I have a few questions for you geniouses

Old November 14th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike West

Default I have a few questions for you geniouses

OK so I need to get out more...

Several years ago There was an article in Hot VW's about a new ceramic
coated exhaust system .The thing I liked most was that instead of those
leaking ring and clamp type of connections for the J Tube and aft exhaust ,
they had flanged type connections. Why does no one else offer this? It would
certainly solve the exhaust leak problem in this connection.
I ordered a set but after having my order pushed back several times and even
lost once by this maker I cancelled it in disgust. I think they shot
themself in the foot with their lousy service as I have not seen them
advertise since.

Question Numero B

I saw an add in the latest Hot VW's from one of the parts houses for a
serpentine pulley system for the BUG. What is this for? Accesories? Just
curious.

Thanks! Mike West 67 chopped bug.

Old November 14th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_3_]

Mike West kirjoitti:
> OK so I need to get out more...
>
> Several years ago There was an article in Hot VW's about a new ceramic
> coated exhaust system .The thing I liked most was that instead of those
> leaking ring and clamp type of connections for the J Tube and aft exhaust ,
> they had flanged type connections. Why does no one else offer this? It would
> certainly solve the exhaust leak problem in this connection.
> I ordered a set but after having my order pushed back several times and even
> lost once by this maker I cancelled it in disgust. I think they shot
> themself in the foot with their lousy service as I have not seen them
> advertise since.

I make my own flanged joints for the reasons you mentioned.
Any exhaust system you can make, you can send somewhere to have ceramic
coated for you.

> Question Numero B
>
> I saw an add in the latest Hot VW's from one of the parts houses for a
> serpentine pulley system for the BUG. What is this for? Accesories? Just
> curious.

Better belt control. Fast and high revving engines put more stress on a
flimsy little V-belt, and people have had trouble with them (like me).
You can get extra strong V-belts to fight stretching and flipping
(aircooled.net sells them for the beetle), but the serpentine belt
pretty much has them all beat when it comes to belt control, grip and
longevity. Good dystems eliminate belts jumping off completely.

Then again, it is not hard to fabricate a simple idler pulley for a
standard V-belt on the fuel pump side, to eliminate most of the common
problems with high perf engines and V belts. Which is what I ended up
doing (I did get two AC.net belts to make sure, but the design
proved itself with a cheap crappy belt already)

In other words..... for MOST people, the serpentine belt systems are
just a clever way of making them spend more money on something unnecessary.

Jan
Old November 14th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> OK so I need to get out more...
>
> Several years ago There was an article in Hot VW's about a new ceramic
> coated exhaust system .The thing I liked most was that instead of those
> leaking ring and clamp type of connections for the J Tube and aft exhaust
> ,
> they had flanged type connections. Why does no one else offer this? It
> would
> certainly solve the exhaust leak problem in this connection.
> I ordered a set but after having my order pushed back several times and
> even
> lost once by this maker I cancelled it in disgust. I think they shot
> themself in the foot with their lousy service as I have not seen them
> advertise since.

you can order weld on flanges for this connection...that is all i will use
becuase the donut gaskets and clamps SUCK....bad....i buy mine from
aircooled.net and only use copper gaskets with them....(personal preference)
http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200611321067

> Question Numero B
>
> I saw an add in the latest Hot VW's from one of the parts houses for a
> serpentine pulley system for the BUG. What is this for? Accesories? Just
> curious.

the largest customer base for them is those that want something that looks
"nice".....they are also touted as better than the stock vbelt at not
slipping and touted to not flip and throw the belt at high RPM
operation....i have a BMD pulley kit(serpentine) but have yet to install it
on anything....damn nice looking piece though...
http://www.bmdpulleys.com

Old November 14th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Several years ago There was an article in Hot VW's about a new ceramic
> coated exhaust system .The thing I liked most was that instead of those
> leaking ring and clamp type of connections for the J Tube and aft exhaust ,
> they had flanged type connections. Why does no one else offer this? It would

I've taken several exhaust systems down to the local muffler place to
have them weld flanges on at the j-tube to header connection. It did
not cost very much. The best way to do it is to bolt the system
together with a set of junk heads. That way everything is held in
alignment while they put the flanges on. It solves ALL of the leakage
problems. I even have my stock muffler welded up with flanges for the
same reason. The asbestos rings just do not seem to hold up all that
well at the heater box/jtube to muffler connection.. I do still use
them for the tailpipes though.....

> I saw an add in the latest Hot VW's from one of the parts houses for a
> serpentine pulley system for the BUG. What is this for? Accesories? Just
> curious.

I've seen these systems for several years now. I think it is primarily
aimed at helping you to lighten your wallet. Stock fanbelt, stock
engine = work fine, last a long time.

Chris