No compression

Old September 4th 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

Default No compression

No compression! Its only a few weeks since I last heard it.

Whats the prize for buying the worlds worst used Alfa?

Another one?

Old September 5th 06, 08:34 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:15:30 +0100, "R D S" > wrote:

>No compression! Its only a few weeks since I last heard it.
>
>Whats the prize for buying the worlds worst used Alfa?

There are reasons why Alfa just swap out these engines after any major
incidents but, according to your previous posts, you thought this too
much of a gamble! IMHO the real gamble was keeping it.

IIRC, it's just had a fairly major engine overhaul. I hope you're not
going to throw all your money into a sh!te engine in the hope of
converting it into a cr@p engine! Having said that, was there any
guarantee with the overhaul? The odour of dodgy back street engine
overhauls fills the air - been there seen it done it learned the
lesson!

>Another one?

Engine..yes.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old September 6th 06, 06:53 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:15:30 +0100, "R D S" > wrote:
>
>>No compression! Its only a few weeks since I last heard it.
>>
>>Whats the prize for buying the worlds worst used Alfa?

> There are reasons why Alfa just swap out these engines after any major
> incidents but, according to your previous posts, you thought this too
> much of a gamble! IMHO the real gamble was keeping it.
>
> IIRC, it's just had a fairly major engine overhaul. I hope you're not
> going to throw all your money into a sh!te engine in the hope of
> converting it into a cr@p engine! Having said that, was there any
> guarantee with the overhaul? The odour of dodgy back street engine
> overhauls fills the air - been there seen it done it learned the
> lesson!

Credit to the bloke who overhauled it recently, he is fiing it this time for
free.

I dunno, maybe I have found a decent, reasonable honest mechanic?

Old September 6th 06, 07:13 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 06:53:50 +0100, "R D S" > wrote:

>Credit to the bloke who overhauled it recently, he is fiing it this time for
>free.

That's a good sign.

>I dunno, maybe I have found a decent, reasonable honest mechanic?

Competent is more important than honest IMHO.

Old September 6th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 06:53:50 +0100, "R D S" > wrote:
>
>>Credit to the bloke who overhauled it recently, he is fiing it this time
>>for
>>free.

> That's a good sign.
>
>>I dunno, maybe I have found a decent, reasonable honest mechanic?

> Competent is more important than honest IMHO.

Surely they are equally important. A competent lying mechanic is no good.

Old September 7th 06, 07:21 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:43:38 +0100, "R D S" > wrote:

>Surely they are equally important. A competent lying mechanic is no good.

My reasoning assumes that the main requirement is *getting the job
done properly*. IMHO, a competent lying mechanic will do the job but
you may be more out of pocket than you should be. An incompetent but
honest mechanic may do more damage than good. It's a fine point but
it's my experience and choice of qualities. YMMV.

It goes without saying that a competent, honest mechanic beats both
but they seem a bit thin on the ground.

Old September 7th 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:43:38 +0100, "R D S" > wrote:
>

>>Surely they are equally important. A competent lying mechanic is no good.

> My reasoning assumes that the main requirement is *getting the job
> done properly*. IMHO, a competent lying mechanic will do the job but
> you may be more out of pocket than you should be. An incompetent but
> honest mechanic may do more damage than good. It's a fine point but
> it's my experience and choice of qualities. YMMV.
>
> It goes without saying that a competent, honest mechanic beats both
> but they seem a bit thin on the ground.

*cough* Jamie Porter *cough*

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk