The New R8

Old February 25th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default The New R8

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/fu...&usage=Im age

Overview
Audi ventures into uncharted territory with the all-new R8. The first
look at this car came three years ago in the form of a concept called
the LeMans Quattro Concept. The production car has not changed much
from the original.
When it launches later this year, the R8 will boast a powerful 420-
horsepower V8 engine positioned behind the passenger compartment.There
is rumor that the 500-horsepower V10 from the Lamborghini Gallardo
will be available in the R8 sometime in the future, but at this time
it is still only a rumor.

The R8 is built on the aluminum Audi Space Frame, designed to be both
lightweight and very rigid, ideal qualities for a high-performance
sports car.

The powerful V8 combined with the lightweight chassis give the R8 a
reported 0 to 62 mph time of just 4.6 seconds with a top speed of 190
mph.

Of course, being an Audi, all that power is distributed evenly to the
road through all-four wheels via the legendary quattro all-wheel-drive
system.

Unlike many supercars, the R8 was designed for everyday use, with
comfortable seats and plentiful cargo space. Not only can luggage be
stored under the front hood, there is space for as many as two golf
bags behind the seats.

Deliveries of the R8 will begin in the fall of 2007.

Old February 25th 07, 02:26 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/fu...&usage=Im age
>
> Overview
> Audi ventures into uncharted territory with the all-new R8. The first
> look at this car came three years ago in the form of a concept called
> the LeMans Quattro Concept. The production car has not changed much
> from the original.
> When it launches later this year, the R8 will boast a powerful 420-
> horsepower V8 engine positioned behind the passenger compartment.There
> is rumor that the 500-horsepower V10 from the Lamborghini Gallardo
> will be available in the R8 sometime in the future, but at this time
> it is still only a rumor.
>
> The R8 is built on the aluminum Audi Space Frame, designed to be both
> lightweight and very rigid, ideal qualities for a high-performance
> sports car.
>
> The powerful V8 combined with the lightweight chassis give the R8 a
> reported 0 to 62 mph time of just 4.6 seconds with a top speed of 190
> mph.
>
> Of course, being an Audi, all that power is distributed evenly to the
> road through all-four wheels via the legendary quattro all-wheel-drive
> system.
>
> Unlike many supercars, the R8 was designed for everyday use, with
> comfortable seats and plentiful cargo space. Not only can luggage be
> stored under the front hood, there is space for as many as two golf
> bags behind the seats.
>
> Deliveries of the R8 will begin in the fall of 2007.

another one for the Premiership players car parks.............

Old February 26th 07, 10:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave N

In message >, Lez Pawl
> writes
>
> wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]
>> Unlike many supercars, the R8 was designed for everyday use, with
>> comfortable seats and plentiful cargo space. Not only can luggage be
>> stored under the front hood, there is space for as many as two golf
>> bags behind the seats.
>>
>> Deliveries of the R8 will begin in the fall of 2007.
>>

>another one for the Premiership players car parks.............

I think I agree. From a distance it looks a lot like a larger version
of the TT, with a few external details modified. That design is now
starting to look dated, in spite of the facelift.

The R8 really does need to distinguish itself visually from the TT if it
has aspirations to supercar status. A TT with a "big engine" won't hack
it, no matter what it has under the skin. Potential customers won't
want their expensive new car being mistaken by others, no matter how
ignorant, for just another TT. To be a supercar it needs to create an
iconic status, somehow. For example, look at the Bugatti which would be
instantly recognisable!

I predict that the R8 won't sell in worthwhile numbers for Audi. There
will always be a handful of people who will buy something new "because
it's expensive" but that won't make it economic for Audi to produce.

--
Dave N

N.B. Mail to nospam is rejected. Reply-To does work.
Old February 26th 07, 02:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:25:37 +0000, Dave N >
wrote:

>I predict that the R8 won't sell in worthwhile numbers for Audi. There
>will always be a handful of people who will buy something new "because
>it's expensive" but that won't make it economic for Audi to produce.

I don't know what you mean by "worthwhile numbers", but I do know that
this year and next year's production is already sold.

The Other Dave

Old February 26th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave N

In message >, Dave LaCourse
> writes
>On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:25:37 +0000, Dave N >
>wrote:
>
>>I predict that the R8 won't sell in worthwhile numbers for Audi. There
>>will always be a handful of people who will buy something new "because
>>it's expensive" but that won't make it economic for Audi to produce.

>I don't know what you mean by "worthwhile numbers", but I do know that
>this year and next year's production is already sold.
>
>The Other Dave

Just because I predict something, it doesn't mean that I'm right :^)

Old February 26th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:50:00 +0000, Dave N >
wrote:

>In message >, Dave LaCourse
> writes
>>On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:25:37 +0000, Dave N >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I predict that the R8 won't sell in worthwhile numbers for Audi. There
>>>will always be a handful of people who will buy something new "because
>>>it's expensive" but that won't make it economic for Audi to produce.

>>I don't know what you mean by "worthwhile numbers", but I do know that
>>this year and next year's production is already sold.
>>
>>The Other Dave

>Just because I predict something, it doesn't mean that I'm right :^)

That's obvious. d;o)

I had a chance to go to Barcelona, Spain for a day long school of
driving the R8 on Circuit de Catalunya, but waited too long to
register. Just as well, I guess, because I'll need the money to help
pay for one in 09.

The Dreaming Dave

Old February 26th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave N

In message >, Dave LaCourse
> writes
>On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:50:00 +0000, Dave N >
>wrote:
>>Just because I predict something, it doesn't mean that I'm right :^)

>That's obvious. d;o)
>
>I had a chance to go to Barcelona, Spain for a day long school of
>driving the R8 on Circuit de Catalunya, but waited too long to
>register. Just as well, I guess, because I'll need the money to help
>pay for one in 09.
>
>The Dreaming Dave

In which case, ignore me, (!) :}, and look forward to enjoying your new
car. Such cars are now beyond my budget.

Old February 26th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:59:08 +0000, Dave N >
wrote:

>In message >, Dave LaCourse
> writes
>>On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:50:00 +0000, Dave N >
>>wrote:
>>>Just because I predict something, it doesn't mean that I'm right :^)

>>That's obvious. d;o)
>>
>>I had a chance to go to Barcelona, Spain for a day long school of
>>driving the R8 on Circuit de Catalunya, but waited too long to
>>register. Just as well, I guess, because I'll need the money to help
>>pay for one in 09.
>>
>>The Dreaming Dave

>In which case, ignore me, (!) :}, and look forward to enjoying your new
>car. Such cars are now beyond my budget.

The R8 may well be beyond my budget also. Just dreaming, really. Of
course my 23 and 22 year old grandsons are *insisting* that I buy one.

Dave (who will have to settle for his chipped RS6...d;o)

Old February 26th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:59:08 +0000, Dave N >
> wrote:
>
>>In message >, Dave LaCourse
> writes
>>>
>>>That's obvious. d;o)
>>>
>>>I had a chance to go to Barcelona, Spain for a day long school of
>>>driving the R8 on Circuit de Catalunya, but waited too long to
>>>register. Just as well, I guess, because I'll need the money to help
>>>pay for one in 09.
>>>
>>>The Dreaming Dave

>>In which case, ignore me, (!) :}, and look forward to enjoying your new
>>car. Such cars are now beyond my budget.

> The R8 may well be beyond my budget also. Just dreaming, really. Of
> course my 23 and 22 year old grandsons are *insisting* that I buy one.
>
> Dave (who will have to settle for his chipped RS6...d;o)

sell the house and tell them their inheritance is now an
R8............between them.

Old February 26th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:24:32 -0000, "Lez Pawl"
> wrote:

>"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:59:08 +0000, Dave N >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>In message >, Dave LaCourse
> writes

>>>In which case, ignore me, (!) :}, and look forward to enjoying your new
>>>car. Such cars are now beyond my budget.

>> The R8 may well be beyond my budget also. Just dreaming, really. Of
>> course my 23 and 22 year old grandsons are *insisting* that I buy one.
>>
>> Dave (who will have to settle for his chipped RS6...d;o)
>>

>sell the house and tell them their inheritance is now an
>R8............between them.

I could do that. Maybe buy five R8s. But I would never be able to
drive them. By the time the Chief of Naval Ops (aka wife) got through
with me, I wouldn't be able to walk, much less drive.

d;o(