ALFA 164 Not Starting-Electrical Fault

Old November 26th 06, 07:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Grasso

Default ALFA 164 Not Starting-Electrical Fault

G'day,

Have owned my 164 for about 4yrs, & never had any trouble starting it.
But today, engine turns over, but not starting.
Called on-road on-site mechanic, pulled out one of the spark plug leads &
no spark.
Then found no spark to coil.
He also checked the distributor ( after removing cap ) & it seemed ok .
Any idea what the electrical fault could be ?

Will be towed away to garage tomorrow.
Unfortunately in my town, it's the only Alfa, & this garage has never worked
on an Alfa.
Can someone, please direct me, where i can download a "electrical system"
diagram, that i can print for the mechanic, to assist him to locate fault?

thank you in advance

tonyg

Old November 26th 06, 10:11 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tony Grasso wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Have owned my 164 for about 4yrs, & never had any trouble starting it.
> But today, engine turns over, but not starting.
> Called on-road on-site mechanic, pulled out one of the spark plug leads &
> no spark.
> Then found no spark to coil.
> He also checked the distributor ( after removing cap ) & it seemed ok .
> Any idea what the electrical fault could be ?

Spark *to* coil, or spark *from* coil?

> Will be towed away to garage tomorrow.
> Unfortunately in my town, it's the only Alfa, & this garage has never worked
> on an Alfa.
> Can someone, please direct me, where i can download a "electrical system"
> diagram, that i can print for the mechanic, to assist him to locate fault?
>
> thank you in advance

Sorry, I don't have a diagram, but it sounds like normal trouble
shooting techniques should isolate the fault. Just hope it's not ECU
related....

Where are you?

> tonyg

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old November 26th 06, 10:21 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> Where are you?

Australia, at a guess.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old November 26th 06, 12:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Grasso

G'day,

No spark @ the spark plug, & no spark from distributor to coil ( hope that
makes sense ?)

Where is the ECU ?
& how much is that to replace ?

I live in Australia

tks

Old November 26th 06, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> Where are you?

> Australia, at a guess.

I just *knew* you were going to say that

Old November 26th 06, 02:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tony Grasso wrote:
> G'day,
>
> No spark @ the spark plug, & no spark from distributor to coil ( hope that
> makes sense ?)

Not really. The spark comes *from* the coil, unless something is
*really* broken

> Where is the ECU ?

On a 164 I'm afraid I have no idea

> & how much is that to replace ?

See above. When I said 'ecu related' I meant to imply that the reason
the spark is not happening could be a simple electrical issue that is
preventing the spark from happening (bad connection on the LT side of
the coil for example) or, (and this will be much harder to track) that
some kind of sensor fault is making the ECU 'decide' there is no need to
spark. Or the ECU could be dead. Not really much more I can do to
help. ISTR that the manuals are available for download on the web, but
you may have to do some hunting.

> I live in Australia

I thought you might, but didn't want to stereotype you

Good luck

Old November 28th 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Peter[_5_]

>> Where is the ECU ?

> On a 164 I'm afraid I have no idea
>
>> & how much is that to replace ?
>>

> See above. When I said 'ecu related' I meant to imply that the reason the
> spark is not happening could be a simple electrical issue that is
> preventing the spark from happening (bad connection on the LT side of the
> coil for example) or, (and this will be much harder to track) that some
> kind of sensor fault is making the ECU 'decide' there is no need to spark.
> Or the ECU could be dead. Not really much more I can do to help. ISTR
> that the manuals are available for download on the web, but you may have
> to do some hunting.

May not be of any help but my Renault had the same/similar problem.
Turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. This was stopping the spark as
the ECU didn't know WHEN to spark.

Old November 29th 06, 09:52 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Gareth Hill

My 156 recently had the same problem. Turned over but would not fire
and it was the crankshaft sensor too. Luckily I knew a local mechanic
(in Cumbria) who had a general testing computer to find this out from
the ECU error. A warning however, a week after I had the crankshaft
sensor fixed, the cambelt gave way - so this could be a sign that it is
already weakening...

Old December 1st 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Grasso

G'day Peter ( & others )

tks for help,

I wonder where the " Crank Position Sensor" is located in the 164 ?

Currently in mechanic's garage ( was towed away last Mon )
No feedback yet, so keeping my fingers crossed.

tks
tonyg

Old December 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Grasso

G'day,

Alfa was towed away from workplace last Mon week , last Thurs got call from
RACV garage, & mentioned that it needed a new cable ( ?) ,had worn away ( i
think he said was rubbing against one of
the belts? ) that was causing a short.
Mentioned was going to cost a fair bit, due to labour ( probably spent a lot
of time on fault finding )
Yesterday rang RACV ( was hoping that cable was replaced & ready for
pick-up )
Unfortunately, mechaninc was still working on it, cable was replaced, but
now engine starts & stops.
Any idea what that could be due to ?
Mechanic mentioned could be, to do with computer ? ECU ?

TKS

RACV:Royal Automobile Club of Victoria