Long term storage (3 months or more)

Old February 5th 05, 01:29 AM
xenman

Default Long term storage (3 months or more)

I'm about to store my 2000 Explorer for 3 or more months. I know I need to
disconnect the batter, and add stabilizer to the fuel. I have some more
questions.

1. Is there an oil additive to help prevent the oil from 100% draining into
the oil pan? The objective is to keep things lubricated.

2. If I can't put it up on blocks or jack stands, how much air pressure
should I put in the tires? I like to keep them at 30 - 31 pounds of pressure.

Is there anything else I should do?

Old February 6th 05, 01:56 AM
Jim Warman

If the car is not being totally mothballed (that is to say if it is garaged
or covered and you are not leaving town) you are just as far ahead to have
it up on blocks and about once a month, start it up and run it to operating
temp. After the engine is up to temp, "exercise" everything to distribute
lubricants and such. Even better is to just drive it around the block.

If you are leaving the area, up on blocks is the better recommendation
though three months isn't what you would call extended storage. Remove the
plugs and pour a small amount of oil in each cylinder (maybe 1 or 2
tablespoons) and turn the motor over remembering to hang rags over the
holes... reinstall the plugs. Of course, you would have change the motor oil
before this step. When you return the motor to service, remove the fuel pump
relay and crank the motor until oil pressure shows on the gauge. Your chosen
tire pressure should be adequate.

Bear in mind where the car is being stored... if there are mice or other
vermin, be sure they haven't taken up residence in the aircleaner or
where-ever.

Old February 6th 05, 07:20 PM
Bill Jeffrey

Battery maintainer? Better idea - simply disconnect one battery cable.

I routinely store my 98 Ford Ranger for 6 months at a time in my gararge
in Maine. Still has the OEM battery. Among other steps, I disconnect
one of the battery cables as part of the routine. By doing so, I
disconnect all the phantom loads, such as the radio preset memory and
the engine computer - which are what discharges the battery. When I
return in six months, I simply reconnect that battery, and it starts
right up. I haven't yet had to boost it.

By contrast, a cheap battery maintainer can overcharge the battery -
which is not a good thing.

Bill Jeffrey
-----------------------

Old February 6th 05, 09:39 PM
xenman

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:56:43 GMT, "Jim Warman" > wrote:

>If the car is not being totally mothballed (that is to say if it is garaged
>or covered and you are not leaving town) you are just as far ahead to have
>it up on blocks and about once a month, start it up and run it to operating
>temp. After the engine is up to temp, "exercise" everything to distribute
>lubricants and such. Even better is to just drive it around the block.
>
>If you are leaving the area, up on blocks is the better recommendation
>though three months isn't what you would call extended storage. Remove the
>plugs and pour a small amount of oil in each cylinder (maybe 1 or 2
>tablespoons) and turn the motor over remembering to hang rags over the
>holes... reinstall the plugs. Of course, you would have change the motor oil
>before this step. When you return the motor to service, remove the fuel pump
>relay and crank the motor until oil pressure shows on the gauge. Your chosen
>tire pressure should be adequate.
>
>Bear in mind where the car is being stored... if there are mice or other
>vermin, be sure they haven't taken up residence in the aircleaner or
>where-ever.
>

>"xenman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm about to store my 2000 Explorer for 3 or more months. I know I need

>> disconnect the batter, and add stabilizer to the fuel. I have some more
>> questions.
>>
>> 1. Is there an oil additive to help prevent the oil from 100% draining

>into
>> the oil pan? The objective is to keep things lubricated.
>>
>> 2. If I can't put it up on blocks or jack stands, how much air pressure
>> should I put in the tires? I like to keep them at 30 - 31 pounds of

>pressure.
>>
>> Is there anything else I should do?

The vehicle could be stored anywhere from 2.5 months to 8 months. I just don't
know yet how long. We are definitely leaving town and it will be stored outside.
No one will be available to start it.
Old February 7th 05, 12:46 AM
Hairy

"Bill Jeffrey" > wrote in message
> Battery maintainer? Better idea - simply disconnect one battery cable.
>
> I routinely store my 98 Ford Ranger for 6 months at a time in my gararge
> in Maine. Still has the OEM battery. Among other steps, I disconnect
> one of the battery cables as part of the routine. By doing so, I
> disconnect all the phantom loads, such as the radio preset memory and
> the engine computer - which are what discharges the battery. When I
> return in six months, I simply reconnect that battery, and it starts
> right up. I haven't yet had to boost it.
>
> By contrast, a cheap battery maintainer can overcharge the battery -
> which is not a good thing.
>
> Bill Jeffrey

A battery maintainer won't overcharge a battery. It will only maintain a
battery at the state of charge present when hooked up. Hence the name.
Since the vehicle will be stored outdoors, unhooking or removing the battery
would probably be best.