Clunking noise in front suspension

Old January 21st 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
George Rhude

Default Clunking noise in front suspension

I have a 2001 GC with 70,000 miles and when I turn into my driveway I get
this clunking noise. I have replaced the sway bar links but this made no
difference. The tie rod ends are not loose. It does not wander on the road
like it has loose ball joints. I would like to get rid of this noise though.

Old January 21st 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scrapper[_29_]

i'd say you need to check your lower ball joints with 70.000 on it it's
time to replace them if know won has ever replaced them...good luck...

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 21st 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

George Rhude wrote:

> I have a 2001 GC with 70,000 miles and when I turn into my driveway I get
> this clunking noise. I have replaced the sway bar links but this made no
> difference. The tie rod ends are not loose. It does not wander on the road
> like it has loose ball joints. I would like to get rid of this noise though.

There are two sway bar bushings that do wear out that will make that
noise. They are two rubber blocks that attach the sway bar to the
engine cradle - inexpensive, dealer or aftermarket.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 21st 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scrapper[_30_]

yes i agree 2 the block bushings..and there is stablilizer links and
bushings also..

Old January 22nd 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Scrapper wrote:

> yes i agree 2 the block bushings..and there is stablilizer links and
> bushings also..

He already said he replaced the end links. Not sure if that vehicle has
the ball joint type end links (like the LH cars) or the more traditional
rod and bushing type - but in any case, he indicated he already did those.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 22nd 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

Bill
They have the ball joint type links. NAPA has avery good replacement (they
call it the premium) part. It has hex hold points and grease fittings and is
much beefier than the oem ones. They also have bushings that imo are much
better than oem

Old January 22nd 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jdoe wrote:
> Bill
> They have the ball joint type links. NAPA has avery good replacement (they
> call it the premium) part. It has hex hold points and grease fittings and is
> much beefier than the oem ones...

TRW/Moog makes both parts. They are now the same company, but both
parts are still made and shipped under the same part number
interchangeably. I order two of the same part for my Concorde and got
one of each under the same part number - boxes were identical except one
said "Made in Mexico", the other "Made in USA". The Moog one is the one
with the zerk fitting - part of Moog's "Problem Solver" line.

They also have bushings that imo are much
> better than oem

You mean like the ones I show here?:
http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8081&start=0

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 22nd 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
George Rhude

I used NAPA sway bar links when I replaced the links. I bought this Van new
and it has never been wrecked. I don't want to drop this crossmember
reinforcement piece but will if I have too. I do have the FSM. I always buy
one when I buy a new vehicle. I have looked at the sway bar bushings without
taking anything apart. They look OK but, I know that is not a very good way
to inspect these bushings. I was hoping this was a common problem and
someone would have a good idea on this one.

Old January 23rd 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

Yeah except the NAPA ones are light blue. I do think they are a little
"harder" as the cornering seems firmed up on every van I used them on.

Old January 23rd 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

What do you mean drop the reinforcement? There is no need for it to do
bushings.