US stuck in reverse on fuel economy

Old March 7th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default US stuck in reverse on fuel economy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17344368/

Old March 7th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Mar 7, 4:43 am, wrote:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17344368/

I got the latest Consumer Reports yesterday- the annual auto issue. Of
all the cars in there, the only two that got better milage than my 98
Neon were hybrids!

I'd say it is not just the US that is going backwards- the whole
industry is! Not even the small cars from Japan and other Asian
countries are getting the milage they used to.

But then, with a recent poll showing fuel economy is WAY down on the
list of what buyers are looking for in a car, well, what can we
expect. I think fuel economy was seventeenth or eighteenth- below the
number of cup holders :-(

And even CR is pinging cars that take longer than 9 seconds to get to
60 as being underpowered! We has met the enemy and they is US!

My 98 Neon has 115,000 miles on it, and I hope that it lasts a long
time. It gets to sixty in just a tad less than 9 second, but gets
37-38 mpg on the highway and around 32 in town.

Old March 7th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

U.S.fed govt,,,, wearethegovtandweareheretohelpyou!

Like that dear lady friend of mine in Arlington,Texas who retired from
that hospital in Arlington once said to me,,, If govt would only leave
us alone,we would all be better off.

Lynn,me dear,You are soooo Right!
cuhulin

Old March 7th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Don Stauffer in Minnesota" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I'd say it is not just the US that is going backwards- the whole
> industry is! Not even the small cars from Japan and other Asian
> countries are getting the milage they used to.

I have a feeling that cars for the US market are somewhat different from
cars marketed in other countries. What we get here may not be indicative
of what Asian cars are doing other places.

May be wrong, but just a comment.

Old March 7th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

U.S.cars are much different than foreign cars made and sold/used in
foreign countries.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Mar 7, 4:29 pm, wrote:
> U.S.cars are much different than foreign cars made and sold/used in
> foreign countries.
> cuhulin

Still, if mfgs could produce cars with good performance and fuel
economy in the late 90s, why can they not do so today, whether the
designers are in Asia or US? They do indeed seem to be backsliding.
And I doubt if it is government interference. I am not aware of any
new pollution control requirements or other things that would hurt
fuel economy since then.

Old March 8th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Don Stauffer in Minnesota > wrote:

>Still, if mfgs could produce cars with good performance and fuel
>economy in the late 90s, why can they not do so today, whether the
>designers are in Asia or US? They do indeed seem to be backsliding.
>And I doubt if it is government interference. I am not aware of any
>new pollution control requirements or other things that would hurt
>fuel economy since then.

Because the marketplace controls what the manufacturers buy, and people
do not want to buy efficient small cars that are fun to drive, people
want to buy huge overgrown SUVs that handle like the Queen Mary and
consume gasoline by the barrel.

Now, why this is the case is completely beyond me.
--scott

Old March 8th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Because the marketplace controls what the manufacturers buy, and people
> do not want to buy efficient small cars that are fun to drive, people
> want to buy huge overgrown SUVs that handle like the Queen Mary and
> consume gasoline by the barrel.
>
> Now, why this is the case is completely beyond me.

It's mainly because the states pass out drivers' licenses more freely
than they spend tax dollars, and don't prohibit really bad drivers from
buying huge overgrown SUVs that handle like the Queen Mary and squash
efficient small cars that are fun to drive. If you don't want to be
extruded through the front grille of a '78 Cadillac, you either stay
5,000 feet from the nearest drivable roadway or drive something big.

I also find there are extremely few small cars that aren't really hard
on my post-surgical back. A ride in my nephew's beloved Passat was not
unlike sitting on a pillow atop a sheet of 3/4" plywood and having
someone beat on the bottom of the plywood with sledge hammers.

--
Martians drive SUVs! <http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html>
Old March 8th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Back in the 1950's,there were some good size six passenger new and older
American name brands/American manufactured cars on the market which got
at least 30 miles per gallon.Willys made and sold some of them.Look at
the prices per gallon of gasoline now,I recently read that in
California,it is up to about $3.00 per gallon now.Some ''feel good''
people will say,But,adjusted for inflation,,,,,, blah blah blah.

The prices per gallon (in my oinion) of gasoline and diesel fuel are a
RIP OFF.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

> wrote in message
> Back in the 1950's,there were some good size six passenger new and older
> American name brands/American manufactured cars on the market which got
> at least 30 miles per gallon.Willys made and sold some of them.Look at
> the prices per gallon of gasoline now,I recently read that in
> California,it is up to about $3.00 per gallon now.Some ''feel good''
> people will say,But,adjusted for inflation,,,,,, blah blah blah.
>
> The prices per gallon (in my oinion) of gasoline and diesel fuel are a
> RIP OFF.

You don't have to buy it.

96 Ford Explorer was stuck in mud and now no reverse ?? HELP mr19th Ford Explorer 2 July 8th 14 08:18 PM
USA is 'stuck in reverse' on fuel economy [email protected] Technology 3 March 2nd 07 10:44 PM
Fuel economy XS11E Mazda 4 May 27th 06 02:10 PM
Fuel Vaporization and fuel economy cody_e Technology 48 January 28th 06 04:29 PM
E30 316i manual box, stuck in reverse gear JB BMW 3 November 18th 05 07:07 PM