Miata's and Valve???

Old July 21st 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

Default Miata's and Valve???

Noticed this morning while having my 2000 MX5 Miata serviced, as I was
glancing though its' scheduled maintenance stuff, it says to have the valve
clearances checked at I think it was 60,000 miles.

Do these vehicles have hydraulic valves or solid lifters??? In other words
do I need to have the valves adjusted periodically??

TIA for any INFO.

Old July 21st 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Ringo" > wrote:

> Do these vehicles have hydraulic valves or solid lifters???

Solid.

> In other words do I need to have the valves adjusted
> periodically??

Yes.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 22nd 11, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Ringo" > wrote:
>
>> Do these vehicles have hydraulic valves or solid lifters???

> Solid.
>
>> In other words do I need to have the valves adjusted
>> periodically??

> Yes.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Dang it, and here I thought that I had gotten away from that BULLCRAP :-).
Well at least I have till 60,000 miles and only at around 36,000, one of
three cars, and only my good weather, head to the beach, vehicle. And being
retired, don't put that many miles on any of the three anymore.

Old July 22nd 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Ringo" > wrote:

> Dang it, and here I thought that I had gotten away from that
> BULLCRAP :-). Well at least I have till 60,000 miles and only at
> around 36,000, one of three cars, and only my good weather, head
> to the beach, vehicle. And being retired, don't put that many
> miles on any of the three anymore.

It's very easy to do as is all Miata mantainence, just open the trunk,
pack it with money and drive to your dealer. You'll get the car back
with an empty trunk and the valves adjusted.

Once I became unable to do any of this myself I was amazed to find how
easy and painless it is to have it done, sure, my wallet screams in
agony but the 2 week of healing after an oil change is no longer and
I'd really rather spend the money than have the hurt.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 22nd 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Ringo" > wrote:
>
>> Dang it, and here I thought that I had gotten away from that
>> BULLCRAP :-). Well at least I have till 60,000 miles and only at
>> around 36,000, one of three cars, and only my good weather, head
>> to the beach, vehicle. And being retired, don't put that many
>> miles on any of the three anymore.

> It's very easy to do as is all Miata mantainence, just open the trunk,
> pack it with money and drive to your dealer. You'll get the car back
> with an empty trunk and the valves adjusted.
>
> Once I became unable to do any of this myself I was amazed to find how
> easy and painless it is to have it done, sure, my wallet screams in
> agony but the 2 week of healing after an oil change is no longer and
> I'd really rather spend the money than have the hurt.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

LOL>>Funny, but true, but now sort of a related question due around the same
60,000 miles. I also noted in the scheduled maintenance list that it says to
change the timing belt at 60K, which I have always been aware of, having
owned several Japanese 4 bangers. BUT there is a couple of footnotes #s 2 &3
that says if initially sold in several states, including mine, California,
to change it at 105,000 instead. My question, in those few states, did Mazda
use a heavier duty type belt??? Because if not and the same belt, that
doesn't make any sense to me.

By the way, my email addy>>I haven't had Webtv service since Feb 2010,
finally giving that up. I just prefer using this now defunct addy, since it
is 100% NON spammable. So all you PC users (Like myself) Please don't hate
on me>>LOL LOL :-)

Old July 22nd 11, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Ringo" > wrote:

> but true, but now sort of a related question due
> around the same 60,000 miles. I also noted in the scheduled
> maintenance list that it says to change the timing belt at 60K,
> which I have always been aware of, having owned several Japanese 4
> bangers. BUT there is a couple of footnotes #s 2 &3 that says if
> initially sold in several states, including mine, California, to
> change it at 105,000 instead. My question, in those few states,
> did Mazda use a heavier duty type belt???

No, California law required Mazda to make that change, it's the same
belt for all. General consensus here seems to be that 100,000 miles is
a safe figure to use.

NOTE: The Miata is a non-interference engine so if the belt breaks you
will NOT damage the engine.

Next note: Change belt AND idler pulleys, cam shaft seals, crank seal
and water pump since you're already in there and almost all of the
labor is already done. It costs more but the peace of mind is worth
it!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 22nd 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Ringo" > wrote:
>
>> but true, but now sort of a related question due
>> around the same 60,000 miles. I also noted in the scheduled
>> maintenance list that it says to change the timing belt at 60K,
>> which I have always been aware of, having owned several Japanese 4
>> bangers. BUT there is a couple of footnotes #s 2 &3 that says if
>> initially sold in several states, including mine, California, to
>> change it at 105,000 instead. My question, in those few states,
>> did Mazda use a heavier duty type belt???

> No, California law required Mazda to make that change, it's the same
> belt for all. General consensus here seems to be that 100,000 miles is
> a safe figure to use.
>
> NOTE: The Miata is a non-interference engine so if the belt breaks you
> will NOT damage the engine.
>
> Next note: Change belt AND idler pulleys, cam shaft seals, crank seal
> and water pump since you're already in there and almost all of the
> labor is already done. It costs more but the peace of mind is worth
> it!

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Thanks for that advice. I knew about the water pump, but not all the rest. I
am C&P'g that to myself in an email, for future reference. But even though
it is a non-interference engine, I will play it safe when the time comes and
do it right at or near 60K. It would be just my luck to crap out on the way
to or returning from Pismo Beach a 4.5 hr. drive. At my amount of Miata
driving, mileage collecting, I'm safe for around another 10 yrs>>LOL.

Old July 22nd 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Ringo" > wrote:

> But even though it is a non-interference engine, I will
> play it safe when the time comes and do it right at or near 60K.

Too often won't hurt anything and unless you drive much more than most,
it won't cost enough extra to worry about.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 23rd 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 7/22/2011 2:22 PM, Ringo wrote:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>> "Ringo" > wrote:
>>
>>> but true, but now sort of a related question due
>>> around the same 60,000 miles. I also noted in the scheduled
>>> maintenance list that it says to change the timing belt at 60K,
>>> which I have always been aware of, having owned several Japanese 4
>>> bangers. BUT there is a couple of footnotes #s 2 &3 that says if
>>> initially sold in several states, including mine, California, to
>>> change it at 105,000 instead. My question, in those few states,
>>> did Mazda use a heavier duty type belt???

>> No, California law required Mazda to make that change, it's the same
>> belt for all. General consensus here seems to be that 100,000 miles is
>> a safe figure to use.
>>
>> NOTE: The Miata is a non-interference engine so if the belt breaks you
>> will NOT damage the engine.
>>
>> Next note: Change belt AND idler pulleys, cam shaft seals, crank seal
>> and water pump since you're already in there and almost all of the
>> labor is already done. It costs more but the peace of mind is worth
>> it!
>>

>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project:
>> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

> Thanks for that advice. I knew about the water pump, but not all the
> rest. I am C&P'g that to myself in an email, for future reference. But
> even though it is a non-interference engine, I will play it safe when
> the time comes and do it right at or near 60K. It would be just my luck
> to crap out on the way to or returning from Pismo Beach a 4.5 hr. drive.
> At my amount of Miata driving, mileage collecting, I'm safe for around
> another 10 yrs>>LOL.

i think you are safe with holding off on the timing belt. this has been
discussed at length and you can search the web or miata.net to find any
number of discussions on the topic. for example i picked up my 95 miata
in 2005 with 105k on it from someone that had it since 30k and who never
replaced the timing belt. it was confirmed with the dealer maintenance
history that it had never been done. of course i had it done right away
but i would not of done it at 60k. probably 90k would have fit my
conform level. worse case I would have been looking at a little
inconvenience and tow should it go out prematurely, but i don't think
anyone ever reported the original belt snapping on them under 100k. but
with your car now 11 years old i would be looking at replacing the
complete set of hoses on the engine (including the often overlooked
small houses) as preventative maintenance as a much higher priority.
overheating can cause inconvenience as well as serious damage to the
engine, a snapped timing belt only causes inconvenience.
just my 2¢.
Old July 23rd 11, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in message
t...
> On 7/22/2011 2:22 PM, Ringo wrote:

>>> No, California law required Mazda to make that change, it's the same
>>> belt for all. General consensus here seems to be that 100,000 miles is
>>> a safe figure to use.
>>>
>>> NOTE: The Miata is a non-interference engine so if the belt breaks you
>>> will NOT damage the engine.
>>>
>>> Next note: Change belt AND idler pulleys, cam shaft seals, crank seal
>>> and water pump since you're already in there and almost all of the
>>> labor is already done. It costs more but the peace of mind is worth
>>> it!
>>>

>>> --
>>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement Project:
>>> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

>> Thanks for that advice. I knew about the water pump, but not all the
>> rest. I am C&P'g that to myself in an email, for future reference. But
>> even though it is a non-interference engine, I will play it safe when
>> the time comes and do it right at or near 60K. It would be just my luck
>> to crap out on the way to or returning from Pismo Beach a 4.5 hr. drive.
>> At my amount of Miata driving, mileage collecting, I'm safe for around
>> another 10 yrs>>LOL.

> i think you are safe with holding off on the timing belt. this has been
> discussed at length and you can search the web or miata.net to find any
> number of discussions on the topic. for example i picked up my 95 miata
> in 2005 with 105k on it from someone that had it since 30k and who never
> replaced the timing belt. it was confirmed with the dealer maintenance
> history that it had never been done. of course i had it done right away
> but i would not of done it at 60k. probably 90k would have fit my conform
> level. worse case I would have been looking at a little inconvenience and
> tow should it go out prematurely, but i don't think anyone ever reported
> the original belt snapping on them under 100k. but with your car now 11
> years old i would be looking at replacing the complete set of hoses on the
> engine (including the often overlooked small houses) as preventative
> maintenance as a much higher priority. overheating can cause inconvenience
> as well as serious damage to the engine, a snapped timing belt only causes
> inconvenience.
> just my 2¢.

Yes 11 yrs old, but only 36, 700 miles on it, and well maintained. Oil
changed every year whether it has gone 3,000 miles or not. Only made about
1,600 this last year. Always had the coolant changed/flushed. Just had that
done on Thursday, the complete flush with the extended 5 yr/100,000 mile
coolant. Hoses are like new. Car is ALWAYS garaged when home, not on a trip,
say to the beach. I am told with todays hoses (Rubber/material used) not to
worry about the period of time. Could go well over 100,000 miles