What's your longest one day Miata drive?

Old October 2nd 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default What's your longest one day Miata drive?

"Stuart H." > wrote in message

> How about our 500 mile Marathon in a normally aspirated '90, towing a
> Combi-Camp trailer loaded with camping gear, in convoy with friends in a
> van loaded with kids and their tent trailer?
> From Clanwilliam Manitoba to Custer South Dakota in 1994.
> When we crossed the border near Antler ND, the fellow on duty said, "Are
> you towing that with THAT?" When he asked what I had for an engine, he
> couldn't believe it. "Go on through, and good luck to you" were his
> farewell words.
>
> Stuart H.
> '91 Eunos Roadster

LOL, He had no idea did he! That sounds like a wild trip! How much did the
combi trailer weigh?
Did it follow and stop pretty well? And I wonder how your clutch liked it
;-)

Good work!
cd
99BBB

Old October 2nd 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message

> About 100 miles round-trip for me is the most I have done without planning
> a route. I'm boring and fairly predictable.
>
> This weather has been most excellent!
>
> Pat

Come on now, that weak! You've surely taken some 'drives' in that hotrod! I
didn't say they had to be unplanned! What's your longest 1 day Miata
journey?

cd
99BBB

Old October 2nd 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 10/1/2010 8:48 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "pws" > wrote in message
>>
>> About 100 miles round-trip for me is the most I have done without
>> planning a route. I'm boring and fairly predictable.
>>
>> This weather has been most excellent!
>>
>> Pat
>>

> Come on now, that weak! You've surely taken some 'drives' in that
> hotrod! I didn't say they had to be unplanned! What's your longest 1 day
> Miata journey?
>
> cd
> 99BBB

Oh, planned or unplanned, I misunderstood.

My longest journey in one day, in any vehicle, was from Fayetteville, NC
to Houston, TX, non-stop except for gas and for leg stretches.

Something like 19 or 20 hours. I would have made it to Austin but the
fog in Houston forced me to stop and sleep, in the Miata, for a few hours.
Between fatigue and severely limited vision, I would have never made it
home that morning. Never again.

That was in the '96M. The '91 turbo is not ideal for long trips even
under the best conditions.

Pat

Old October 2nd 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

> What's your longest 1 day
> Miata journey?

It was the first day of a 2-week vacation, St. Louis to Sierra Vista,
AZ: 1500 miles in 25 hours, straight through with stops only for gas and
food. My wife drove about 1/3 of the miles.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 2nd 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_3_]

On 2010-10-01 7:46 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Stuart H." > wrote in message
>>
>> How about our 500 mile Marathon in a normally aspirated '90, towing a
>> Combi-Camp trailer loaded with camping gear, in convoy with friends in
>> a van loaded with kids and their tent trailer?
>> From Clanwilliam Manitoba to Custer South Dakota in 1994.
>> When we crossed the border near Antler ND, the fellow on duty said,
>> "Are you towing that with THAT?" When he asked what I had for an
>> engine, he couldn't believe it. "Go on through, and good luck to you"
>> were his farewell words.
>>
>> Stuart H.
>> '91 Eunos Roadster

> LOL, He had no idea did he! That sounds like a wild trip! How much did
> the combi trailer weigh?
> Did it follow and stop pretty well? And I wonder how your clutch liked
> it ;-)
>
> Good work!
> cd
> 99BBB

Maximum GVW was around 900 lbs. I reckon we were around 600 lbs.
loaded. It was a queen bed size combi. Surprisingly clutch and brakes
held up well, it wasn't until I turbocharged the Miata that I had to
replace the clutch.
Stopping distances were a different story, especially downhill in the
Black Hills.
Looked a little strange with fender mounted towing mirrors, but the
trailer was slightly wider than the car.

SH
Former '90 Red (Tabasco)
Former '91 Silver (Silverwind)
Current '91 Eunos BRG (Wasabi)
Old October 3rd 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>> What's your longest 1 day
>> Miata journey?

> It was the first day of a 2-week vacation, St. Louis to Sierra Vista,
> AZ: 1500 miles in 25 hours, straight through with stops only for gas and
> food. My wife drove about 1/3 of the miles.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

I knew you'd have a few marathons up your sleeve. I've driven both to and
from Phoenix straight thru (cat nap in the car on the side of the road once
each way) but I sure didn't consider that a 'Miata drive'. You know what I
mean. I don't think I'll ever do that again. The 750 mile stint I did was
purely a pleasure drive designed and undertaken to enjoy curvy (and hilly)
roads. Problem here in Houston is, to get any substantial quantity and
really good quality roads like that require covering a hundred miles or so
of flatlands ;-).

What's your longest 'pleasure drive' Lanny?

Chris
99BBB

Old October 3rd 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> What's your longest 'pleasure drive' Lanny?

Hey, that 1500 miles to Sierra Vista included all the tasty bits of
US191!

But I know what you mean. NOT the trip to drive all 14 Continental
Divide passes in Colorado, but more-or-less spontaneous loops from home
on a Sunday. Nothing impressive; they never run over 200 miles without
going overnight.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 3rd 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 10/3/2010 12:11 AM, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In >,
> "Chris > wrote:
>
>> What's your longest 'pleasure drive' Lanny?

> Hey, that 1500 miles to Sierra Vista included all the tasty bits of
> US191!
>
> But I know what you mean. NOT the trip to drive all 14 Continental
> Divide passes in Colorado, but more-or-less spontaneous loops from home
> on a Sunday. Nothing impressive; they never run over 200 miles without
> going overnight.

That is what I thought Chris was talking about, spontaneous trips.

There is probably someone around who has done 24 hours straight in their
Miata. I would have made about 21 hours but for getting stopped because
of poor visibility.
Wasn't trying to set a personal record, I was just in a hurry to get
home, and by the time I hit Louisiana, I wanted to keep going west.

For spontaneous trips, like Lanny, probably 200 miles maximum, but for
me, probably closer to 100 miles, maybe 150.

Pat

Old October 4th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> What's your longest 'pleasure drive' Lanny?

> Hey, that 1500 miles to Sierra Vista included all the tasty bits of
> US191!
>
> But I know what you mean. NOT the trip to drive all 14 Continental
> Divide passes in Colorado, but more-or-less spontaneous loops from home
> on a Sunday. Nothing impressive; they never run over 200 miles without
> going overnight.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

That sounds like it qualifies to me! You're talking scenic and curvy and so
on! I was trying to exclude straight interstate stuff, simply getting from
point A to point B. That sounds pretty darn bad-a_s actually.

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old October 4th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> That sounds pretty darn bad-a_s actually.

Some of the passes were so good, we had to turn around and do them
again. The Divide trip was best thing I ever did with a Miata, even
better than a track day.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/374151/2

--
Lanny Chambers