Weird AC problem.

Old July 1st 11, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

Default Weird AC problem.

On 6/30/2011 1:04 PM, XS11E wrote:
> > wrote:

>> An off the wall guess is that there is a bit of crud floating
>> around, and plugging the orifice. When the compressor shuts off,
>> the internal pressures start to equalize, and may be causing the
>> crud to move out of the way.

> That's a possibility...
>
>> The next question is when was the dryer changed?

> Not since I got the car, probably never.
>
>> With the old freon, anything you do is gonna be expensive.
>> (Salvage, filter, reuse, etc. requires equipment that was not
>> cheap!)

> Fix is easy, evac system, remove receiver/drier and scrap, remove
> compressor and drain oil, replace with R134a oil, replace
> compressor, install new receiver/drier, evac and recharge with
> R134a. Not all that expensive, even if a new/rebuilt compressor is
> needed, I'v done it with no problems and found the cooling was not
> reduced at all in spite of reading many comments to the contrary.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to do that nor do I wish to pay
> the cost of having it done. The AC is very likely to remain
> non-functional.

The reason I asked about the drier is that sometimes old ones become
saturated? and little pieces get into an A/C system. The same is true of
rubber "O" rings, and metallic particles that get past the filter.

I had one system on a Mazda van that failed (compressor). The amount of
crud from the compressor was high, and looked like a gray paste. It was
all over. We had to flush out everything. At least the mileage was over
200k miles.
Old July 2nd 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 7/1/2011 3:27 PM, charlie wrote:
> On 6/30/2011 1:04 PM, XS11E wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> An off the wall guess is that there is a bit of crud floating
>>> around, and plugging the orifice. When the compressor shuts off,
>>> the internal pressures start to equalize, and may be causing the
>>> crud to move out of the way.

>> That's a possibility...
>>
>>> The next question is when was the dryer changed?

>> Not since I got the car, probably never.
>>
>>> With the old freon, anything you do is gonna be expensive.
>>> (Salvage, filter, reuse, etc. requires equipment that was not
>>> cheap!)

>> Fix is easy, evac system, remove receiver/drier and scrap, remove
>> compressor and drain oil, replace with R134a oil, replace
>> compressor, install new receiver/drier, evac and recharge with
>> R134a. Not all that expensive, even if a new/rebuilt compressor is
>> needed, I'v done it with no problems and found the cooling was not
>> reduced at all in spite of reading many comments to the contrary.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to do that nor do I wish to pay
>> the cost of having it done. The AC is very likely to remain
>> non-functional.
>>

> The reason I asked about the drier is that sometimes old ones become
> saturated? and little pieces get into an A/C system. The same is true of
> rubber "O" rings, and metallic particles that get past the filter.
>
> I had one system on a Mazda van that failed (compressor). The amount of
> crud from the compressor was high, and looked like a gray paste. It was
> all over. We had to flush out everything. At least the mileage was over
> 200k miles.

The hardest part is the dis-assembly to get to and R&R the compressor.
I really miss the old GM scheme with the compressor on the top front
passenger side of the engine.
Old July 2nd 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

charlie > wrote:

> The hardest part is the dis-assembly to get to and R&R the
> compressor.

Not hard at all for me, I just fill the trunk with money and take it
to Mike's Place, they R&R the compressor, empty the trunk and it's
done!

> I really miss the old GM scheme with the compressor on the top
> front passenger side of the engine.

That doesn't always help, had to R&R the compressor on a Jeep Cherokee,
they had a mounting screw that ran through the compressor to the mount.
So far, so good. They used a thread that must have been 1,000,000
threads/inch, I cranked on that for 30 minutes to get it 1/4" out!
Gave up, dragged the compressor around to the carport and used the air
rachet to finish it.

I really miss the old York compressors that were easily rebuilt.
Google shows parts are still available!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 5th 11, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:20:00 -0700, XS11E >
wrote:
Could be the expansion valve is going bad. Can seem to be fine in the
shop and then do what you stated on the raod. But really need the
gauges to see what each side is doing.

Old July 6th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Mac > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:20:00 -0700, XS11E >
> wrote:
> Could be the expansion valve is going bad. Can seem to be fine in
> the shop and then do what you stated on the raod. But really need
> the gauges to see what each side is doing.

Doubt that'll work. If I take in in and they shut it off, it'll work
fine when they turn it back on and driving with the gauges hooked up is
probably not going to happen.

Last night it died on the freeway and never came back on, when I went
home it died again on the freeway and started blowing cold air as I
went down the exit ramp. I'm pretty lost as to possible causes...

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 6th 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 7/5/2011 8:35 PM, XS11E wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:20:00 -0700, >
>> wrote:
>> Could be the expansion valve is going bad. Can seem to be fine in
>> the shop and then do what you stated on the raod. But really need
>> the gauges to see what each side is doing.

> Doubt that'll work. If I take in in and they shut it off, it'll work
> fine when they turn it back on and driving with the gauges hooked up is
> probably not going to happen.
>
> Last night it died on the freeway and never came back on, when I went
> home it died again on the freeway and started blowing cold air as I
> went down the exit ramp. I'm pretty lost as to possible causes...

Was there a bump or two as you exited?
Old July 6th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

charlie > wrote:

> On 7/5/2011 8:35 PM, XS11E wrote:
>> Last night it died on the freeway and never came back on, when I
>> went home it died again on the freeway and started blowing cold
>> air as I went down the exit ramp. I'm pretty lost as to possible
>> causes...
>>

> Was there a bump or two as you exited?

No, I thought of that! It was smooth and I didn't even feel the
compressor kick in when it started blowing cold.

I'm fairly sure the compressor stays on when it fails but I'm not
positive.

BTW, the suggestions of some floating crud blocking an orfice....
woudn't that raise pressure causing the compressor to turn off? I
really need to catch it failing to see if the compressor is running but
it's too damn hot to get out and look and much too hot to try to raise
the hood w/o a pair of oven mitts!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 9th 11, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 7/6/2011 4:34 PM, XS11E wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/5/2011 8:35 PM, XS11E wrote:
>>> Last night it died on the freeway and never came back on, when I
>>> went home it died again on the freeway and started blowing cold
>>> air as I went down the exit ramp. I'm pretty lost as to possible
>>> causes...
>>>

>> Was there a bump or two as you exited?

> No, I thought of that! It was smooth and I didn't even feel the
> compressor kick in when it started blowing cold.
>
> I'm fairly sure the compressor stays on when it fails but I'm not
> positive.
>
> BTW, the suggestions of some floating crud blocking an orfice....
> woudn't that raise pressure causing the compressor to turn off? I
> really need to catch it failing to see if the compressor is running but
> it's too damn hot to get out and look and much too hot to try to raise
> the hood w/o a pair of oven mitts!

Looks like you need to throw a pair of insulated gloves in the car, and
maybe a flashlight.
The A/C clutch coil (Now that I think about it) can fail intermittently.
I've seen this exactly once in several decades of working on cars.

Old July 9th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

charlie > wrote:

> Looks like you need to throw a pair of insulated gloves in the
> car, and maybe a flashlight.
> The A/C clutch coil (Now that I think about it) can fail
> intermittently. I've seen this exactly once in several decades of
> working on cars.

It's now become very easy to diagnose, it doesn't work at all, ever!

It's going to Mike's Place on Monday, first opening they had.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 11th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Fixxed! Was: Weird AC problem.

Since none suggested the cooling fan the $1,000,000.00 prize for the
correct guess remains unclaimed!

New fan and a shot of refrigerant and it's blowing freezing cold while
running the freeways at x mph (you guys know I'd never speed, right?)

Apparently the dead fan also blocks air flow through the condenser by
failing to turn, otherwise it might have worked at freeway speeds???

The Usenet Improvement Project:

weird problem--------at least to me wicked Dodge 3 June 15th 07 12:25 AM
weird problem Ron Seiden Dodge 3 February 28th 07 05:15 AM
Weird VUE problem Bryan Saturn 2 August 4th 05 02:22 PM
Weird A/C problem toller Dodge 6 July 17th 05 08:22 PM
Weird Statup Problem Michael VW water cooled 4 January 30th 05 05:36 PM