New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Old December 10th 10, 02:27 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

Default New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Well after 10 years of service and over 266,000 miles my '01 Accord EX-V6
Auto is finally leaving the family. This is the combination that Honda
extended the warranty on to like 109,000 miles. Never needed anything done
to it. That is until recently and now every morning I have a P0780 error.
So with that in mind I'm replacing her with a 2011 EX-L/Navi but this time
going with the i4.

Of the things I'll miss from the old one the one that for some reason sticks
out the most is Homelink. Honda only puts that in the v6 version of the car
for some odd reason.

Well here's to another 10 years and a quarter million miles!

Old December 10th 10, 10:16 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Cameo

"Seth" > wrote in message
> Well after 10 years of service and over 266,000 miles my '01 Accord
> EX-V6 Auto is finally leaving the family. This is the combination
> that Honda extended the warranty on to like 109,000 miles. Never
> needed anything done to it. That is until recently and now every
> morning I have a P0780 error. So with that in mind I'm replacing her
> with a 2011 EX-L/Navi but this time going with the i4.

So how did you get rid off it? Trade-in?

Old December 10th 10, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Cameo" > wrote in message
> "Seth" > wrote in message
>> Well after 10 years of service and over 266,000 miles my '01 Accord EX-V6
>> Auto is finally leaving the family. This is the combination that Honda
>> extended the warranty on to like 109,000 miles. Never needed anything
>> done to it. That is until recently and now every morning I have a P0780
>> error. So with that in mind I'm replacing her with a 2011 EX-L/Navi but
>> this time going with the i4.

> So how did you get rid off it? Trade-in?

Yes, trade. I know selling outright on the street is usually the better way
to go but I don't believe I would have done better by enough of a margin to
make it worth it.

Old December 10th 10, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Seth" > wrote:
>
>> Of the things I'll miss from the old one the one that for some reason
>> sticks
>> out the most is Homelink. Honda only puts that in the v6 version of the
>> car
>> for some odd reason.

> The garage door opener?
>
> I had an 00 4 cylinder manual trans Accord; I simply bought a Homelink
> panel off Ebay, and replaced the blank panel with that. Voila.

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea.
Worst case I guess I go old school and clip the remote to the visor like
millions others.

> It's not rocket science. Where do they install the buttons on the 2011
> model? Is it a panel you can replace? Shoot, just buy it from the
> dealer and have him install it.
>
> I am sorry you're buying another Honda. You'll find out why soon
> enough. Honda isn't the company it was 10 years ago.

That's sad to hear. But really, what else is the alternative in that class
(both price and what you get for it)? Our 2007 Odyssey has been holding up
well. Over 60k on that already.

Old December 10th 10, 07:00 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Seth" > wrote:
>
>> > I am sorry you're buying another Honda. You'll find out why soon
>> > enough. Honda isn't the company it was 10 years ago.

>> That's sad to hear. But really, what else is the alternative in that
>> class
>> (both price and what you get for it)? Our 2007 Odyssey has been holding
>> up
>> well. Over 60k on that already.

> Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of
> market. Certainly Nissan.

I test drove the Hyundai line (well, didn't bother with the Accent) and they
just weren't comfortable for me. Bad back and a 150 mile commute has made
my ass kind of picky.

> If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at
> that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of
> **** over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is
> pitiful.

Well I guess I'll possibly learn the hard way then.

Old December 10th 10, 07:44 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 12/10/2010 11:52 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> I am sorry you're buying another Honda. You'll find out why soon
>>> enough. Honda isn't the company it was 10 years ago.

>> That's sad to hear. But really, what else is the alternative in that class
>> (both price and what you get for it)? Our 2007 Odyssey has been holding up
>> well. Over 60k on that already.

> Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of
> market. Certainly Nissan.
>
> If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at
> that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of
> s*** over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is
> pitiful.
>
> Yes, I have some inside information on that.

I have a data point to dispute that. I bought my wife a 2005
Civic EX coupe with a five speed 6 years ago. It now has 55K
miles on it and the only thing that I have had to do besides
change the oil is replace the tires and the battery.

Excellent car and highly recommended.

Lynn
Old December 10th 10, 07:52 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/10/2010 10:28 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of
>>> market. Certainly Nissan.

>> I test drove the Hyundai line (well, didn't bother with the Accent) and they
>> just weren't comfortable for me. Bad back and a 150 mile commute has made
>> my ass kind of picky.

> Well, "comfortable for any given individual" is way different from
> "building quality cars".
>
> Honda is spending their hard-earned capital of reputation faster than a
> drunken sailor. That will come back to bite them, hard--but hey,
> they'll deal with that when the time comes, right?

they're certainly dropping their support of their older civics as fast
as they can. their 4-wheel double-wishbone crx, and 88-2000 civics were
fabulous bang for the buck, reliable, comparatively fast, comfortable
and great handling - they were the cars that put honda on the map. that
era of accord, integra and prelude wasn't bad either. they're still the
cars that keep honda winning on the grass roots race circuits too. but
honda are pulling support parts off the shelves and not replacing them -
it looks like they're aiming for 10-year support like domestics, and
that era has passed it's expiration date.

really bad for brand loyalty. and the new ones are uncomfortable. i'd
not buy a new car from honda's current lineup.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old December 10th 10, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

"Seth" > wrote in
:

> Well I guess I'll possibly learn the hard way then.

I think you're going to be just fine. Honda's still a good company, and
their cars are still well-made. However, considerable compromises have been
made to the interior and to other non-essential parts in order to allow the
re-allocation of funds necessary for all the airbags and other government-
mandated equipment. This results in a cheaper feel than what used to be.

Me, I'm on the verge of finally replacing the '91 Integra, which now has
over 356,000 miles and is going to need at least an engine/tranny rebuild
in the next year or two. Unfortunately, Honda does not have what I need, so
my next car will not be a Honda.

Why can't Honda make a Civic wagon, on the order of the Mazda 3 Sport?
/That/ I would buy. The Fit is too small for my needs.

I'll likely be buying something by next Christmas, if not before. The wife
and I have been discussing options, since we'd like something larger for
travelling.

--
Tegger
Old December 10th 10, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Cameo

"Seth" > wrote in message
>> So how did you get rid off it? Trade-in?

> Yes, trade. I know selling outright on the street is usually the
> better way to go but I don't believe I would have done better by
> enough of a margin to make it worth it.

With known problem it's best to trade it in and let the dealer take care
of any future problems with it.

Old December 10th 10, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Lynn McGuire" wrote

> I have a data point to dispute that. I bought my wife a 2005
> Civic EX coupe with a five speed 6 years ago. It now has 55K
> miles on it and the only thing that I have had to do besides
> change the oil is replace the tires and the battery.
>
> Excellent car and highly recommended.

Same opinion here, same replacements (plus rear brakes at about 30,000):
2004 Accord EX sedan i4 auto, 62K, very comfortable. Knock on Formica, it'll
be repair-free for another 62K. I've only owned Hondas since 1982, and will
be open to other brands when the time comes for a new one.