02 hitch and ball receiver

Old May 8th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 02 hitch and ball receiver

I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory
hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a
recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that
a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion
since that was the only size they had in stock!

Old May 8th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

In article >,
WilM > wrote:
:I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory
:hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a
:recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that
:a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion
:since that was the only size they had in stock!

I am also needing to buy one for my '05 Explorer which I just bought.
I'm no expert, but I think how much drop (or rise) you need depends
upon your trailer. Ideally, you want your drop or rise such that the
trailer's tongue is level with the ground...not dipped down too far or
angled upwards too far, but as level as you can get it.
Old May 8th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Bob wrote:

> In article >,
> WilM > wrote:
> :I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory
> :hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a
> :recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that
> :a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion
> :since that was the only size they had in stock!
>
> I am also needing to buy one for my '05 Explorer which I just bought.
> I'm no expert, but I think how much drop (or rise) you need depends
> upon your trailer. Ideally, you want your drop or rise such that the
> trailer's tongue is level with the ground...not dipped down too far or
> angled upwards too far, but as level as you can get it.

I use a 5" drop on my 04 with 245-70x17 tires. Ops, I pull a 18 ft. bass
boat and need that drop to be able to retrieve the boat. If I remember
right my hitch ball is 15" inches off the ground as is my trailer when
level. Remember the receiver in in the bumper not under it like the old
Explorer's.

Ron
Old May 9th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

In article >,
Ron B. > wrote:
:Bob wrote:
:
:> In article >,
:> WilM > wrote:
:> :I need to buy a ball receiver (draw bar) for my 02 Expolorer. The factory
:> :hitch uses the smaller 1 1/4 inch receiver size. Does anyone have a
:> :recommendation on a drop size? The guy at my local auto shop suggested that
:> :a 2 1/2 inch drop was the right one. However, I don't trust his opinion
:> :since that was the only size they had in stock!
:>
:> I am also needing to buy one for my '05 Explorer which I just bought.
:> I'm no expert, but I think how much drop (or rise) you need depends
:> upon your trailer. Ideally, you want your drop or rise such that the
:> trailer's tongue is level with the ground...not dipped down too far or
:> angled upwards too far, but as level as you can get it.

:I use a 5" drop on my 04 with 245-70x17 tires. Ops, I pull a 18 ft. bass
:boat and need that drop to be able to retrieve the boat. If I remember
:right my hitch ball is 15" inches off the ground as is my trailer when
:level. Remember the receiver in in the bumper not under it like the old
:Explorer's.
:
:
:Ron

I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and
compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires
and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered
is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar.
Old May 9th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest
drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits
pretty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the
trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have
to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the
future.

Will

Old May 9th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

In article >,
WilM > wrote:
:I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest
:drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits
retty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the
:trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have
:to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the
:future.
:
:Will
:
:> I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and
:> compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires
:> and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered
:> is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar.

Here is a 6" drop but it's not very long (7"):

http://www.hitchcorner.com/ball_moun...lass2_standard

The BR_BM96 model in the Class II section...$40.95)

I saw another one on the web somewhere but can't find it now.

Bob
Old May 9th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

In article >, Bob > wrote:
:In article >,
:WilM > wrote:
::I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest
::drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits
:retty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the
::trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have
::to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the
::future.
::
::Will
::
::> I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and
::> compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires
::> and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered
::> is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar.
:
:Here is a 6" drop but it's not very long (7"):
:
:http://www.hitchcorner.com/ball_moun...lass2_standard
:
:The BR_BM96 model in the Class II section...$40.95)
:
:I saw another one on the web somewhere but can't find it now.
:
:Bob

I found another as well the one I saw earlier (bottom one below):

http://www.hitches4less.com/clasiibalmou1.html

6" drop, length 6"

And this site seems to have the best selection:

http://www.hitchesonline.com/class2_sq_drawbars.htm

The model PH30073 has a 6" drop and is 10.5" long...sounds about right for
my application, but I want to measure the length of my class III
drawbar I used to use on my '96 Explorer.

If anyone comes up with any other class II in the 5-6" drop range,
please post! Thanks.

Bob

Old May 10th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Speaking of which, does any one know of a GOOD source for a factory
style class III hitch for the 02-05 Explorer's? I have a class II on my
wife's EB. The chassis tow rating exceeds that of Class II, but more
over, I have a Class IV in my Expedition and wanted to be able to use
the more common 2" receiver on her's. That'd let us share attacments
like bike rack, cargo basket, and ball and drawbar's. I don't really
need to exceed the Class II rating with a small pop-up camper and would
never consider pulling my loaded car trailer... That's what the
Expedition is for!

KAM.

For the record, my '01 SportTrac pulled a loaded car trailer at highway
speed like it wasn't even there! That was with the "little" X-code 4.0l V6.

WilM wrote:
> I am also going to be pulling a 17' boat... single axle trailer. The lowest
> drop I have found is 2.5". I, too, have the Class II hitch which sits
> pretty high in the bumper. I am going to go re-measure the height of the
> trailer toungue and see if the 2.5" will cut it. If not, I might just have
> to live with it and consider replacing the hitch with a class III in the
> future.
>
> Will
>

>>I visited my 17' pleasure boat today in it's storage place and
>>compared my leveled trailer to the hitch on my '05 with 235-70x16 tires
>>and found out I am going to need a 5-6" drop, which I have discovered
>>is not going to be an easy find in a class II drawbar.

Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ Richard J Kinch Jeep 101 February 5th 06 05:04 AM
GC Hitch RoyJ Jeep 0 November 11th 05 06:19 PM
ball hitch with extra long shank asdf asdf Jeep 20 October 27th 05 11:56 PM
F.S. Audi 100 A6 Trailer Hitch Dennis Audi 0 January 29th 05 03:02 PM
Hitch Differences for 1991 Accord Wagon and Sedan? tyung Honda 0 November 15th 04 09:18 PM