'96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part

Old January 4th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default '96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part

I've got a 1996 Dodge Neon. The trunk lock is getting harder and
harder to open. The key slides into the lock just fine but then it
will not turn either way until I get it just right. It's getting worse
and worse each day. At first I thought that it might be that I have a
worn key but the spare key (hardly ever used) does the same thing. Any
suggestions?

My second question is about a black cylendar right behind the bumper on
the front right side of the vehicle. It has two hoses going into the
top of it. What is this thing?

Old January 5th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've got a 1996 Dodge Neon. The trunk lock is getting harder and
> harder to open. The key slides into the lock just fine but then it
> will not turn either way until I get it just right. It's getting worse
> and worse each day. At first I thought that it might be that I have a
> worn key but the spare key (hardly ever used) does the same thing. Any
> suggestions?
>
> My second question is about a black cylendar right behind the bumper on
> the front right side of the vehicle. It has two hoses going into the
> top of it. What is this thing?

Did you try to spray penetrating oil into it?

Old January 9th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I had same problem with 96 neon . I sprayed light oil in the lock and blew
it out with compressed air . I believe the lock wasn't working because it
collects dirt over time . It works for me now!