BugMe videos?

Old November 9th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Default BugMe videos?

Hello there

I have the Bug Me series on how to repair your VW Beetle on VHS.
I've found all but one in .avi form on-line, and was curious if anyone
had that one in .avi form?

I basically just want to watch them off of my laptop, instead of being
stuck to my VHS and television.

Thanks

OldIron

P.s. I'm looking for chapter 8, I have the other 9 chapters...
Old November 10th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

OldIron wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I have the Bug Me series on how to repair your VW Beetle on VHS.
> I've found all but one in .avi form on-line, and was curious if anyone
> had that one in .avi form?
>
> I basically just want to watch them off of my laptop, instead of being
> stuck to my VHS and television.
>
> Thanks
>
> OldIron
>
> P.s. I'm looking for chapter 8, I have the other 9 chapters...

I'd like to help you out, but what you're basically asking us to do is
point you to a site that offers copyrighted material illegally for
download. Rick Higgins and his family produced those videos and owns
the copyright. I know pirated versions are out there to download, but I
just wouldn't feel right about posting links to those videos for anyone
on usenet to see.

I have some sympathy for your position *if* you do indeed own the series
on VHS. If so, you've basically purchased the rights to the
intellectual property for personal use, you'd just like to have access
to it in a more modern and convenient format. Seems like Rick ought to
think about making a deal where if you can prove that you own legitimate
volumes of his series on VHS he could offer an upgrade to DVD for a
nominal fee (enough to cover his costs plus a nominal fee). That would
seem to be fair for everyone. You might contact him with the suggestion
and see what he says.

I just can't see posting a link to sites where you can obtain illegally
pirated down loadable copies of Rick's work. I know that he and his
family have put a fair amount of work into the BugMe Video Series and
that booted versions on various download sites are hurting his sales.
So much so that I hear that he has not been very interested in producing
planned future volumes that have been listed on his website for years.
Personally, I'd like to see some of those planned volumes produced and
the only way that is going to happen is if Rick continues to see a
return on his work.

Sometimes VW owners are our own worst enemies. We can be so cheap that
we refuse to pay a reasonable price for a good quality product and then
we wonder why vendors offer to sell us so much junk.
Old November 10th 09, 08:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

BTW, here are the at one time planned but never produced five addition
volumes of the BugMe Video Series:

Volume 11 - Suspension (rebuild and lowering)

Volume 12 - Convertible top

Volume 13 - Interior (headliner, ragtop, seat upholstery, carpet)

Volume 14 - Glass & Trim (replace glass, window regulator, door handles,
vent locks & frame)

Volume 15 - Transmission rebuild

Personally I'd really like to buy Volumes 11 & 15 and would probably buy
Volumes 13 & 14 as well.
Old November 10th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Rusty Shackelford" > wrote in message

> Sometimes VW owners are our own worst enemies. We can be so cheap that we
> refuse to pay a reasonable price for a good quality product and then we
> wonder why vendors offer to sell us so much junk.

you can say that again... but "we" doesn't include all...

Old November 10th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Rusty Shackelford" > wrote in message
>

>> Sometimes VW owners are our own worst enemies. We can be so cheap that we
>> refuse to pay a reasonable price for a good quality product and then we
>> wonder why vendors offer to sell us so much junk.

> you can say that again... but "we" doesn't include all...

Yes, I know there are some (even many) VW owners that are willing to pay
for quality product. I'd include you and several on this forum in that
category. Unfortunately there are just too many who either don't know
quality work or product when they see it, or they are just too cheap to
pay for it.
Old November 11th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

.. Unfortunately there are just too many who either don't know
> quality work or product when they see it, or they are just too cheap to
> pay for it.

unfortunately

Old November 11th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Gents,

I totally agree on taking without buying. He/they put a TON of work
and a wealth of info into each video!!!

I'll ask him about the DVD if I have VHS question.

I'm looking forward, if he does them, to getting the rest of them!

OldIron

Old November 11th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:04:19 GMT, Rusty Shackelford >
wrote:

>BTW, here are the at one time planned but never produced five addition
>volumes of the BugMe Video Series:
>
>Volume 11 - Suspension (rebuild and lowering)
>
>Volume 12 - Convertible top
>
>Volume 13 - Interior (headliner, ragtop, seat upholstery, carpet)
>
>Volume 14 - Glass & Trim (replace glass, window regulator, door handles,
>vent locks & frame)
>
>Volume 15 - Transmission rebuild
>
>Personally I'd really like to buy Volumes 11 & 15 and would probably buy
>Volumes 13 & 14 as well.

Why were they not produced? I'm building a 60 Ghia coupe
and can use all the help I can get.
There seems to be no info on replacing 1/4 window rubber,
frame or glass any place on line
Dave
Daved&Confused
Old November 12th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:04:19 GMT, Rusty Shackelford >
> wrote:
>
>> BTW, here are the at one time planned but never produced five addition
>> volumes of the BugMe Video Series:
>>
>> Volume 11 - Suspension (rebuild and lowering)
>>
>> Volume 12 - Convertible top
>>
>> Volume 13 - Interior (headliner, ragtop, seat upholstery, carpet)
>>
>> Volume 14 - Glass & Trim (replace glass, window regulator, door handles,
>> vent locks & frame)
>>
>> Volume 15 - Transmission rebuild
>>
>> Personally I'd really like to buy Volumes 11 & 15 and would probably buy
>> Volumes 13 & 14 as well.

> Why were they not produced? I'm building a 60 Ghia coupe
> and can use all the help I can get.
> There seems to be no info on replacing 1/4 window rubber,
> frame or glass any place on line
> Dave
> Daved&Confused

Heard second hand that sales of the first 10 tailed off after they
showed up on various internet video distribution sites and the dreaded
bittorrent. Kinda killed the desire to produce the final 5 volumes. If
true, damn shame that a great resource for the VW community will have
been lost because some people either just don't see downloading pirated
material as stealing (it is) or they're just too damn cheap. I haven't
heard that directly from Rick but heard it from someone that
communicates with him.

I for one would love to see Rick go through a transmission rebuild as a
video. That's one area that is sort of lacking in instructional
material. Several VW Engine rebuilding videos out there to chose from
(I have at least 3 and can say pretty confidently that Rick's is the
best) but not nearly as many amateurs doing transmission rebuilds. Some
specialty tools and skills required and most guys are just intimidated
at the prospect of tearing into a tranny. Never done it myself but I
figure if I had a BugMe video on it I'd have a fighting chance or at
least be able to access whether or not it's something that I would want
to tackle.

Old November 17th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I have known Rick, his wife, sons, and daughter for quite a while, I
even stayed at their home in Fort Meyers, FL, one evening, had a
terrific home-cooked dinner (you tend to appreciate those things after
weeks of restaurant food) and even have a cameo in one of his videos
(I think it was either the pan replacement or the convertible support
rail replacement).
Rick, and his entire family, have poured their heart and soul and
savings into make the best damned video or DVD they possibly could for
ACVW enthusiasts.
They are some wonderful human beings, always willing to lend a hand to
the needy, and it hurts me personally that someone would intentionally
rip off such a fine family, and literally take food off their table.
Whoever you are, SHAME ON YOU. Rick Higgins and family are part of the
cure, and you are part of the damned problem.
There's more I would like to say to the RIPOFFS that have done this,
but this post would be deleted in nanoseconds if I told you how a
REALLY feel.

Dave Cormack

Bug Me Videos [email protected] VW air cooled 5 May 24th 09 08:37 PM
SOME NEW VIDEOS Jeff \(4X4PLAY\) Jeep 0 April 5th 07 02:40 PM
BMW Videos [email protected] BMW 1 May 10th 05 12:57 PM
More videos Kevin in San Diego Jeep 12 March 15th 05 09:36 AM
Videos 993ti General 0 December 4th 04 01:23 PM