my first vette

Old March 23rd 05, 02:30 AM
wolfgang

Default my first vette

Hi all, I'm about to purchase an 87 convertible.. black with grey leather. 4
+ 3 speed manual. I was wondering if any of you could give some advice on
what to look for while checking it out. I am having a GM dealer check it
out but would like other opinions on that model.

thanks in advance.
gm

Old March 24th 05, 04:30 AM
Bob G

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:30:43 -0500, "wolfgang"
> wrote:

>Hi all, I'm about to purchase an 87 convertible.. black with grey leather. 4
>+ 3 speed manual. I was wondering if any of you could give some advice on
>what to look for while checking it out. I am having a GM dealer check it
>out but would like other opinions on that model.
>
>thanks in advance.
>gm

=================
Did you check out your local Corvette Club...?
Most Clubs KNOW where to get an honest evaluation of a Corvette plus
where to get work done on Corvettes that is both fairly priced and
done right....

Other then that it is a normal used car checking it out is nothing
special...That Transmission has a bad rep...BUT I'd take that with a
grain of salt...just make sure the OD works...lol...

Lots of luck... hope you enjoy it as much as I do my
corvette(S)...they can become addictive....

Bob Griffiths
Old March 25th 05, 07:33 PM
Ron Stewart

I would put it up on a hoist and check for signs of coolant leaking around
the head gaskets. I had to have both gaskets changed on my 87 stick when it
only had 15k miles on it. Luckily it was still under warranty as the
mechanic said it would have cost about $2000 to fix. Iron blocks and
aluminum heads can be big problems. My new C6 hopefully won't have this
problem as both are aluminum.

--
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.