Hoe reliable are Audi's?

Old February 24th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Hoe reliable are Audi's?

Hi,

I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
how reliabl the car would be? Are Audi's usually expensive to
maintain?

Thanks,

Matt.

Old February 24th 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Feb 23, 5:57 pm, "
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
> how reliabl the car would be?

More reliable than your spelling, less reliable than a Civic.

> Are Audi's usually expensive to
> maintain?

Yes, especially for those folks who get it serviced at a dealer, or
who ignores scheduled maintenance. Otherwise, no more so than any
other German luxury car.

E.P.

1995 UrS6

Old February 24th 07, 06:26 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
> how reliabl the car would be? Are Audi's usually expensive to
> maintain?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt.

reliability..........much the same as any other make.

expensive to maintain.............depends a) what needs doing and b) who
does it.

get the car checked over by an Audi 'expert' before purchase and ask
demanding questions.....make sure cam belt has been replaced as this is
probably the most expensive service at that year.

dj
1997 2.4 V6, 76k miles.

Old February 25th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Peter[_10_]

On 23 Feb 2007 17:57:24 -0800, "
> wrote:

>I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
>how reliabl the car would be? Are Audi's usually expensive to
>maintain?

I'm finding my '02 A4 to be a little more expensive to maintain than
the Renaults that I used to own, but a *lot* less expensive than my
last car, a '98 BMW 3-Series. So far, it's cost me about GBP 600 a
year for main dealer servicing. In the last two years, it's had two
routine services, a brake fluid change and a set of four (very
expensive!) tyres. That's all. (The BMW worked out at about GBP 1200
a year, and was off the road for one thing and another about three
times a year.)

On balance, the Audi is a better car to own than the BMW.

Peter.
Old February 25th 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Feb 23, 8:57?pm, "
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
> how reliabl the car would be? Are Audi's usually expensive to
> maintain?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt.

The A4 had below average reliability for that model year according to
CR.

Old February 25th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Feb 25, 4:01 am, wrote:
> On Feb 23, 8:57?pm, "
>
> > wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
> > how reliabl the car would be? Are Audi's usually expensive to
> > maintain?

> > Thanks,

> > Matt.

> The A4 had below average reliability for that model year according to
> CR.

Considering CR's methodology for determining reliability, that doesn't
mean a thing.

E.P.

Old February 25th 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
> how reliabl the car would be?

About as reliable as any other European car. Which frankly isn't saying too
much.

Are Audi's usually expensive to
> maintain?

Fairly expensive but you can avoid some problems by selecting a used car
that was well-maintained. I would also suggest that a 2000 A4 typically
should already have had a timing belt service which would include tensioners
and water pump. If it hasn't, or has so many miles that it's due another,
then you're looking at $1000+ expense right off the bat. Check brake pads
and rotors. Rotors on Audis are generally replaced, not machined so
typically you replace pads and rotors. Figure about every 40-60,000 miles.
If it's the 2.8 V6, then it has an updated version of the old British
"external lubrication system" meaning its oil gaskets and seals don't work
very well and the engine is prone to leak oil starting at around 50,000
miles. If it's a 1.8 T, then there may be an issue with sludge buildup
depending on how precisely the maintenance schedule was followed. That can
be a costly fix and Audi will avoid paying for it if there's the slightest
deviation from maintenance schedule. That vintage of A4 also had control arm
problems, another expensive repair but it may already have been done on the
car you're considering. You may want to look in audiworld.com forums for
more problem areas.

Old February 25th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Gman uk

iws wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
>>how reliabl the car would be?

> About as reliable as any other European car. Which frankly isn't saying too
> much.

I suspect therefore you've never owned a European car.
Old February 25th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

"Gman uk" > wrote in message
> iws wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I was planning on getting a used Audi A4 2000 model. I was wondering
> >>how reliabl the car would be?

> > About as reliable as any other European car. Which frankly isn't saying

too
> > much.

> I suspect therefore you've never owned a European car.

Actually, I've owned several including two Audis.

Old February 26th 07, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Feb 25, 3:59 pm, "iws" > wrote:

> > roups.com...

> > > About as reliable as any other European car. Which frankly isn't saying

> too
> > > much.

> > I suspect therefore you've never owned a European car.

> Actually, I've owned several including two Audis.

I've found that well-maintained VWs and Audis are almost as reliable
as their Japanese brethren. The maintenance requirements ARE
heavier.

And VAG cars blow away several other Euro makes for reliability.

E.P.

Is the FIT a reliable car? alfred Honda 4 November 13th 06 06:19 AM
"Ready or not, Audi's Q7 Luxury SUV has arrived" Mike Audi 1 May 29th 06 11:59 AM
Cheap, reliable used Civic? Finding cheap/reliable Civic to last 3 years? [email protected] Honda 38 April 10th 06 12:27 PM
Most reliable SUV Peter 4x4 47 January 1st 06 06:43 PM
"Audi's Sportback blends sportiness and functionality" Mike Audi 0 December 3rd 05 02:12 PM