Anyone out there?

Old April 11th 18, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
dom

Default Anyone out there?

Is usenet still alive?

dom.
Old April 12th 18, 08:04 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

On 2018-04-11 dom wrote in alt.autos.alfa-romeo:
> Is usenet still alive?

Yes it is!

But your question about usenet is off topic here. ;-)

Any Alfa related questions to ask or information to share?

(I must admit that I too asked my last Alfa questions on a forum instead
of here)

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

routing problems on the neural net
Old April 12th 18, 10:03 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
dom

Stef > wrote:
>On 2018-04-11 dom wrote in alt.autos.alfa-romeo:
>> Is usenet still alive?

>Yes it is!
>
>But your question about usenet is off topic here. ;-)
>
>Any Alfa related questions to ask or information to share?
>
>(I must admit that I too asked my last Alfa questions on a forum instead
>of here)
>

>--
>Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)
>
>routing problems on the neural net

I was prompted to post by a thread on alfaowner forum so... perhaps that
redeems me a little on the OT? Although it was in the 'Way Off Topic' section
there.

So...

Just had new front tyres on my Giulietta. Original Pirellis has done 18000
miles and looked fine for more *except* that the inside edge was worn smooth at
45degress over the corner of the tyre, down to the canvas (according to the MOT
garage). They checked the tracking (free of charge) and said it was fine and
didn't need any adjustment. Strange though.
Gone for Michelin PS4 now. They do seem better in the cold and wet (although
that might just be because they're new).

Took the G into an Alfa dealer for 3 year / 18000 miles service (because a few
warranty bits to do).
They broke the plastic cover on top of the engine (and say Alfa have yet to
send them a new one).
They replaced the rear internal door seals to stop water getting in when it
rains (which leaks in, as I told them, through the inside of the door and is
nothing to do with the seal they replaced) - so it still leaks.
They were unable (they said) to fix the petrol flap lock sticking as they were
waiting for Alfa to respond (not sure it they've actually fixed this or not;
last time I tried it *wasn't* stuck locked...).
They didn't notice the front tyre worn corner (MOT tester at independant garage
was quite concerned that I shouldn't drive on them).
They didn't offer to do the MOT test although it was due within two weeks of
the service.

Still loving the car. (Red, 1.4MA TCT 170).

dom.

Old April 12th 18, 03:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

On 2018-04-12 dom wrote in alt.autos.alfa-romeo:
> Stef > wrote:
>>On 2018-04-11 dom wrote in alt.autos.alfa-romeo:
>>
>>But your question about usenet is off topic here. ;-)

> I was prompted to post by a thread on alfaowner forum so... perhaps that
> redeems me a little on the OT? Although it was in the 'Way Off Topic' section
> there.

:-)

They had no help to offer on your tire problem?

> Just had new front tyres on my Giulietta. Original Pirellis has done 18000
> miles and looked fine for more *except* that the inside edge was worn smooth at
> 45degress over the corner of the tyre, down to the canvas (according to the MOT
> garage). They checked the tracking (free of charge) and said it was fine and
> didn't need any adjustment. Strange though.
> Gone for Michelin PS4 now. They do seem better in the cold and wet (although
> that might just be because they're new).

You say "according to the MOT garage", but have you seen the wear
yourself? "Down to the canvas" should be easy to spot.

I have no experience with the Giulietta, so just some general stuff.

Does sound like a problem with the wheel geometry.
Did they only check tracking or entire geometry?
Has the suspension been lowered? That can cause camber changes that can
lead to these kind of wear problems.
Other cause can be the tires touching some part of suspension or wheel arch.
Can happen if the tires are too big or when you have rims with the wrong ET,
or by lowering.
Shocks in good condition?

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Am I SHOPLIFTING?
Old April 12th 18, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
dom

Stef > wrote:
>On 2018-04-12 dom wrote in alt.autos.alfa-romeo:
>> Stef > wrote:
>>>On 2018-04-11 dom wrote in alt.autos.alfa-romeo:
>>>
>>>But your question about usenet is off topic here. ;-)

>> I was prompted to post by a thread on alfaowner forum so... perhaps that
>> redeems me a little on the OT? Although it was in the 'Way Off Topic'
>>section
>> there.

>:-)
>
>They had no help to offer on your tire problem?

Haven't got around to asking there.

>> Just had new front tyres on my Giulietta. Original Pirellis has done 18000
>> miles and looked fine for more *except* that the inside edge was worn smooth
>>at
>> 45degress over the corner of the tyre, down to the canvas (according to the
>>MOT
>> garage). They checked the tracking (free of charge) and said it was fine
>>and
>> didn't need any adjustment. Strange though.
>> Gone for Michelin PS4 now. They do seem better in the cold and wet
>>(although
>> that might just be because they're new).

>You say "according to the MOT garage", but have you seen the wear
>yourself? "Down to the canvas" should be easy to spot.

It was unusual wear, a quick check and the tread looked fine all across. I
didn't see the canvas/wire/whatever myself, but feeling the inside corner of
the tyre it was completely smooth and also 45 degree 'corners' where the
original corner of the tyres was worn down. Know where to look for next time
now anyway.

>I have no experience with the Giulietta, so just some general stuff.
>
>Does sound like a problem with the wheel geometry.
>Did they only check tracking or entire geometry?

I assume only tracking. I guess the entire geometry must need a jig specific
to the car - there can be so many variations of suspension travel and angles
that I would think a 'one size fits all' solution would be difficult?

>Has the suspension been lowered? That can cause camber changes that can
>lead to these kind of wear problems.
>Other cause can be the tires touching some part of suspension or wheel arch.
>Can happen if the tires are too big or when you have rims with the wrong ET,
>or by lowering.
>Shocks in good condition?

All absolutely standard factory. Shocks ok as far as I know.
I'm happy enough at 18000 miles for a pair of tyres. Just a little annoying
that most of the tyre was good for lot more miles.

My previous previous car was a Fiat Cinquento Sporting (the square shaped one)
which was great fun but got through plenty of (rather expensive) tyres.

But anyway, wasn't keen on the Pirelli P7 in cold weather. They seem to lose a
lot of grip. The Michelins I think are better in that regard.

dom.