QUESTION ABOUT ANTENNA

Old October 25th 05, 05:16 PM
Adam

Default QUESTION ABOUT ANTENNA

Ok, was wondering if anyone could tell me the real reason for the spirals
around the antenna on my truck and the black dots on the top of the
windshield

Old October 25th 05, 07:54 PM
David

"Adam" > wrote in message
> Ok, was wondering if anyone could tell me the real reason for the spirals
> around the antenna

It stiffens the antenna without adding weight. That is why if you really are
speeding it does not bounce off your windshield like the old ones used to
do, like my fathers old 79 Club cab always did when it was windy of driving
fast.

on my truck and the black dots on the top of the
> windshield

Helps to shade the eyes from the sun.

Anything else?

Old October 25th 05, 08:02 PM
maxpower

"Adam" > wrote in message
> Ok, was wondering if anyone could tell me the real reason for the spirals
> around the antenna on my truck and the black dots on the top of the
> windshield

Actually the antenna was designed that way to cut down on wind noise.
without that twist you may have gotten wind noise. If you remember way back
there was even a commercial on TV that Chrysler had stating how much trouble
they go thru to keep noises down, part of that ad was discussing the
antenna.
Not sure about the dot thing cause I am not a truck dealer. And without
telling me the model and year I cant look it up to give you an answer. But
it could be part of a deicer or just for protection from the sun.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old October 25th 05, 08:11 PM
Adam

my assumption on the spiral was that it had somthing to do with your remote
to unlock the doors. Now the dots I just figured they were an instant
deicer. See I read a message in the chevy group and someone had replied but
I didnt think that it was true.

Old October 25th 05, 08:58 PM
maxpower

"Adam" > wrote in message
> my assumption on the spiral was that it had somthing to do with your

remote
> to unlock the doors. Now the dots I just figured they were an instant
> deicer. See I read a message in the chevy group and someone had replied

but
> I didnt think that it was true.
>

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Adam" > wrote in message
> > > Ok, was wondering if anyone could tell me the real reason for the

> spirals
> > > around the antenna on my truck and the black dots on the top of the
> > > windshield
> > >

> > Actually the antenna was designed that way to cut down on wind noise.
> > without that twist you may have gotten wind noise. If you remember way

> back
> > there was even a commercial on TV that Chrysler had stating how much

> trouble
> > they go thru to keep noises down, part of that ad was discussing the
> > antenna.
> > Not sure about the dot thing cause I am not a truck dealer. And without
> > telling me the model and year I cant look it up to give you an answer.

> But
> > it could be part of a deicer or just for protection from the sun.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

Once again, model and year?

Old October 25th 05, 09:37 PM
blueeyes269

The black dots or Dot Matrix are sun protection. The cost of the vinyl
ply with the tinting on the edge has been slowly phased out as a cost
saving measure. Almost all new vehicles sold have the winshield edges
painted to hide the sealer. With less trim and edges even exposed like the
Jeep liberty it is a cheap way to cover things up. Now some Makers have
automatic de-icers but this is an expensive option. And damn hard to make.
Also if there are only a couple of dots they may be robot locating points
for installation.
Rick

Old October 25th 05, 10:13 PM
Adam

I have a 99 GMC Jimmy

Old October 25th 05, 11:48 PM
maxpower

"Adam" > wrote in message
> I have a 99 GMC Jimmy
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Adam" > wrote in message
> > > my assumption on the spiral was that it had somthing to do with your

> > remote
> > > to unlock the doors. Now the dots I just figured they were an instant
> > > deicer. See I read a message in the chevy group and someone had

replied
> > but
> > > I didnt think that it was true.

> > > spirals

the

noise.

way
> > > back
> > > trouble

> without

> answer.
> > > But

> > Once again, model and year?

Umm, why not ask this question in a chevy room

Old October 26th 05, 02:15 AM
Adam

I asked this question in the chevy room but had a smartass answer the
question and I didnt think he knew what he was talking about

Old October 26th 05, 05:37 AM
David

"Adam" > wrote in message
>I asked this question in the chevy room but had a smartass answer the
> question and I didnt think he knew what he was talking about

So, You bothered Chrysler people? I know we are smarter then Chevy people.
We have to answer there questions for them