electrical issue in my cj, surprise! surprise!

Old March 11th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
don't shoot the messanger

Default electrical issue in my cj, surprise! surprise!

okay, i was having trouble with my tail lights not lighting, found a short
and replaced them. All bulbs are the same wattage/amperage, but now when I
turn on my signals, my engine lopes in time with the blinking. Also, I seem
to be blowing the fuses for my tail/stop lights, and turn sigs alot not.
Lost as to the cause... Please help.

Its a '75 CJ5 with a 258.
The harness looks worked over, pretty dried out, and the engine side of the
bulkhead connector looks to have been subject to a minor meltdown some time
in the past. I have had the jeep for about 3 years and have not had any
issues with the electrical system before, so I have not examined the b/h
conn before, so Im not sure if I bought it that way or if it happened while
I've owned it.

Old March 11th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain[_2_]

don't shoot the messanger wrote:
> okay, i was having trouble with my tail lights not lighting, found a
> short and replaced them. All bulbs are the same wattage/amperage, but
> now when I turn on my signals, my engine lopes in time with the
> blinking. Also, I seem to be blowing the fuses for my tail/stop lights,
> and turn sigs alot not. Lost as to the cause... Please help.
>
> Its a '75 CJ5 with a 258.
> The harness looks worked over, pretty dried out, and the engine side of
> the bulkhead connector looks to have been subject to a minor meltdown
> some time in the past. I have had the jeep for about 3 years and have
> not had any issues with the electrical system before, so I have not
> examined the b/h conn before, so Im not sure if I bought it that way or
> if it happened while I've owned it.

CJ's are bad for ground theft which causes symptoms like you mention.
There is a main body tub and frame ground, usually a mesh cable in each
case that go ratty then the signals and brakes can load up the system
and pulse things and blow fuses.

One ground jumps across an engine mount, the other is usually from the
rear of the engine to the firewall.

A bad connection on the main battery cables will also cause a pulse
issue. They are likely due for a good clean. Don't forget that battery
cables have two ends and both need a clean.

All the wires also have a common connection at the fender starter
relay/solenoid unit, it is also prone to dirty posts which cause low
power issues like you describe.

The engine side of the bulkhead connector will look all black and tarry,
this is normal. They even used duct tape in the harness in places, so
those aren't butcher jobs by some other owner.

There is a really good jeep forum where a lot of CJ experts hang out at
www.jeepforum.com. You should be able to get more help there than here.

My 86 wiring harness finally gave up the ghost, it was really dried out
and rotted, (I am in the rust belt) nothing to solder to in places even
so I finally bit the bullet and installed a brand new harness in January
made by Centech. It went in really nice and had all the basic wires for
a good runner included. It even worked first try. :-)

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com