check engine light - evap

Old August 29th 05, 09:17 PM
radar

Default check engine light - evap

I have a 2000 accord and keep getting the check engine light, have had it
checked 3 times and each time get the evap code. Does anyone know of any
common problems regarding evap on 200- accord 4cyl? I've had the gas cap
changed, 2 bypass valves leading to the tank, and 1 purge control solenoid -
and still check engine light. Anyone familiar with such a problem?

Old August 29th 05, 10:36 PM
High Tech Misfit

radar wrote:

> I have a 2000 accord and keep getting the check engine light, have had it
> checked 3 times and each time get the evap code. Does anyone know of any
> common problems regarding evap on 200- accord 4cyl? I've had the gas cap
> changed, 2 bypass valves leading to the tank, and 1 purge control solenoid -
> and still check engine light. Anyone familiar with such a problem?

Perhaps the gas cap is not on tight enough? When putting the cap back on,
it should click a few times. Otherwise, a loose gas cap will trigger this
error code.

Also, is the replacement cap OEM or aftermarket? Make sure it is OEM.
Old August 30th 05, 02:37 AM
bearman

"High Tech Misfit" > wrote in message
> radar wrote:
>
>> I have a 2000 accord and keep getting the check engine light, have had it
>> checked 3 times and each time get the evap code. Does anyone know of any
>> common problems regarding evap on 200- accord 4cyl? I've had the gas cap
>> changed, 2 bypass valves leading to the tank, and 1 purge control
>> solenoid -
>> and still check engine light. Anyone familiar with such a problem?

> Perhaps the gas cap is not on tight enough? When putting the cap back on,
> it should click a few times. Otherwise, a loose gas cap will trigger this
> error code.
>
> Also, is the replacement cap OEM or aftermarket? Make sure it is OEM.

I had a 2000 Odyssey that had that problem. Turned out to be the gas tank
filler neck.
--
Bearman
America: Land of the free because of the brave.

Old August 30th 05, 03:49 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

radar wrote:

> I have a 2000 accord and keep getting the check engine light, have had it
> checked 3 times and each time get the evap code. Does anyone know of any
> common problems regarding evap on 200- accord 4cyl? I've had the gas cap
> changed, 2 bypass valves leading to the tank, and 1 purge control solenoid -
> and still check engine light. Anyone familiar with such a problem?

=====================

If somebody is intentionally overfilling it, you can suck a bunch of
liquid fuel into the evap canister, and a CODE will be set. I think it's
in the Owner's Manual.

'Curly'
Old August 30th 05, 05:11 PM

what are the OBD 2 codes for it? i've had problems with EVAP on my
accord 99 4 cyl lx. But those were easy fixed. Depending on your
codes will determine which parts to replace. Like P1300 or P1301...
These codes are for fuel injectors or oxygen sensor that sometimes
fail. More so for the fuel injectors. Also check out if your EVAP
control is messed up. It's a $60 part here in the US straight from
Honda. Don't know how much it is for them to replace it since I
brought it to a friend I know.

--
semantic2
semantic2's Profile: http://Club3series.com626

Old August 31st 05, 03:52 AM
radar

The OBDII code was (and still is) P1457 for evap leak. I don't have access
to any list of codes so I have to assume that it really is evap? Is that a
broad category or jsut a few possible parts?

Old August 31st 05, 04:52 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

radar wrote:

> I have a 2000 accord and keep getting the check engine light, have had it
> checked 3 times and each time get the evap code. Does anyone know of any
> common problems regarding evap on 200- accord 4cyl? I've had the gas cap
> changed, 2 bypass valves leading to the tank, and 1 purge control solenoid -
> and still check engine light. Anyone familiar with such a problem?

==============================

Another hint . . Always quote the CODE, it's on your invoices. If it's
not there, get it from the servicing dealer's computer. You paid for it.
Then run it through google.com, and find out what it (actually) means.

'Curly'
Old September 1st 05, 03:48 AM
Michael Wojcik

In article >, "radar" > writes:

> The OBDII code was (and still is) P1457 for evap leak. I don't have access
> to any list of codes

The ODB-II site[1] will translate SAE (generic) codes, and codes for
US manufacturers. It doesn't do Honda, unfortunately; I don't know
offhand if there's a website for Honda's manufacturer codes.

> so I have to assume that it really is evap?

You're getting P1457:

P: powertrain DTC (diagnostic trouble code)
1: manufacturer-specific code (0 would be SAE)
4: auxiliary (ie not directly related to combustion) emissions
57: the specific fault code

P0457 is the SAE code for evaporative leak, so I suspect P1457 is
essentially the same issue.

> Is that a broad category or jsut a few possible parts?

Pretty much the parts from the gas cap to the tank, I think. So it
could be the cap or the filler tube, or the sensor (I assume there's
a sensor of some sort that detects an evaporative leak - I've never
looked into it).

Other parts of the EVAP system are a canister that traps vapors and a
purge valve and line that allow vapors to enter the engine to be
burned. I think those would have different codes, though.

1. http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp

--
Michael Wojcik

Most people believe that anything that is true is true for a reason.
These theorems show that some things are true for no reason at all,
i.e., accidentally, or at random. -- G J Chaitin
Old September 1st 05, 04:16 AM
bearman

"Michael Wojcik" > wrote in message

> In article >, "radar"
> > writes:
>>
>> The OBDII code was (and still is) P1457 for evap leak. I don't have
>> access
>> to any list of codes

> The ODB-II site[1] will translate SAE (generic) codes, and codes for
> US manufacturers. It doesn't do Honda, unfortunately; I don't know
> offhand if there's a website for Honda's manufacturer codes.
>
>> so I have to assume that it really is evap?

> You're getting P1457:
>
> P: powertrain DTC (diagnostic trouble code)
> 1: manufacturer-specific code (0 would be SAE)
> 4: auxiliary (ie not directly related to combustion) emissions
> 57: the specific fault code
>
> P0457 is the SAE code for evaporative leak, so I suspect P1457 is
> essentially the same issue.
>
>> Is that a broad category or jsut a few possible parts?

> Pretty much the parts from the gas cap to the tank, I think. So it
> could be the cap or the filler tube, or the sensor (I assume there's
> a sensor of some sort that detects an evaporative leak - I've never
> looked into it).
>
> Other parts of the EVAP system are a canister that traps vapors and a
> purge valve and line that allow vapors to enter the engine to be
> burned. I think those would have different codes, though.

P1457 Leak Detected In EVAP Control System (Acura, Honda)

from http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub.../bl_obd_14.htm
--
Bearman
If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

Old September 1st 05, 05:43 AM
SoCalMike

radar wrote:
> The OBDII code was (and still is) P1457 for evap leak. I don't have access
> to any list of codes so I have to assume that it really is evap? Is that a
> broad category or jsut a few possible parts?

hows your gas cap? stock? aftermarket? old?

if it doesnt seal well, and its not tightened 10 "clicks" it could
trigger an evap code.