The Sounds of Fweem

Old March 29th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Berckman

Default The Sounds of Fweem

Have not had a Beetle for a while, but pulled up next to one at a
stoplight the other day. Could tell it was a 73 with the shiny new
peashooter exhaust, large tailights and non shock absorbing bumpers.
Don't know why but I rolled down the window and waited from him to
pull away first, just to hear the sound. I guess it never gets out of
your system. I would like to get a Beetle one of these days, but now
is not a good time to ask the wife because I just got a new daily
driver in the last couple of weeks. Got a used 2007 Honda Element
with a 5 speed and 27000 miles. It is a nice vehicle to haul around
bikes and the 3 dogs etc. I wanted a 5 speed and found one for sale
10 minutes from my house. by a priviate owner on Auto Trader. The
next closest stick shift Element was at a dealer over 100 miles away.
I guess not that many people are driving sticks anymore with the cell
phones and other electronic distractions they have to contend with
while driving.
Old March 29th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

In article
Bill Berckman > wrote:

> Have not had a Beetle for a while, but pulled up next to one at a
> stoplight the other day. Could tell it was a 73 with the shiny new
> peashooter exhaust, large tailights and non shock absorbing bumpers.
> Don't know why but I rolled down the window and waited from him to
> pull away first, just to hear the sound. I guess it never gets out of
> your system. I would like to get a Beetle one of these days, but now
> is not a good time to ask the wife because I just got a new daily
> driver in the last couple of weeks. Got a used 2007 Honda Element
> with a 5 speed and 27000 miles. It is a nice vehicle to haul around
> bikes and the 3 dogs etc. I wanted a 5 speed and found one for sale
> 10 minutes from my house. by a priviate owner on Auto Trader. The
> next closest stick shift Element was at a dealer over 100 miles away.
> I guess not that many people are driving sticks anymore with the cell
> phones and other electronic distractions they have to contend with
> while driving.

I bet the only Toyotas that are selling are "sticks" so it would be
second nature to push that clutch to the floor is the throttle goes
blotto. I've heard they have governors to limit engine speed.
'remember when VW's had a rev. limiter in the rotor?
--
Money; What a Concept !
Old March 30th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> stoplight the other day. *Could tell it was a 73 with the shiny new
> peashooter exhaust, large tailights and non shock absorbing bumpers.
> Don't know why but I rolled down the window and waited from him to
> pull away first, just to hear the sound. *I guess it never gets out of

A number of years ago..probably 7 by now...I bought brand new tail
pipes for my 74 super. I was shocked at how much better the engine
sounded with brand new tailpipes. The Fweem was just awesome. And with
a good tune and properly adjusted valves, the sound of the VW engine
is very distinct.

I sure don't see many of them on the road anymore these days. But I'm
going to keep mine road-worthy as long as I possibly can.....

Best,

Chris
Old March 31st 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I'm
> going to keep mine road-worthy as long as I possibly can.....

I have a 1973 Beetle.
It has been almost 3 years since I replace the brake light switches.
I had better get two more to have them ready.

Old March 31st 10, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I'm
> going to keep mine road-worthy as long as I possibly can.....
>
> Best,
>
> Chris

I have a classic Beetle.
It has been almost three years since I have replaced the brake light
switches.
I had better get a pair to have them ready.
It seems they go out every 39 months or so.
Old April 17th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike_Rees

On Mar 29, 6:08*pm, " > wrote:
> > stoplight the other day. *Could tell it was a 73 with the shiny new
> > peashooter exhaust, large tailights and non shock absorbing bumpers.
> > Don't know why but I rolled down the window and waited from him to
> > pull away first, just to hear the sound. *I guess it never gets out of

> A number of years ago..probably 7 by now...I bought brand new tail
> pipes for my 74 super. I was shocked at how much better the engine
> sounded with brand new tailpipes. The Fweem was just awesome. And with
> a good tune and properly adjusted valves, the sound of the VW engine
> is very distinct.
>
> I sure don't see many of them on the road anymore these days. But I'm
> going to keep mine road-worthy as long as I possibly can.....
>
> Best,
>
> Chris

There are lots of aircooled VW's on the road in Portland. I drive a
'73 Super, orange. I regularly see other orange '73 Supers going by. I
can't walk the dog in my neighborhood without seeing an aircooled VW
in someone's driveway. I have no trouble getting parts now, but I have
a small inventory of spares in case of apocalypse, including a spare
dashboard. My daily driver is a bicycle, but the Super is my Saturday
driver. I drive it to Seattle witihout hesitation. No major trouble
since I rebuilt the engine in 1996. I just put in disc brakes on the
front, so now it fweems and stops quite well. People ask me, "Is that
old bug still running." I look puzzled and ask, "Why would it not?"

Fweem is alive and well here.

Mike.

what sounds better a 63 or 66 george taylor VW air cooled 0 July 27th 08 11:52 PM
More Fweem News Bill Berckman VW air cooled 2 July 1st 06 03:14 PM
Sounds like fun Airman Driving 1 April 17th 06 07:32 AM
Sounds? Chris 4x4 0 September 4th 05 12:50 AM
Sounds Sunset Sam Ford Mustang 1 December 13th 04 11:29 AM