Mazda2?

Old February 19th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Mazda2?

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...8-mazda-2.html

2008 Mazda 2 - Auto Shows
The Geneva debut of Mazda's B-segment fighter has everyone asking:
Will Mazda bring this compact hatch to the U.S.?
BY JARED GALL, February 2007

Mazda recently announced that its Mazda 2 five-door hatchback will
debut at the Geneva motor show in March. Measuring two feet shorter
than the Mazda 3 hatchback, the 2 is even slightly shorter than a
Honda Fit. Like most B-segment cars, the 2 sits tall on a long
wheelbase to provide maximum room for people and gear in minimal
space. The wheels are stretched so far to the corners that the rear
overhang is barely more than the thickness of the bumper.

Although the 2's face retains strong Mazda family proportions, with
large headlamps flanking a pentagonal grille, the shape is less
angular and more organic than that of the 3 and far more graceful than
the 2's awkward predecessor. Mazda's signature raised hood sweeps up
cleanly into the A-pillars, and the aggressive fender bulges plunge
down into rakish body lines that shoot up the sides of the car to the
taillamps, perched just below a high and tight rear window.

In Japan and Europe, power for the 2 will come from a selection of gas
engines, with a diesel set to join the party later. Two 1.3-liter
inline-fours offer 74 or 82 horsepower. The big-daddy 1.5-liter spews
out 101 horsepower and gently tugs on the asphalt with a cool 100
pound-feet of torque. The five-speed manual did not have to be
internally reinforced to handle this power output.

So, will the Mazda 2 make it to the U.S.? Not with either of those 1.3-
liter engines, it won't. But the bigger four's power figures are
competitive with the Fit's. Mazda is resisting saying it will bring
the car over here, saying instead that it is waiting to see how the
2's competitors-mainly the Fit and the Toyota Yaris-fare here.

Old February 20th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Interesting! I say bring it on. Diesel version too! Don't wait, come on in
with the leaders of the bandwagon to the US. Some day Americans will surely
wake up and smell the coffee, won't we? ;-)

What's with that nasty boxy version? I was thinking how nice the cars lines
were and BAM! out pops the pictures of the version with the upper rear of
the hatch as boxy as a Scion XB but uglier (by far). There must be 2
versions, I vote for just one and make it the good looking one!

Chris
99BBB

oups.com...

Old February 20th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...8-mazda-2.html

> 2008 Mazda 2 - Auto Shows
> The Geneva debut of Mazda's B-segment fighter has everyone asking:
> Will Mazda bring this compact hatch to the U.S.?
> BY JARED GALL, February 2007
>

> Mazda recently announced that its Mazda 2 five-door hatchback will
> debut at the Geneva motor show in March. Measuring two feet shorter
> than the Mazda 3 hatchback, the 2 is even slightly shorter than a
> Honda Fit. Like most B-segment cars, the 2 sits tall on a long
> wheelbase to provide maximum room for people and gear in minimal
> space. The wheels are stretched so far to the corners that the rear
> overhang is barely more than the thickness of the bumper.
>

> Although the 2's face retains strong Mazda family proportions, with
> large headlamps flanking a pentagonal grille, the shape is less
> angular and more organic than that of the 3 and far more graceful than
> the 2's awkward predecessor. Mazda's signature raised hood sweeps up
> cleanly into the A-pillars, and the aggressive fender bulges plunge
> down into rakish body lines that shoot up the sides of the car to the
> taillamps, perched just below a high and tight rear window.
>
> In Japan and Europe, power for the 2 will come from a selection of gas
> engines, with a diesel set to join the party later. Two 1.3-liter
> inline-fours offer 74 or 82 horsepower. The big-daddy 1.5-liter spews
> out 101 horsepower and gently tugs on the asphalt with a cool 100
> pound-feet of torque. The five-speed manual did not have to be
> internally reinforced to handle this power output.
>
> So, will the Mazda 2 make it to the U.S.? Not with either of those 1.3-
> liter engines, it won't. But the bigger four's power figures are
> competitive with the Fit's. Mazda is resisting saying it will bring
> the car over here, saying instead that it is waiting to see how the
> 2's competitors-mainly the Fit and the Toyota Yaris-fare here.

I just googled it, and it's not all that attractive. At least the Honda
Jazz doesn't take itself too seriously; you can buy one in metallic pink.
Old February 22nd 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes

> > wrote...
>> http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...8-mazda-2.html

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote...

> What's with that nasty boxy version? I was thinking how nice the cars
> lines were and BAM! out pops the pictures of the version with the
> upper rear of the hatch as boxy as a Scion XB but uglier (by far).
> There must be 2 versions, I vote for just one and make it the good
> looking one!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Note the caption. The first few pics are the 2008 Mazda 2. Then there are
some pics of the "boxy" 2007 Mazda 2.

-Scott
Old February 22nd 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-02-19, > wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...8-mazda-2.html

> Although the 2's face retains strong Mazda family proportions, with
> large headlamps flanking a pentagonal grille, the shape is less
> angular and more organic than that of the 3

I would have spelled that "less elegant and more ugly than the
3", but I don't get paid by the automotive industry.

I just don't like the "flying wedge" look.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm having a MID-WEEK
at CRISIS!
Old February 22nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> What's with that nasty boxy version? I was thinking how nice the
> cars lines were and BAM! out pops the pictures of the version with
> the upper rear of the hatch as boxy as a Scion XB but uglier (by
> far).

I noticed the same, the old version is totally FUGLY while the newer
version is completely FUGLY. It's nice they could redesign the car
while keeping all the ugly.

Lately Mazda has the corner on ugly, very few can compete with them.

Old February 22nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-02-22, XS11E > wrote:
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> What's with that nasty boxy version? I was thinking how nice
>> the cars lines were and BAM! out pops the pictures of the
>> version with the upper rear of the hatch as boxy as a Scion XB
>> but uglier (by far).

> I noticed the same, the old version is totally FUGLY while the
> newer version is completely FUGLY. It's nice they could
> redesign the car while keeping all the ugly.
>
> Lately Mazda has the corner on ugly, very few can compete with
> them.

I'd have to agree with that one. The RX-8 was just nasty --
inside and out, and I notice they've re-styled the NC MX-5 to
look more like the RX-8. I think The CX-7 is ugly as well.

The 3 is about the only thing in the current line-up that I
like the looks of.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! HAIR TONICS, please!!
at
Old February 22nd 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'd have to agree with that one. The RX-8 was just nasty --
> inside and out, and I notice they've re-styled the NC MX-5 to
> look more like the RX-8. I think The CX-7 is ugly as well.
>
> The 3 is about the only thing in the current line-up that I
> like the looks of.

For me it is not just Mazda either.
I thought that most of the the 1980's automobiles had horrible styling,
but that was vastly improved with many cars during the 1990's.
Now the 2000+ models are not looking very good in most cases, imho, at
least until you start to spend pretty serious money.

I saw a NC PRHT yesterday that did look disturbingly like the RX-8, not
good. I think it just got permanently crossed off my list.

Pat
Old February 22nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-02-22, pws > wrote:

>> I'd have to agree with that one. The RX-8 was just nasty --
>> inside and out, and I notice they've re-styled the NC MX-5 to
>> look more like the RX-8. I think The CX-7 is ugly as well.
>>
>> The 3 is about the only thing in the current line-up that I
>> like the looks of.

> For me it is not just Mazda either.
>
> I thought that most of the the 1980's automobiles had horrible
> styling, but that was vastly improved with many cars during
> the 1990's. Now the 2000+ models are not looking very good in
> most cases, imho, at least until you start to spend pretty
> serious money.
>
> I saw a NC PRHT yesterday that did look disturbingly like the
> RX-8, not good.

The NC isn't as bad as the MX-8, but the both seem to be just a
random collection of details (vents, flares, creases, bulges,
useless chrome bits, etc). Neither seems to have much all
"design" to it. It's like they formed a committee of 10-15
people and each committee member came up (in complete
isolation) with 1-2 little details they liked. Then they just
closed their eyes and threw the whole lot at a drawing board.

Even the chrome-and-fin monsters of the 50s-60s felt like they
been designed by one person (even if you didn't particularly
like his taste).

Maybe I'm just getting too old...

> I think it just got permanently crossed off my list.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of good used NBs around
until somebody comes out with something else I like.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! I'm having a
at quadraphonic sensation
Old February 22nd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

> The NC isn't as bad as the MX-8, but the both seem to be just a
> random collection of details (vents, flares, creases, bulges,
> useless chrome bits, etc). Neither seems to have much all
> "design" to it. It's like they formed a committee of 10-15
> people and each committee member came up (in complete
> isolation) with 1-2 little details they liked. Then they just
> closed their eyes and threw the whole lot at a drawing board.

Agreed. To each their own of course.
The RX-8 is one of the few cars that I liked less the more I saw it,
normally my opinion on how a car looks either remains unchanged or
changes for the better, like with the M2.

> Even the chrome-and-fin monsters of the 50s-60s felt like they
> been designed by one person (even if you didn't particularly
> like his taste).

Agreed again, this is getting scary.

> Maybe I'm just getting too old...

Nah, you have been too old for a while now, but look at the alternative.

> Hopefully there'll be plenty of good used NBs around
> until somebody comes out with something else I like.

The prices on them are crashing so fast it is incredible, and there are
so many to choose from in this area.
I really need a car that can actually carry something, (want roof rack),
but if the prices keep dropping, a nice M2/NB and another reliable but
semi-beater sedan or wagon will become a good possibility.

Pat