Barn Find Bites Back

Old July 4th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

Default Barn Find Bites Back

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/au...pagewanted=all

> "So I pulled it out of there for 50 bucks. It wasn’t running but I got it running right away.
>
>“It was a big mistake,” he continued. “When I first started working on it, I would get ticks.
> I had to actually fumigate the car.”

(Now I'm trying to remember the 70s buddy comedy set amid a
fairgrounds level of dirt-track racing and demo derby, in which one
character exclaims, "I always wanted to wreck a '50 Studie.")

Though getting *ticks* is pretty extreme, I think that in general
principles we can all relate... I've had wiring catch fire (just a
smolder; it went out by itself), had a friend follow behind (but not
too close behind) in case one of the literally worm eaten tires gave
way... so what have you guys been through on the first drive of a
just-purchased resto candidate?

--Joe

Old July 5th 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
SeaWoe

On Jul 4, 3:52*pm, Ad absurdum per aspera > wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/au...les/05EGO.html...
>
> > "So I pulled it out of there for 50 bucks. It wasn’t running but I got it running right away.

> >“It was a big mistake,” he continued. “When I first started working on it, I would get ticks.
> > I had to actually fumigate the car.”

> (Now I'm trying to remember the 70s buddy comedy set amid a
> fairgrounds level of dirt-track racing and demo derby, in which one
> character exclaims, "I always wanted to wreck a '50 Studie.")
>
> Though getting *ticks* is pretty extreme, I think that in general
> principles we can all relate... I've had wiring catch fire (just a
> smolder; it went out by itself), had a friend follow behind (but not
> too close behind) in case one of the literally worm eaten tires gave
> way... so what have you guys been through on *the first drive of a
> just-purchased resto candidate?
>
> --Joe

Point of interest.

The "Tucker" that is wreched in the movie of the same name started out
as a Bullet-nosed" Studebaker.
You can see the driveshaft, which the Tucker, obviously, didn't have,
as the underside is exposed during the roll.
Old July 7th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
fred

Ad absurdum per aspera > wrote in
:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/au...05EGO.html?8dp
> c=&_r=1&pagewanted=all
>
>> "So I pulled it out of there for 50 bucks. It wasn’t running but I got

> it running right away.
>>
>>“It was a big mistake,” he continued. “When I first started working

> on it, I would get ticks.
>> I had to actually fumigate the car.”

> (Now I'm trying to remember the 70s buddy comedy set amid a
> fairgrounds level of dirt-track racing and demo derby, in which one
> character exclaims, "I always wanted to wreck a '50 Studie.")
>
> Though getting *ticks* is pretty extreme, I think that in general
> principles we can all relate... I've had wiring catch fire (just a
> smolder; it went out by itself), had a friend follow behind (but not
> too close behind) in case one of the literally worm eaten tires gave
> way... so what have you guys been through on the first drive of a
> just-purchased resto candidate?

Not exactly what you're asking, but anyone walking through a field
(particularly in the US midwest) can pick up deer ticks *real* easy. I got
the shock of my life one time as I was sitting in a restaurant in Grand
Rapids and noticed one on the back of my hand. Put me completely off
eating. I walked about 1/4 mile through a field with long grass to the
restaurant.

Web Finds[002/252] - 1916 Ford Model T Pickup Texas barn find=Web Finds=.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Auto Photos 0 May 2nd 08 07:19 AM
My first barn 'find' JRnNC Ford Mustang 1 July 6th 07 01:17 AM
Barn find... No Name Saturn 2 June 30th 07 12:10 AM
Barn find(s) Frank ess Auto Photos 4 February 20th 07 09:33 PM
Help me get it running. 15 year old barn find [email protected] VW air cooled 11 August 15th 06 11:14 PM