good point if I catch your drift and I will find out.
>>
>> I've always used a 009. I guess I've just always been of the school
>> that thinks Bosh 009's are the best and they should have always been
>> stock equipment. Second, thats what was on it when I got it and since
>> that is what I wanted, I used it. I probably got that from the Muir
>> book and when I was a kid and my dad would get a new bug, the first
>> thing we would do is put on a 009.
>>
>> I'll let ya know the full advance. Refresh my memory, what should it
>> be?
>>
>> <><
>> TC
>>

>Check out this link
>
>http://www.vw-resource.com/tune_up.html
>
>It has a section on what the problems can be with a 009 dizzy and 34 pict
>carb.
>
>Mac

And this one:
http://www.w-p-c.com/buggysdda.htm

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 22nd 05, 08:41 PM

Man, that is almost exactly my situation. Thank you so much.

I've been driving vw's for almost 30 years now and I've always known
about the hesitation with the 009 and always driven around it but I
never knew the real reason why. This explains it. My trouble is just
slightly worse but now I know, or at least have a start, on fixing it.

But not today, it's a beautiful afternoon and I'm off for a buggy ride.

Thanks again,
<><
TC

Old May 25th 05, 01:32 PM
Dennis Wik

Advance the dial on the accelerator pump to max. Works for me.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>