Ferrari Launches Ferrari Virtual Academy 2010

Old September 2nd 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Kai Åberg

Default Ferrari Launches Ferrari Virtual Academy 2010

This could be interesting. I think iRacing just got a serious competitor.

http://www.virtualr.net/ferrari-laun...-academy-2010/
Old September 2nd 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Kai Åberg > wrote in
:

> This could be interesting. I think iRacing just got a serious
> competitor.
>
> http://www.virtualr.net/ferrari-laun...-academy-2010/

About as serious as it gets. I remember *ages* ago when Ford released a
program/game that allowed you to drive a lot of their sedans up to and
including the Mustang GT. This was before MS windows 3.0 by quite a bit.
I haven't seen anything similar since. About time.

Old September 3rd 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(Kai Åberg) wrote:

> I think iRacing just got a serious competitor.

I think it's a bit early to say that. :-) But it's nice to hope that Ferrari have
put some real effort into making this a decent sim. The price is promising though...
if it was free I'd be more concerned it was just a publicity exercise rather than
an attempt to do something genuinely interesting.

The best thing about this so far is that it's come with very little warning. I hate
the way so many titles are announced about three million years before they are
released. It's just a shame F1 2010 is out so soon afterwards because that -- if
it's any good! -- could snuff out any real interest if the Ferrari project
struggles to gain momentum (like NKPro).

Still, it's nice to have three F1-related projects on the near horizon to look
forward to. In the past I've not been too interested in F1 style racing because my
talent runs out much earlier in much slower cars (as my past attempts to drive the
iRacing Dallara have proved). But it's still very interesting to see what these
projects have to offer... though I am 99% certain I'll end up lapping at the back
of the field in F1 2010 rather than cruising with the big talent in Ferrari or
iRacing.

Andrew McP

Old September 3rd 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

No doubt this is going to be a good F1 sim but it looks like it will
just be lapping/time trials in one car from what I read, no racing. Or
did I miss something?

GR

Old September 3rd 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

GaryR > wrote in
:

> No doubt this is going to be a good F1 sim but it looks like it will
> just be lapping/time trials in one car from what I read, no racing. Or
> did I miss something?

It appears it *may* be their version of the Red Bull driver academy
perhaps. Simulators have gained tremendously in respectability since
testing has was banned in F1. In fact the test drivers apparently
spend most of their time using the real expensive ones. A nice junket
if you can get it. A big mistake (the ban that is) IMHO, but
if Ferrari produces the simulator, they control the realism and
usefulness of it compared to the real world. That could make it
very useful for finding good drivers. Something that's been a problem
for Ferrari since Michael Schumacher retired.

Old September 7th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Martin Krejcirik

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 01:55 +0100 (BST), Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>it's any good! -- could snuff out
>any real interest if the Ferrari project struggles to gain momentum (like
>NKPro).

Actually, it IS NetKar Pro. Confirmed by Kunos.

Martin.