Mazda 2 - Increasing coolant strength

Old January 19th 13, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Emrys Davies

Default Mazda 2 - Increasing coolant strength

The manual of this car suggests that you go to your dealer re- this subject,
but I only need to increase the coolant strength from its -17°c to cater for
expected -18°c and basic instructions would be appreciated. The car is
fairly new and I know how the radiator drains excess moisture into the
reservoir and then draws upon the latter as needs be. I also know how to
drain the reservoir and is this where I need help. Is there another 'plug'
which drains the radiator or should I simply add stronger antifreeze to the
drained reservoir so that the latter can circulate through the system?

Old January 20th 13, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 1/19/2013 5:54 PM, Emrys Davies wrote:
> The manual of this car suggests that you go to your dealer re- this
> subject, but I only need to increase the coolant strength from its -17°c
> to cater for expected -18°c and basic instructions would be
> appreciated. The car is fairly new and I know how the radiator drains
> excess moisture into the reservoir and then draws upon the latter as
> needs be. I also know how to drain the reservoir and is this where I
> need help. Is there another 'plug' which drains the radiator or should
> I simply add stronger antifreeze to the drained reservoir so that the
> latter can circulate through the system?

Step one is to find out what compatible coolant to use, and get your
hands on it. If the radiator has a top cap that you can open, use it
and remove some coolant with a NEW battery filler bulb or perhaps a
siphon. Add enough coolant to refill to the top, and replace cap.

At least that's what I'd do with a Miata!

~ -0.4 F is not extremely cold in parts of the US and Canada!

Block heater, Battery Blanket, anyone!

Try changing a fuel pump outside in the snow at this temperature, only
to find out that moisture froze in the pump!
Old January 27th 13, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Emrys Davies" > wrote in message
> The manual of this car suggests that you go to your dealer re- this
> subject, but I only need to increase the coolant strength from its -17°c
> to cater for expected -18°c and basic instructions would be appreciated.
> The car is fairly new and I know how the radiator drains excess moisture
> into the reservoir and then draws upon the latter as needs be. I also
> know how to drain the reservoir and is this where I need help. Is there
> another 'plug' which drains the radiator or should I simply add stronger
> antifreeze to the drained reservoir so that the latter can circulate
> through the system?

How did you arrive at the -17 #? Is that what the manual says it comes set
up as? Or, did you check it with the little (float the plastic balls)
checker?

If the first method was used, I'd recommend checking it with the second
method. It's probably more 'protected' than the specification says.

Just remember that if you add some additional (undiluted) coolant to the
radiator or the overflow bottle, it'll take some time before it mixes with
the rest to give you an accurate reading. If radiator, you'll have to run
the car long enough for the thermostat to open up and start flowing coolant.
Lord only knows how long it might take to change the main fluid ratio by
adding to the overflow bottle. Probably NOT a good method.

Good luck,
cd

Car Cartoons: Airlines Get Innovative in Increasing Profits by Increasing Fees Cartoon.jpg 167375 bytes HEMI-Powered@[email protected] Auto Photos 0 November 24th 08 03:04 PM
2003 Mazda 6 coolant? Pd7704 Mazda 1 August 15th 06 10:09 PM
Differential strength Don Benton Mazda 4 July 21st 05 12:08 PM
Mazda 626 coolant fan polarity reversed? Bichette Technology 4 July 9th 05 08:00 PM
92 Mazda Protege oil in the coolant [email protected] Technology 0 January 11th 05 02:34 PM