GTR and new video card

Old July 28th 05, 05:33 PM
Tanstaafl

It's been my experience with GTR that I have to shut down a lot of processes
to make it run smooth. I recently upgraded from a 9700 Pro to 800XL, and
even though the frame went up, I still have to use EnditAll to shut things
down before launching the game. If I do that, it's pretty much stutter
free. I use 5.7 drivers.

oups.com...

Old July 28th 05, 11:58 PM
Dave Henrie

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> I don't think its your memory - I had 512mb for a while and never had
> really bad problems.
> I saw a post on RSC that looked like the exact same problem - it was in
> some Nordic language though . Based on the technical terms, numbers,
> and smileys I think I decoded it to mean the user was seeing what I'm
> seeing, but hasn't resolved it.
> The big gains I think were just more hype, and almost non-existent if
> you had a 256mb X800 card.
> I really want to keep this card, but seeing as rFactor and GTLegends
> were one of the reasons I wanted it, if it doesn't play nice with ISI
> sims it is going back.
> I'm going to roll back to Omega 5.4s or 5.1s tonight and I'll report
> back.
>
> Kendt

I think you will find that rFactor is much easier on the video subsystem
than GTR. I don't know why, but I don't see rFactor as anywhere near as
demanding as GTR.

dh
Old August 3rd 05, 07:36 AM
Alan Le

> 5.7's. Somebody posted here about the big gains blah blah blah and I
> jumped at them. With overclocking I can get my 800pro to show a triangle
> rate of over 100 million tri's in the F1c config. I would imagine the GTR
> figure to be pretty close. But on track, I'm pretty sure because of my
> limited memory,(512mb w/XP Pro) the sim pauses everywhere. Anytime a new
> image pops up..hiccup...and some, usually early in a session, can last for
> several seconds. I just try and freeze the postion of my hands and feet
> and wait. When I try a 24hr track, I have to let the AI drive the first
> lap after any time change. The fps drops to single digits. Again, pretty
> good fast DDR 3200/400 memory running on a FSB of 200mhz but only 512mb.

You may have tried these already, but turn "Look Ahead" to 0% and put GTR's
"Special Effects" setting to low. Both are known to cause intermittent
pausing and massive drops in framerate on many systems. Look Ahead affects
performance when turning, and Special Effects cause framerates to drop
dramatically over time.

Alan