A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Simulators
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

RSC and their mods



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old August 20th 05, 08:20 AM
Jeff Reid
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

> If I were given a warning for something I posted, rather than lashing
> out at the moderators, I'd re-examine my own behavior and if I felt the
> warning was unwarranted I would contact the moderators privately. I'm
> certain doing that would provide a positive result in all but the most
> extreme cases.


Extreme cases, like mine:

First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted. Another
person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.

I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in the
public domain for a long time, but agreed not to post a link to it at RSC.
The moderator insisted on leaving the yellow warning unless I got the
FIA to mail a letter to RSC stating I had permission to host the video.
I responded back that this was the equivalent of being "assumed guilty
until proven innocent" and that it was also the equivalent of defamation
of character.

Then a RSC moderator responded that I could no longer post a link to
any video, including the videos I personally made (I've made
a lot of racing game videos, and have posted these at many forums).

About the same time, Mbrio privately mailed to me that my reference to
"defamation of character" was "extremely serious", and unless I sent a
written letter agreeing to their policies within 24 hours, I would be
banned. I responded that I never agreed to having a warning avatar
attached to my posts, that I no longer wanted to be a member of RSC,
and wanted all of my posts deleted, as I considered my posts to be
copyrighted, and because of their violation of the original member
agreement, I was no longer giving them permission to host my posts.
Mbrio later sent me a regular email stating that I had been banned
and that all my posts were deleted as requested.







Ads
  #22  
Old August 20th 05, 08:21 AM
whooo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>>Maybe I should start a class action lawsuit to get them to
>>>stop this behavior ...

>
>
>>RSC provides a huge benefit to the COMMUNITY.
>>If you can show ME that your lawsuit can benefit ME more than all the
>>info and dloads provided FREE by RSC then go ahead, Start listing.

>
>
> Read my post ...
>
> I never stated that I might sue RSC for money or to shut them down.
> I stated that I might sue to stop them from attaching warning avatars
> on peoples posts. If they want to warn somebody, they should do it
> privately. What harm could there possibly be in getting a cease
> and desist order to stop them from attaching warning avatars to peoples
> posts?
>
>
>>They can do whatever the heck they want.

>
>
> Apparently not, they claim that they were shut down in the past
> because of a members post. Also, they can't violate laws,
> and they should abide by their own rules.
>
>
>>If I find something that is incorrect, I challenge it.

>
>
> Which is exactly what I did.
>
>
>>I don't know what your beef with RSC is about, I don't care.

>
>
> You cared enough to respond. It should be obviouse that
> my beef is that that RSC attaches warning avatars to peoples posts,
> and that quite often, the warnings are undeserved. In my
> case, the RSC moderators first ignored, then over-reacted to my
> private emails about receiving and public posting of warning.
>
>

Did you post under your real namer? If you used a nickname then you
would not have had a case over the warning avatars.
  #23  
Old August 20th 05, 08:26 AM
whooo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

jason moyer wrote:
> Jeff Reid wrote:
>
>
>>If this behavior ever did result in legal action

>
>
> Uh...what laws, in what country, are there against giving people
> warnings on an internet forum?
>
> I'd be impressed if people managed to successfully file a class-action
> lawsuit against a company that provides them a non-necessary service
> that they don't pay for.
>



Imagine if just one person tried: fastracer vs RSC

  #24  
Old August 20th 05, 08:29 AM
whooo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>If I were given a warning for something I posted, rather than lashing
>>out at the moderators, I'd re-examine my own behavior and if I felt the
>>warning was unwarranted I would contact the moderators privately. I'm
>>certain doing that would provide a positive result in all but the most
>>extreme cases.

>
>
> Extreme cases, like mine:
>
> First a RSC moderator edits a post of my to delete a link to a widely
> available (back in 2002) video of David Coulthard doing a qualifying
> lap back from 2002. I had a yellow warning avatar attached to all my
> posts, and a private email stating it was because in that moderator's
> opinion, that any video showing a F1 car would be copywrighted. Another
> person posted in a thread asking why I got a yellow warning.
>
> I responded to the moderator that the video in question had been in the
> public domain for a long time, but agreed not to post a link to it at RSC.
> The moderator insisted on leaving the yellow warning unless I got the
> FIA to mail a letter to RSC stating I had permission to host the video.
> I responded back that this was the equivalent of being "assumed guilty
> until proven innocent" and that it was also the equivalent of defamation
> of character.


Were you posting under your real name?
  #25  
Old August 20th 05, 08:53 AM
Jeff Reid
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

> Did you post under your real name?

I used jeffr. My profile includes my real name, and a link to
my web page (http://jeffareid.net), which also includes my real
name and email address.






  #26  
Old August 20th 05, 09:43 AM
Jeff Reid
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

> Were you posting under your real name?

Note that I'm using my real name here.

My profile at all the forums I've joined contains my real name, my
email address, and a link to my web site (http://jeffareid.net), which
also includes my real name. Within the forums, I've made many posts
with my email address and my web page. I've received many emails and
occasional phone calls from other forum members.


  #27  
Old August 20th 05, 09:49 AM
whooo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>Were you posting under your real name?

>
>
> Note that I'm using my real name here.
>
> My profile at all the forums I've joined contains my real name, my
> email address, and a link to my web site (http://jeffareid.net), which
> also includes my real name. Within the forums, I've made many posts
> with my email address and my web page. I've received many emails and
> occasional phone calls from other forum members.
>
>

Point taken.
  #28  
Old August 20th 05, 10:09 AM
Jeff Reid
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

> Is it just me or are the moderators at RSC even more restrictive than
> ever?


Getting back on topic (from my previous posts), look at what's happened
recently at RSC. One of the (ex?) moderators at RSC now works with or
for First / iRacing, which is sending legal threats to a lot of web
sites that host NR2003 mods. For example, look for iRacing on this
web page: http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php. (Pirate Bay may be a bad
example, but no one else posts the legal threats they receive).

One of the developers of Live For Speed was (is?) a moderator
for RSC's Live For Speed forum. (Live For Speed now has it's own
forums).

I'm wondering if RSC will allow posts or links to any mod for
any game anymore. Finding and downloading mods for games is one
of the main reasons I visit game forum sites, so I'll have to
search elsewhere now.

I started two threads about slicks for all cars in Live For Speed.
Mods to allow slicks for all cars have been created for S1 and S2.
In the first older thread regarding S1, any link to such a mod was
not allowed at RSC because the author of one particular mod is
banned at RSC. In the more recent thread regarding S2 alpha, another
RSC (ex?) member created such a mod, but RSC also removed the link to
that mod.

If you're intersted, the LFS S1 slick mod can be found he
http://www.phlos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6
(you'll need to join and reply to the thread to unlock the mod,
but no money is asked for).

The LFS S2 slick and other mods can be found he
http://koti.mbnet.fi/kegetys/lfs/



  #29  
Old August 20th 05, 10:46 AM
whooo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>Is it just me or are the moderators at RSC even more restrictive than
>>ever?

>
>
> Getting back on topic (from my previous posts), look at what's happened
> recently at RSC. One of the (ex?) moderators at RSC now works with or
> for First / iRacing, which is sending legal threats to a lot of web
> sites that host NR2003 mods. For example, look for iRacing on this
> web page: http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php. (Pirate Bay may be a bad
> example, but no one else posts the legal threats they receive).
>
> One of the developers of Live For Speed was (is?) a moderator
> for RSC's Live For Speed forum. (Live For Speed now has it's own
> forums).
>
> I'm wondering if RSC will allow posts or links to any mod for
> any game anymore. Finding and downloading mods for games is one
> of the main reasons I visit game forum sites, so I'll have to
> search elsewhere now.
>
> I started two threads about slicks for all cars in Live For Speed.
> Mods to allow slicks for all cars have been created for S1 and S2.
> In the first older thread regarding S1, any link to such a mod was
> not allowed at RSC because the author of one particular mod is
> banned at RSC. In the more recent thread regarding S2 alpha, another
> RSC (ex?) member created such a mod, but RSC also removed the link to
> that mod.
>
> If you're intersted, the LFS S1 slick mod can be found he
> http://www.phlos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6
> (you'll need to join and reply to the thread to unlock the mod,
> but no money is asked for).
>
> The LFS S2 slick and other mods can be found he
> http://koti.mbnet.fi/kegetys/lfs/
>
>
>

I've never really liked web-based forums. Newsgroups are better in my
opinion.
  #30  
Old August 20th 05, 10:48 AM
whooo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>Did you post under your real name?

>
>
> I used jeffr. My profile includes my real name, and a link to
> my web page (http://jeffareid.net), which also includes my real
> name and email address.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Well, I doubt if you would have had much of a case. Was your standing
reduced in the eyes of right thinking people? Probably not.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.