Baffling Straight-8 Timing Problem

Old September 24th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Default Baffling Straight-8 Timing Problem

wrote:
>Taking a .010" off of the head surface
> would mean the valve adjustment nut might not be tightened to the same
> location on the rocker arm (or whatever) as it was before the surfacing
> was done, but it'll still allow for proper adjustment without causing
> any issues to starting the motor providing the valves are adjusted
> correctly.

Perhaps, but if you take .017" off the surfaces and don't readjust the valves,
the compression will be 0. Even .010" will affect the compression ratio; perhaps
enough to prevent starting the engine.

My point. Readjust the valves after a rebuild.

George Patterson
If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess
to anything.
Old October 4th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> IIRC, the Marmon has a flat head. Valves are in the engine block.

Whoops! You're right, of course.