156 spark plug change

Old September 2nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Default 156 spark plug change

R D S > wrote:

> > Whatever, I can't remember plug sizes on the 16v TSparks, but they're in
> > the same place - between the camshaft tunnels. Where they've always been
> > on twin-cam engines.

> Well you've saved me the bother of my next question, 'wheres the bloody
> camshaft then?'
> I hadn't realised there were two of them!
>
> Ill give it a do tomorrow, its misfiring like a bitch, the engine light is
> either lit or flashing depending on its mood, ever the optimist I am hoping
> it wants plugs!

That's not plugs. That's going to need the ECU fault codes reading to
find out the cause of the problems.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old September 2nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

R D S > wrote:

> > Whatever, I can't remember plug sizes on the 16v TSparks, but they're in
> > the same place - between the camshaft tunnels. Where they've always been
> > on twin-cam engines.

> Oh, and plugs £10 each? WTF?

Long-life Platinum tipped, changed on 72k mile intervals.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old September 2nd 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> > Whatever, I can't remember plug sizes on the 16v TSparks, but they're
>> > in
>> > the same place - between the camshaft tunnels. Where they've always
>> > been
>> > on twin-cam engines.

>> Well you've saved me the bother of my next question, 'wheres the bloody
>> camshaft then?'
>> I hadn't realised there were two of them!
>>
>> Ill give it a do tomorrow, its misfiring like a bitch, the engine light
>> is
>> either lit or flashing depending on its mood, ever the optimist I am
>> hoping
>> it wants plugs!

> That's not plugs. That's going to need the ECU fault codes reading to
> find out the cause of the problems.

(replied to email in error)

Error codes are misfire cylinder 1,and camshaft position sensor, althogh the
CPS has been replaced.
I thought i'd do the plugs then take back to the garage if neccesary.

Old September 2nd 06, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

R D S > wrote:

> > That's not plugs. That's going to need the ECU fault codes reading to
> > find out the cause of the problems.

> (replied to email in error)
>
> Error codes are misfire cylinder 1,and camshaft position sensor, althogh the
> CPS has been replaced.
> I thought i'd do the plugs then take back to the garage if neccesary.

Clear down the ECU before going any further.

Disconnect the +ve lead from the battery and hold it against the -ve
terminal for 20-30 seconds.

Re-connect +ve lead and see what happens. This should drain and re-set
all settings and codes from the ECU.

Once you've done that, the car will either be running OK, or will be
giving the current error codes on reading the ECU.

It doesn't sound like a plug fault to me, unless they're approaching the
change interval.

The new CPS could also be faulty / not correctly fitted.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old September 2nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"SteveH" > wrote in message
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> > That's not plugs. That's going to need the ECU fault codes reading to
>> > find out the cause of the problems.

>> (replied to email in error)
>>
>> Error codes are misfire cylinder 1,and camshaft position sensor, althogh
>> the
>> CPS has been replaced.
>> I thought i'd do the plugs then take back to the garage if neccesary.

> Clear down the ECU before going any further.
>
> Disconnect the +ve lead from the battery and hold it against the -ve
> terminal for 20-30 seconds.
>
> Re-connect +ve lead and see what happens. This should drain and re-set
> all settings and codes from the ECU.
>
> Once you've done that, the car will either be running OK, or will be
> giving the current error codes on reading the ECU.
>
> It doesn't sound like a plug fault to me, unless they're approaching the
> change interval.
>
> The new CPS could also be faulty / not correctly fitted.

Would that cause the misfire, in the past it just reduced the rev limiter to
2500.

I will do as you say in the morning, with fingers crossed.
This will teach me to buy a car on Ebay.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

R D S > wrote:

> > It doesn't sound like a plug fault to me, unless they're approaching the
> > change interval.
> >
> > The new CPS could also be faulty / not correctly fitted.

> Would that cause the misfire, in the past it just reduced the rev limiter to
> 2500.

There's a whole multitude of things that could cause a misfire. A plug
is one of 'em, but with the TSpark system it shouldn't be that
noticeable unless both plugs have failed.

It could well be a coil pack failure. Although that would, ISTR, affect
more than one cylinder (can't remember if there's 2 or 4 coil packs on
the TSpark lumps). But it does sound more like a coil pack than a plug.

> I will do as you say in the morning, with fingers crossed.
> This will teach me to buy a car on Ebay.

Heh.

It's going to be something cheap to fix, once you've worked out what's
at fault.

What mileage is the car on? - has the cambelt been changed? - what else
was done on the cambelt service if it's been done? (I have the plugs and
belts done at the same time)
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old September 2nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"SteveH" > wrote in message
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> > It doesn't sound like a plug fault to me, unless they're approaching
>> > the
>> > change interval.
>> >
>> > The new CPS could also be faulty / not correctly fitted.

>> Would that cause the misfire, in the past it just reduced the rev limiter
>> 2500.

> There's a whole multitude of things that could cause a misfire. A plug
> is one of 'em, but with the TSpark system it shouldn't be that
> noticeable unless both plugs have failed.
>
> It could well be a coil pack failure. Although that would, ISTR, affect
> more than one cylinder (can't remember if there's 2 or 4 coil packs on
> the TSpark lumps). But it does sound more like a coil pack than a plug.
>
>> I will do as you say in the morning, with fingers crossed.
>> This will teach me to buy a car on Ebay.

> Heh.
>
> It's going to be something cheap to fix, once you've worked out what's
> at fault.

Yeah, but Ive already funded a new piston, camshaft, CPS and various other
sensors, it is turning into a dear hobby.

Still love the car though.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

R D S > wrote:

> > It's going to be something cheap to fix, once you've worked out what's
> > at fault.
> >

> Yeah, but Ive already funded a new piston, camshaft, CPS and various other
> sensors, it is turning into a dear hobby.
>
> Still love the car though.

Ahh. In that case.... clear the ECU, hope it temporarily makes the
problem go away, and flog the car.

Failing that, if it's still playing up, take it to auction. Seriously,
they're complex things, these TSpark lumps, and it sounds like you've
got a complete dog there, I'm afraid.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old September 2nd 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> > It's going to be something cheap to fix, once you've worked out what's
>> > at fault.
>> >

>> Yeah, but Ive already funded a new piston, camshaft, CPS and various
>> other
>> sensors, it is turning into a dear hobby.
>>
>> Still love the car though.

> Ahh. In that case.... clear the ECU, hope it temporarily makes the
> problem go away, and flog the car.
>
> Failing that, if it's still playing up, take it to auction. Seriously,
> they're complex things, these TSpark lumps, and it sounds like you've
> got a complete dog there, I'm afraid.

Knew I should have got a diesel!

Old September 2nd 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

R D S > wrote:

> > Ahh. In that case.... clear the ECU, hope it temporarily makes the
> > problem go away, and flog the car.
> >
> > Failing that, if it's still playing up, take it to auction. Seriously,
> > they're complex things, these TSpark lumps, and it sounds like you've
> > got a complete dog there, I'm afraid.

> Knew I should have got a diesel!

You'd say that until you had to pay for a cambelt change.... £1200 at an
Alfa dealer. (Assuming you're talking the 2.4JTD rather than later 1.9s)
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL