STATES UNITE TO PROMOTE SUV SAFETY WITH $27 MILLION PUBLIC EDUCATION CAMPAIGN

Old March 29th 05, 06:55 PM
MidnightDad

Default STATES UNITE TO PROMOTE SUV SAFETY WITH $27 MILLION PUBLIC EDUCATION CAMPAIGN

http://www.esuvee.com/news/press_release.php?id=147

What's next? $100 million to tell people not to put plastic bags over their
heads or stick knives in their eyes?

Old March 29th 05, 07:03 PM
N8N

MidnightDad wrote:
> http://www.esuvee.com/news/press_release.php?id=147
>
> What's next? $100 million to tell people not to put plastic bags

over their
> heads or stick knives in their eyes?

Well, when a large subset of the population apparently believes that
the automotive equivalent of running with scissors ought to be
perfectly safe, sometimes you need to have PSAs that make thinking
people scratch their heads in bewilderment.

nate

Old March 29th 05, 07:22 PM
C. E. White

N8N wrote:

> MidnightDad wrote:
> > http://www.esuvee.com/news/press_release.php?id=147
> >
> > What's next? $100 million to tell people not to put plastic bags

> over their
> > heads or stick knives in their eyes?

> Well, when a large subset of the population apparently believes that
> the automotive equivalent of running with scissors ought to be
> perfectly safe, sometimes you need to have PSAs that make thinking
> people scratch their heads in bewilderment.

Maybe, but I don't like the idea of tax dollars being forked
over to a PR firm to create a web site that is unlikely to
be viewed by the target audience and is almost content free.
Why not traditional broadcast PSAs. I've saw the ads for
esuvee.com on TV and didn't even realize what they were for.
Instead of referring people to a web site, why not just
repeapt the main points made by the web site - there are
only three 1) drive at a reasonable speed; 2) properly
inflate your tires; 3) properly load your vehicle. All this
is covered in the owners guide.

This web site smacks of a tax paper funded scam.

Ed
Old March 29th 05, 07:36 PM
MidnightDad

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> N8N wrote:
>>
>> MidnightDad wrote:
>> > http://www.esuvee.com/news/press_release.php?id=147
>> >
>> > What's next? $100 million to tell people not to put plastic bags

>> over their
>> > heads or stick knives in their eyes?

>> Well, when a large subset of the population apparently believes that
>> the automotive equivalent of running with scissors ought to be
>> perfectly safe, sometimes you need to have PSAs that make thinking
>> people scratch their heads in bewilderment.

> Maybe, but I don't like the idea of tax dollars being forked
> over to a PR firm to create a web site that is unlikely to
> be viewed by the target audience and is almost content free.
> Why not traditional broadcast PSAs. I've saw the ads for
> esuvee.com on TV and didn't even realize what they were for.
> Instead of referring people to a web site, why not just
> repeapt the main points made by the web site - there are
> only three 1) drive at a reasonable speed; 2) properly
> inflate your tires; 3) properly load your vehicle. All this
> is covered in the owners guide.
>
> This web site smacks of a tax paper funded scam.
>
> Ed

You're exactly correct. Shouldn't all drivers observe the three points?
Why are SUV's singled out? Although the stated purpose of this campaign is
to promote SUV safety, its true motive is to further demonize SUV's and
their drivers. Long after the safety messages are forgotten, people will
connect the mascot (a snarling, hulking behemoth) with SUV's.

Old March 29th 05, 07:42 PM
John Harlow

> Why not traditional broadcast PSAs.

Probably because the SUV advertisers wouldn't like it

Old March 29th 05, 08:09 PM
Brent P

In article <1112121420.6cf3f002e53a72528d91fbb99c6d8eee@teran ews>, MidnightDad wrote:

> You're exactly correct. Shouldn't all drivers observe the three points?
> Why are SUV's singled out? Although the stated purpose of this campaign is
> to promote SUV safety, its true motive is to further demonize SUV's and
> their drivers. Long after the safety messages are forgotten, people will
> connect the mascot (a snarling, hulking behemoth) with SUV's.

If a porsche 911 is a few feet off my rear bumper, it's not so bad. When
a ford expedition is, I become very concerned. The former can stop faster
than my car, the later can't. The former vehicle has better ability to
avoid a collision by changing course than the later. That's not even
considering the impact outcome because of the mass difference.

The problem is the low performing vehicles being mated with low
performing drivers. When idiots all bought BMWs,Vettes,Porsches and the
like to show off, at least they moved into a vehicle that could actually
make up for some of their driving definencies. SUVs amplify them.

Old March 29th 05, 09:44 PM
Magnulus

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> If a porsche 911 is a few feet off my rear bumper, it's not so bad. When
> a ford expedition is, I become very concerned. The former can stop faster
> than my car, the later can't. The former vehicle has better ability to
> avoid a collision by changing course than the later. That's not even
> considering the impact outcome because of the mass difference.

Exactly- the consequences of lack of maintanence or attention for an SUV
is more dire than with a car. SUV's are not cars and do not handle like
cars, that needs to be hammered home.

Old March 29th 05, 10:41 PM
Paul

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:22:06 -0500, C. E. White , one of an infinite
number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters said the following
in rec.autos.driving...

> Maybe, but I don't like the idea of tax dollars being forked
> over to a PR firm to create a web site that is unlikely to
> be viewed by the target audience and is almost content free.
> Why not traditional broadcast PSAs. I've saw the ads for
> esuvee.com on TV and didn't even realize what they were for.
> Instead of referring people to a web site, why not just
> repeapt the main points made by the web site - there are
> only three 1) drive at a reasonable speed; 2) properly
> inflate your tires; 3) properly load your vehicle. All this
> is covered in the owners guide.

Point 1, IMO, would be better made to say that an SUV is a truck and not
a car and as such will not handle like a car (particularly WRT stopping
distance and cornering) and should be driven accordingly. All to often, I
see SUV drivers driving like they think they are Jeff Gordon or Dale
Earnhardt Jr., putting everyone else at risk (including responsible SUV
drivers and yes, I see a few) with their foolish behavior.

Points 2 and 3 are also very valid points, and they should apply to all
vehicles, not just SUVs.

Old March 30th 05, 05:03 AM
John Harlow

> Point 1, IMO, would be better made to say that an SUV is a truck and
> not a car and as such will not handle like a car

It already says this on the back of SUV sun visors. If they don't
understand it from there, I doubt a TV ad will make much difference. I
imagine most SUV types have Replay or Tivo now anyway and would just zip
past the ad.

"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 11:25 AM
looking for information on vehicle safety inspections Peter D. Hipson 4x4 0 January 17th 05 03:44 PM
NTSB Wants Black Boxes in Passenger Vehicles MoPar Man Chrysler 62 January 14th 05 02:44 PM