P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire)

Old January 15th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire)

Got the above code on my Kia 2008 Rondo 6 cyl. 2.7 liter engine. Car runs crappy!

I will diagnose the problem, HOWEVER, does the computer shut down the fuel to cylinder 2 because it is misfiring? When I had this trouble with my Chevy Silverado 5.3 liter (bad spark plug wire), replacing the wire did not solve the problem since the computer shut the cylinder down. This makes diagnosis very difficult (cannot simply swap wires, spark plugs or coils). If this is the case does anybody know how to 'reset' the computer. I know how to erase the code but I don't think that is the same thing.

All replies appreciated,

Ivan Vegvary
Old January 15th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
no way

Computers don't "shut cylinders down" when there is a running problem.

Old January 16th 12, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause

"no way" wrote:

> Computers don't "shut cylinders down" when there is a running problem.

Tell that to the Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting outside our shop.

Testing shows the injector gets its firing pulse until the number of misfires
hits 200 or so, then the signal is cut off, and the "misfire" code is set.
The cylinder is then "dead" until the code is cleared, and it starts all over.

Old January 16th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/15/2012 05:18 PM, Sanity Clause wrote:
> "no way" wrote:
>
>> Computers don't "shut cylinders down" when there is a running problem.

> Tell that to the Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting outside our shop.
>
> Testing shows the injector gets its firing pulse until the number of misfires
> hits 200 or so, then the signal is cut off, and the "misfire" code is set.
> The cylinder is then "dead" until the code is cleared, and it starts all over.

it should be a temporary shutdown, not permanent. as you say, it should
count a number of no-ignition events, then quit injecting to save
emissions and the catalyst. but it should also re-test periodically too.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old January 16th 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"Sanity Clause" > wrote in
:

> "no way" wrote:
>
>> Computers don't "shut cylinders down" when there is a running
>> problem.

> Tell that to the Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting outside our shop.
>
> Testing shows the injector gets its firing pulse until the number of
> misfires hits 200 or so, then the signal is cut off, and the "misfire"
> code is set. The cylinder is then "dead" until the code is cleared,
> and it starts all over.

Protection for the cat, evidently. Seems like a sensible approach to me.

--
Tegger

300M misfire code P0302 -> no coil codes, no injector codes? MoPar Man Chrysler 33 November 3rd 07 10:35 PM
cylinder misfire problem [email protected] Chrysler 1 May 14th 07 10:18 AM
Cylinder 3 misfire revisited Lance Ford Explorer 0 June 9th 06 05:16 PM
SL1 cylinder 1 misfire Rodster Saturn 2 October 8th 05 02:56 AM
97 Tahoe #5 cylinder misfire ... mrjcola 4x4 1 September 1st 05 05:02 PM