saturn weirdness

Old March 12th 05, 11:31 PM

Default saturn weirdness

sorry for barging in on your group but the answers to life's most
important questions can usually be found in usenet. so...

I don't know much about cars but I know when my car is messed up. I
think it's a fairly simple problem but no one has figured it out.
The problem started when I took my 2003 ION for its 10,000 mile check
up. They did only minor stuff, didn't change the oil, they did change
the heat filter, etc. I never had a problem with the car before I took
it in. After I take it in about three days later I notice the
following: the power steering is not as "powerful" anymore, that is it
takes more turn of the wheel to steer. Even worse, the engine acts
different. It lurches forward, the acceleration is poor, it feels like
the car is slipping gears. I take it to two different Saturn dealers
and they can't find anything wrong with it but I was so sure that it
was driving much better before. I also noticed that this lurching and
slipping got worse after the gas level got below half. So ok I go maybe
six months thinking I can do nothing about it. I take it in to Walmart
for an oil change and boom, they change the oil and the filter and the
is just like it was. Nice and smooth. At this point I think everything
is fixed and thank god I wasn't imagining things. But after a week or
so the same stuff is starting to happen. Now I think I have a piece of
pertinent information that may help crack this: when the car is having
problems, the heat or AC functions even if it is set to off. In other
words, I can be driving with the heat off but it is still blowing lots
of hot air into the car.
I may be wrong but in my other cars if the heat was off it was off
period. Any ideas? Please!

Gabe

Old March 14th 05, 12:15 AM
itsallgood

Gabe, I don't think you are completely nuts.
When the heat or AC is on the load on the engine is greater. The AC
kicks in and out when the heat is on. I suspect your problem is
isolated in that area. Maybe there is a malfunctioning relay or module
for the temperature control. They originally worked in the heater area
you said. I don't know what they might have done wrong.
Maybe your fuel pump is getting weak if topping off the tank makes a
difference. If so, you will know very soon I should think. A check of
the fuel pressure should be done.
Power steering not as powerful? This could still be the low idle
because of the AC being on when it should not be.
Or you could take it to Wal-Mart for an oil change every week. That
seems to fix it.

Old March 16th 05, 07:19 AM
Eric F

the power steering on an Ion is electric, hence the smaller steering wheel.

ups.com...