BMW iPod adapter

Old February 3rd 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
s[_4_]

Default BMW iPod adapter

I have installed the iPOD adapter in my 2003 325i but it does not play.

The symptoms are as follows:

The iPOD displays a BMW Logo and "OK to Disconnect"

The BMW radio indicates track numbers on all 5 playlists and can switch
tracks and playlists.

With headphones, the iPOD can be heard playing and switching tracks in
response to commands from the BMW controls.

No sound comes out of the BMW radio.

In summary, everything seems to work except there is no audio from the iPOD
to the radio.

My iPOD is a Nano, model MA477LL, version 1.3.3

The radio is the BMW Business radio. No other alterations have been made to
the audio system.

I've checked the connections to ensure the wiring is per instructions. I've
also exchanged the adapter and all cables for a new kit. The result is
unchanged

Any clues as to what I should look for?

Also, a tip for anyone who wants to install the BMW adapter: Get the pin
removal tool. Removing the three wires from the radio connector is just
about impossible without it.

Old February 3rd 08, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Thomas Wright

s wrote:
> I have installed the iPOD adapter in my 2003 325i but it does not play.
>
> The symptoms are as follows:
>
> The iPOD displays a BMW Logo and "OK to Disconnect"
>
> The BMW radio indicates track numbers on all 5 playlists and can switch
> tracks and playlists.
>
> With headphones, the iPOD can be heard playing and switching tracks in
> response to commands from the BMW controls.
>
> No sound comes out of the BMW radio.
>
> In summary, everything seems to work except there is no audio from the iPOD
> to the radio.
>

> My iPOD is a Nano, model MA477LL, version 1.3.3
>
> The radio is the BMW Business radio. No other alterations have been made to
> the audio system.
>
> I've checked the connections to ensure the wiring is per instructions. I've
> also exchanged the adapter and all cables for a new kit. The result is
> unchanged
>

> Any clues as to what I should look for?
>

> Also, a tip for anyone who wants to install the BMW adapter: Get the pin
> removal tool. Removing the three wires from the radio connector is just
> about impossible without it.

Try turning your Ipod volume all the way up.
Old February 3rd 08, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"Thomas Wright" > wrote in message
>s wrote:
>> I have installed the iPOD adapter in my 2003 325i but it does not play.
>>
>> The symptoms are as follows:
>>
>> The iPOD displays a BMW Logo and "OK to Disconnect"
>>
>> The BMW radio indicates track numbers on all 5 playlists and can switch
>> tracks and playlists.
>>
>> With headphones, the iPOD can be heard playing and switching tracks in
>> response to commands from the BMW controls.
>>
>> No sound comes out of the BMW radio.
>>
>> In summary, everything seems to work except there is no audio from the
>> iPOD to the radio.
>>

>> My iPOD is a Nano, model MA477LL, version 1.3.3
>>
>> The radio is the BMW Business radio. No other alterations have been made
>> to the audio system.
>>
>> I've checked the connections to ensure the wiring is per instructions.
>> I've also exchanged the adapter and all cables for a new kit. The result
>> is unchanged
>>

>> Any clues as to what I should look for?
>>

>> Also, a tip for anyone who wants to install the BMW adapter: Get the pin
>> removal tool. Removing the three wires from the radio connector is just
>> about impossible without it.
>>

> Try turning your Ipod volume all the way up.

Shouldn't be required, the audio is through the bus connector, not the
earphone output (that's what's controlled by the volume control).

I've installed the BMW aux connector (plugs into the back of the radio, E39
version) and also a DICE (generally nicer than the BMW piece). Judging from
your complaint about the lack of audio, I suspect that somehow the audio out
in the adapter isn't making it to the radio (it plugs into the back of the
business CD?). Check that the connections you made to install the adapter
are sound ... might be you've got a pin connector that's not quite right.

Worst case, you can go with the DICE, which is more flexible and, like the
BMW unit, replaces the CD changer. You can get versions that plug into the
CD trunk wiring or that plug into the back of the radio.

R / John

Need 04 CRV ipod Adapter Jude Honda 2 February 5th 08 04:40 PM
2006 A6 Ipod Adapter FNF Audi 3 October 29th 07 01:20 PM
iPod adapter for AR 147 Ivan[_7_] Alfa Romeo 20 August 24th 07 12:03 AM
bmw ipod adapter joćo oliveira BMW 2 January 11th 06 02:17 PM
Who uses the BMW iPod adapter in an BMW 120/118 Heide Witzka BMW 0 December 3rd 04 08:12 PM