Power Antenna?

Old May 17th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Power Antenna?

Looks like I broke the antenna on my 1992 Miata, motor runs, antenna
doesn't go up or down.

I went to my local dealer's website and it appears that Mazda no longer
sells the replacement mast, only the entire power antenna assembly, is
that correct?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...etLocator&site
id=213989&chapter=AMH693&appSectionid=3&groupid=10 005&subgroupid=20006&
componentid=60061&make=22&model=Miata&year=1992&ca talogid=1

Or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3byk4l

Old May 17th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

XS11E wrote:
> Looks like I broke the antenna on my 1992 Miata, motor runs, antenna
> doesn't go up or down.
>
> I went to my local dealer's website and it appears that Mazda no longer
> sells the replacement mast, only the entire power antenna assembly, is
> that correct?
>
> http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...etLocator&site
> id=213989&chapter=AMH693&appSectionid=3&groupid=10 005&subgroupid=20006&
> componentid=60061&make=22&model=Miata&year=1992&ca talogid=1
>
> Or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3byk4l

You can certainly still get the mast (and toothed belt, which is what
strips) here in the UK, so probably still in the US:

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id/127

If you're pushed, mx5parts will deliver to the US, but given the current
2 USD/GBP exchange rate, it's going to be very expensive.
Old May 17th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Zog The Undeniable > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> Looks like I broke the antenna on my 1992 Miata, motor runs,
>> antenna doesn't go up or down.
>>
>> I went to my local dealer's website and it appears that Mazda no
>> longer sells the replacement mast, only the entire power antenna
>> assembly, is that correct?

> You can certainly still get the mast (and toothed belt, which is
> what strips) here in the UK, so probably still in the US:

I found it here for $30:
http://www.mmmiata.com/catalogsite/audio01.php

and he

http://www.gomiata.com/mazpowanmas.html

Cheapest:

http://www.miatastore.com/product_in...products_id/40

Google turned up several hits, I'll keep checking but it looks like
here in the US it's no longer a dealer item which means I'll probably
save money but I won't be able to pick it up, I'll have to mail order
it.

Old May 17th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

XS11E > wrote:

> Looks like I broke the antenna on my 1992 Miata, motor runs,
> antenna doesn't go up or down.
>
> I went to my local dealer's website and it appears that Mazda no
> longer sells the replacement mast, only the entire power antenna
> assembly, is that correct?

Sometimes websites don't tell the whole story, I called the local
dealer, they have it in stock and it's a bit cheaper than the online
places at $25.

Looks like I've got a couple of hours planned for Saturday.....

Old May 18th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
W. Kiernan

XS11E wrote:

> Looks like I've got a couple of hours planned for Saturday.....

When I got a used '93 I broke the power antenna mast first thing.
Trying to replace it by myself for an hour or so with absolutely no
success taught me that you are probably going to need someone to sit in
the driver's seat and turn the radio on and off so you can thread that
toothed plastic doodad into the antenna motor. Once I got my kid to
help me I finally got it installed and fastened down in less than ten
minutes.

Yours WDK -
Old May 18th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"W. Kiernan" > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
> >
> > Looks like I've got a couple of hours planned for Saturday.....
> >

> When I got a used '93 I broke the power antenna mast first thing.
> Trying to replace it by myself for an hour or so with absolutely
> no success taught me that you are probably going to need someone
> to sit in the driver's seat and turn the radio on and off so you
> can thread that toothed plastic doodad into the antenna motor.
> Once I got my kid to help me I finally got it installed and
> fastened down in less than ten minutes.

Went through the same thing with another almost identical antenna, I
hope I recall how I did it alone. I think I can switch the radio on
and off from the back by running a switch in place of the antenna fuse
or with the top down I think I can reach the antenna and the radio, it
helps to have long arms.. We'll see. look for results or no results
Saturday! ;-)

Old May 18th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>"W. Kiernan" > wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:
>> >
>> > Looks like I've got a couple of hours planned for Saturday.....
>> >

>> When I got a used '93 I broke the power antenna mast first thing.
>> Trying to replace it by myself for an hour or so with absolutely
>> no success taught me that you are probably going to need someone
>> to sit in the driver's seat and turn the radio on and off so you
>> can thread that toothed plastic doodad into the antenna motor.
>> Once I got my kid to help me I finally got it installed and
>> fastened down in less than ten minutes.

>Went through the same thing with another almost identical antenna, I
>hope I recall how I did it alone. I think I can switch the radio on
>and off from the back by running a switch in place of the antenna fuse
>or with the top down I think I can reach the antenna and the radio, it
>helps to have long arms.. We'll see. look for results or no results
>Saturday! ;-)

The fuse is in the trunk right next to the battery. By pulling and
reinserting with the radio in given state, you can lower or raise the
antenna. A long stick to reach the radio knob may save some walking
around the car.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old May 19th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

XS11E > wrote:

> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Looks like I broke the antenna on my 1992 Miata, motor runs, antenna
>> doesn't go up or down.
>>
>> I went to my local dealer's website and it appears that Mazda no
>> longer sells the replacement mast, only the entire power antenna
>> assembly, is that correct?

> Sometimes websites don't tell the whole story, I called the local
> dealer, they have it in stock and it's a bit cheaper than the online
> places at $25.
>
> Looks like I've got a couple of hours planned for Saturday.....

Ooops, seriously misjudged the time, more like 45 minutes.

Grabbed snap ring pliers and removed the outer cap, pulled out broken
antenna mast, opened trunk and moved spare tire to left side of trunk,
grabbed 10mm wrench and removed locating bolt in trunk, unplugged
antenna cable and power connector.

Took antenna assembly inside, opened it up with Phillips screwdriver to
remove mounting bracket and pliers to take off center nut, removed
broken piece and put assembly back together.

Put assembly back into Miata, put in mounting screw finger tight,
turned on ignition and radio, extended my collapsable cane to it's full
length (top was already down) and started end of new mast into the
assembly. Used cane to reach off button, oooops... didn't catch
antenna! Turned radio back on, wiggled end of new mast, turned radio
off again, caught it, antenna went down.

Installed top cap, tightened mounting screw, ran antenna up and down a
couple of times, put spare tire back, gathered up 10mm wrench and snap
ring pliers, closed trunk, put tonneau cover back on car, put tools
away, washed hands, typed this message.

Done.

Out of respect for my back, I was able to do most of the above while
sitting on a roll around stool.

Not a difficult job at all and the cane allowed me to work the on/off
button remotely, no second person needed.

Oh, FWIW, I've installed the AM/FM Cassette 6 CD changer radio from a
late model Protege or whatever so the on/off button is MUCH larger and
easier to get to than the original AM/FM tape radio, I'm not sure that
smaller button would have been as easy to work with the large, clumsy
rubber cap on the end of the cane, might have had to use a broom handle
or some such?

96 Explorer Power Antenna Vito Ford Explorer 1 November 28th 06 03:05 AM
Power antenna NH Vette guy Corvette 3 December 31st 05 02:06 AM
Power antenna NH Vette guy Corvette 0 December 29th 05 03:29 AM
Power antenna C4 '95 Charles Corvette 5 March 30th 05 03:23 AM
Power Antenna George Honda 0 January 28th 05 10:40 AM