"Idle adaptation at limit" replace throttle body?

Old July 10th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nt moore

Default "Idle adaptation at limit" replace throttle body?

Hi,

I have a Mk4 Golf with the 2.0 motor (from Germany, not Mexico). For
most of the car's life I've seen an intermittent check engine light
that techs (at the dealer and indy) saw is from a faulty throttle
body. As I recall, the code is P1582, "Idle adaptation at limit"

(0) I've cleaned the throttle body in years past and the problem does
go away - for a little while. I'd like to really fix the problem
though, menaing I need a new throttle body.

(1) Is there a cheap place to buy an OEM part like a throttle-body, or
do I need to go to the dealer for a new throttle body+gasket

(2) If I replace the throttle body myself, do I need to reset the
car's ecu somehow? Can I simply unplug the batttery and ground the
positive battery cable for 5 minutes to clear the ECU?

regards,

NT Moore

Old July 11th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
El Maximo

"nt moore" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Mk4 Golf with the 2.0 motor (from Germany, not Mexico). For
> most of the car's life I've seen an intermittent check engine light
> that techs (at the dealer and indy) saw is from a faulty throttle
> body. As I recall, the code is P1582, "Idle adaptation at limit"
>
> (0) I've cleaned the throttle body in years past and the problem does
> go away - for a little while. I'd like to really fix the problem
> though, menaing I need a new throttle body.
>
> (1) Is there a cheap place to buy an OEM part like a throttle-body, or
> do I need to go to the dealer for a new throttle body+gasket
>
> (2) If I replace the throttle body myself, do I need to reset the
> car's ecu somehow? Can I simply unplug the batttery and ground the
> positive battery cable for 5 minutes to clear the ECU?
>
> regards,
>
> NT Moore

I don't know if it's the same unit as the MKIII (96 Jetta), but I bought one
from BBA manufacturing in Taunton, MA. Cost was $140, including shipping.
They included a label to return the core.

Mine threw another P1582 right after I passed the emissions. I called them
and the shipped another. The check engine light went away a week later. I
shipped the replacement back to them.

Does it have the throttle position sensor as a part of the unit. If so, you
can try cleaning it. DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER TO CLEAN INSIDE THE
TPS. I don't care what anyone says about the cleaner being safe for sensors.
I melted mine with that junk. Go to radio shack and get contact cleaner.
Clean the 'tracks' where contact comes in contact.

The rebuilt unit I bought came with these instructions to reset the ECU:

"Warm the engine up. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Re-connect the
battery. Switch on the ignition for 15 seconds without starting the engine.
Then start the engine and leave it ticking over without using the throttle
for 5 minutes. T%est drive it using various throttle openings for 15
minutes"

Old July 11th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I thought this was a good way to do the throttle body alignment

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=827239

"For this all you have to do is unplug the battery for about 5-15 minutes.
When you replug it, turn the ignition to the ON position WITHOUT starting
the car. You'll hear some funky noises, that's the throttle body alignment
which is doing itself."
--
later,
dave

Old July 11th 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Madesio

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:01:54 +0000, nt moore wrote:

> I have a Mk4 Golf with the 2.0 motor (from Germany, not Mexico). For
> most of the car's life I've seen an intermittent check engine light
> that techs (at the dealer and indy) saw is from a faulty throttle
> body. As I recall, the code is P1582, "Idle adaptation at limit"
>
> (0) I've cleaned the throttle body in years past and the problem does
> go away - for a little while. I'd like to really fix the problem
> though, menaing I need a new throttle body.

Don't replace it yet! Clean it again! The new one will eventually get dirty
and throw the same fault code. No need to go throwing away your money on a
new throttle body. I've been dealing with p1582 fault codes ona mk4 style
volkswagens for years, and only recall replacing a hand full of them. The
only time I suggest a throttle body be replaced is if there are errors
during the adaptation process that lead to out-of-spec electrical values
on the unit itself when further tests are performed.

> (1) Is there a cheap place to buy an OEM part like a throttle-body, or
> do I need to go to the dealer for a new throttle body+gasket
>
> (2) If I replace the throttle body myself, do I need to reset the
> car's ecu somehow? Can I simply unplug the battery and ground the
> positive battery cable for 5 minutes to clear the ECU?

I recommend reaching under the wiper cowl and disconnecting the ecu for at
least 10 minutes after everything is said and done. It is important that
you have the throttle adaptation reset. Reason being that the throttle
body is synchronized to the ecm electronically. This matching process
allows the ecm to memorize the closed throttle, wide open throttle and
pre-start throttle positions. You cannot just plug it in and expect your
car to be on its best behavior when the computer has already memorized the
values of the dirty restricted unit. Don't have vag-com? Take it to
someone who does or have a volkswagen specialty shop reset for you for
what usually is a minimal charge.